What's new

Loud Disc Drive on XBOX 360 (1 Viewer)

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
My friend just bought an XBOX 360 recently to upgrade from his regular XBOX and was telling me last night that the 360 is very loud when it is playing the game disc. He says it sounds like a helicopter.

Is a loud disc drive a common issue with the 360? Is there any way to make it quieter?

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Yes,it is a common issue with the 360. Mine is loud as well. However, once you get into the game you're playing you don't really notice it, or at least I don't! Not nearly as quiet as my stand alone dvd player. Thats why I only play games on it and don't use it to watch movies. To my knowledge, there is no way to make it quieter. If you do come across a way to make it quieter, please post a thread on it!

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Mine is starting to get a bit too loud; my concern is that the noise isn't more along the lines of the where the lens is doing lots of reads or the disc is just constantly spinning, but more along the lines that it sounds like the spindle/hub/whatever it's called is generating noises as if it's starting to wear out or as if something is out of balance. Heck--at one point it even generated a "cannot read disc" error after a long and noisy stretch, at which point I had to eject/reload the disc and reboot. Methinks the spindle motor might be going bad...

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Mine runs more quietly when placed on its side than when it is standing upright. It also seems to run a bit smoother. This isn't a dramatic change, but it is noticeable.

Unfortunately, I have yet to hear of one that isn't kind of loud. It doesn't bother me when I'm gaming, but watching HD DVDs can sometimes be a bit annoying during quiet passages.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.