What's new

Love Happy - Marx Brothers (when?) (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Love Happy with the Marx Brothers, Ilona Massey, Vera Ellen, and a cameo by Marilyn Monroe.

Can anyone tell me if this title which was released in 1950 through Republic Pictures, will ever come out on DVD. It's out on VHS.

Some said it wasn't funny but I enjoyed this 'B' movie and its musical numbers.

Eric

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Any Harpo is good Harpo. I would purchase this in a moment to complete the teams work together.

FrankXS

Second Unit
Eric
It's coming out on DVD in mid June. Check out moviesunlimited.com. They have it listed.

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
This looks like a good place to post this, but with the new Marx Brothers boxed set coming in May, will there be a chance to pick up Horse Feathers, Duck Soup or Room Service as well?
I know they are (IIRC) owned by a different company, and I know there was an old box set that had these movies in it. Any chance we'll see that set again (or released seperately)?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ben,

That's a good question.

Duck Soup, The Cocoanuts, Horsefeather and
Monkey Business were released years ago on
DVD through IMAGE entertainment who licensed them
from Universal (despite being Paramount titles).

They were discontinued long ago.

I haven't really been able to get a clear answer
as to whether these films are getting new treatments
from Universal, or if the rights have gone back to
Paramount.

You would think with this being the year
The Marx Brothers are shining on this format, someone
would be doing something to get those titles out on
DVD.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Ron I very much doubt they will go back to Paramount. I believe almost all the pre 1948 Paramount films are now owned by Universal. Unfortunately Universal seem to be fairly clueless about what to do with the majority of this catalog. I've said this before and got told most of these titles have very little visibility these days apart from the Marx Brothers and W.C. Fields and wouldn't sell well (very sad if true). I mean Warners are doing very well with their classics including titles a few years ago I never thought would be released like the Lon Chaney set.

Personally I don't understand a company that releases Ma and Pa Kettle, Francis the Talking Mule and even Abbott and Costello fit in this category I have to say which are really mainly B movies and leaves the Marx Brothers, W.C. Fields, Gary Cooper (though The Plainsman is coming I believe), Ernst Lubitsch, Preston Sturges, Film Noir classics and Marlene Dietrich sitting on the shelf.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
"Personally I don't understand a company that releases Ma and Pa Kettle, Francis the Talking Mule and even Abbott and Costello fit in this category I have to say which are really mainly B movies..."

Derek, they're probably releasing them on DVD because most of these films are still very popular today, and did very well on home video.

Many of them are pretty good movies too!

Who is releasing LOVE HAPPY on DVD?

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Yes I know I was told that before, just my opinion that they are hardly great examples of Hollywood in the 40s and 50s. If you and most of the DVD buying public prefer Donald O'Connor talking to a horse to Double Indemnity or Duck Soup I find that really sad. Oh well maybe they will come in time but Paramount's output particularly of the 30s is woefully under-represented on DVD. Most of the titles which are available are either public domain or sent to Criterion or Kino for the "arthouse" market.

My perspective on this is if Warner was releasing catalog product the way Universal does we would have no releases of the high profile As of the 30s which won Academy Awards but eight film sets of the Andy Hardy series or worse.

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) would only be available in some absurdly priced big box which meant you had to buy the inferior 1962 remake in order to get it.

Yes the Universal sets are good value but if you believe this is the best stuff they can release from their classic catalog you are very sadly mistaken. Actually I never thought I'd say this but Universal in the UK are doing a much better job than their American couterpart.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Double Indemnity, Duck Soup - on DVD? When???

Give me plenty of advance notice though. I don't want it to conflict with a screening of Ma & Pa Kettle on Old MacDonald's Farm...

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

And I'm glad they are being released. I have thoroughly enjoyed the A&C and Kettle sets. These DVDs are first class all the way and have certainly made many new fans for these films.

I've read in one of the classic movie newsgroups where Universal has a Fields collection coming within a year. Supposedly Universal has been very pleased with the sales of the A&C/Kettle sets and will continue the formula.

With the Marx films coming, 2004 has been a banner year for classic comedy. Are there more films that could be released? You bet, but my pocketbook would prefer they be released over time.

Steve

AlexHL

Stunt Coordinator

Indeed. There's a region 2 set from Universal containing Duck Soup, Animal Crackers, Horse Feathers and Monkey Business.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Film taste is subjective and I find some of your comments insulting when you're indicting the film taste of others that may counter your taste in film.

By the way, Love Happy is up for preorder at Lasersedge for $10.49

Crawdaddy

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Same here. I picked up the boxed set of Animal Crackers, Duck Soup, and Horse Feathers for something like $10-20 after just seeing it laying around at Best Buy. Good thing I did, otherwise I might have missed out on getting to enjoy these classics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks