Real Name
Sam Posten

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Nice start. We'll see if it sustains. Too much already on Sundays right now (Dexter, True Blood, Ray Donovan, Newsroom, Breaking Bad) so I'm trying to schedule it in ;)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It feels like it'll be a slow burn that comes together about halfway through. Seen the original UK version, which had some issues, but we'll see if this one avoids those problems.

And I don't think I can not watch weekly Mark Strong.

I dug it, by and large. The cast is strong, and they did a good job in setting up an escalating situation. That said, every time Lennie James spat out a perfectly-executed monologue, it felt a little contrived. The fact that it all might be rehearsed sort of saves it, but this premise feels more like a film than a TV series.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
mattCR said:
Too much already on Sundays right now (Dexter, True Blood, Ray Donovan, Newsroom, Breaking Bad) so I'm trying to schedule it in ;)
Just curious, in this day and age why does it matter what night a show is on? Even if your DVR can't handle the conflicts, all of the shows you mention are re-aired at various times during the week. Not to mention On Demand.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Scott Hanson said:
Just curious, in this day and age why does it matter what night a show is on? Even if your DVR can't handle the conflicts, all of the shows you mention are re-aired at various times during the week. Not to mention On Demand.
Well, my work schedule is messy. Yeah, I've got 12 TV tuners on my HTPC, so I'm covered.. but still, I prefer to have it not quickly spoiled.. big name shows I tend to try and go through. So, I saved Ray Donovan and Newsroom for today. etc.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
AMC is hoping this will be the next Breaking Bad, which has Gale Boetticher, Captain Montgomery, Sinestro, and a couple people from Jericho, in a show that takes place in Detroit (which is not mentioned until near the end). ;) Still, I like it enough to keep watching. I get the feeling that the IA agent will get killed off in the end of the season, only because he is played by David Costabile. His characters always get written off one way or another, from all the shows I've seen him in. Still, even with that recognizable voice, he plays his roles really well.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I'm not quite sure this show is going to click with me at all. After watching the two episodes, nothing has grabbed me or made me want to find out more about what's going on. The characters I find very dull, boring and predictible for the most part. But, I don't care for shows like Breaking Bad or The Bridge either as the writing and characters just are not enjoyable for me to watch.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
It hasn't become a 'go to' show for me just yet, when compared to shows like last seasons 'The Americans' or this year's 'The Bridge' but I'm sticking around I was (seemingly) the only one who watched Detroit 187 from a few years back and the backdrop of Detroit adds a lot of character to the show, at least for me.

My biggest issue so far with the show is that you would think homicide detectives would be able to plan a homicide better, but I guess the emotions of their situations may have gotten the best of them. I'm enjoying the cast, and I'm happy to see Billy Lush back on television, from The Chicago Code (a show that I thought ran far too briefly.) I like the uneasy 'partnership' between Frank and Joe. Also glad to see Captain Montgomery back on television after his exit from Castle.

- Walter.

NolanJ

Second Unit
After such an intense drama as Breaking Bad, AMC would be better served developing a comedy to follow it. I'm too drained to watch another drama after an episode of Breaking Bad.

I know there is the DVR culture, but I would imagine the majority of people who watch a program watch it as it airs.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
NolanJ said:
After such an intense drama as Breaking Bad, AMC would be better served developing a comedy to follow it. I'm too drained to watch another drama after an episode of Breaking Bad.

I know there is the DVR culture, but I would imagine the majority of people who watch a program watch it as it airs.
Not even close, everyone I know of can't stand commercials and always DVR their shows. Just talking to a neighbor the other day and he said he records all his shows due to work and has gotten to the point where everything is DVR including local news just to skip the commercials.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm still watching it for now, but I'm really not into the young drug pimps segments. I know they tie directly in to McCann, but those parts are really boring right now. It feels like two separate shows that sometimes intersect.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Jeffery_H said:
Not even close, everyone I know of can't stand commercials and always DVR their shows. Just talking to a neighbor the other day and he said he records all his shows due to work and has gotten to the point where everything is DVR including local news just to skip the commercials.
Yeah I don't know of anyone who watches shows as they air. Even my parents in their late 60's DVR and watch later and will even do OnDemand before watching it live.

For a show like Breaking Bad in it's final season, I may watch it the night it airs but I would make sure not to start watching it until at least 20 minutes in.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
So the season/series finale was last night, I thought it wrapped things up nicely. The series had some issues.

The main one being we really didn't get enough backround/insight into the characters to care much about them.

I can't imagine it will get a second season due to the low rating.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I just finished watching this season, and thought the finale was a letdown. It went from Frank Agnew being this conflicted cop, who looked like he was about to do the right things, only for it to go back to "business as usual". I have a hard time believing that he would let it go, when it came to the killing of Katia, just like that.

Don't get me started on Damon and that subplot with Skelos! What a waste!
This is definitely not the next "Breaking Bad', as I thought the story was a mess. And a huge mistake to schedule it between "Breaking Bad" and "Talking Bad", as I usually take a break from TV when "Breaking Bad" ended. After watching BB, the only other show I would want to watch within a couple hours, is "Talking Bad".The performances of Mark Strong, Lennie James, David Constabile, and even Sprague Grayden (who was not her usual whiny role) are what made this show a lot more watchable. Especially Strong, who was just amazing to watch.
MarkMel said:
I can't imagine it will get a second season due to the low rating.
Me either, as the ratings just kept getting lower and lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks