What's new

Lou for You (Lou Lumenick's NY Post columns on DVDs) (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
It was Jean Renoir-not Rene Clair--who worked with Ms. Durbin on THE AMAZING MRS. HOLLIDAY. Renoir also directed SWAMP WATER. Durbin was married to Charles David who was an Assistant Director on GRAND ILLUSION.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/322306/lou-for-you-lou-lumenicks-ny-post-columns-on-dvds/120#post_4014031
Lou's last article for the year with some interesting tidbits.

Crawdaddy

Thanks for the link, Crawdaddy. I always enjoy Lou's columns and hope he hasn't abandoned us.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I very much doubt that. I think he's just busy prepping end-of-year reviews of theatrical releases.

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
Robert is correct. There was a mad rush to finish reviews and take care of administrative details before my last work day of 2012, Dec. 14. I'll be back in a few days. Happy holidays to all my friends at Home Theater Forum.

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
This week's column is a look at the Fox Cinema Archives release of SLAVE SHIP http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_slave_ship_NHNQ0cMvmd1PZTQx8Abi7M#axzz2Gy7LdJJb

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
Vitaphoning it in -- a look at the Blu-ray upgrade for THE JAZZ SINGER and three recent shorts collections released by the Warner Archive Collection.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Lou-- Do you know the release date for the next round of Fox Cinema Archive titles? Thanks!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I bet THE JAZZ SINGER never looked,sounded of synced as well in "Real life" in 1927 as it does on Blu-Ray!

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator
Lou Lumenick said:
Vitaphoning it in -- a look at the Blu-ray upgrade for THE JAZZ SINGER and three recent shorts collections released by the Warner Archive Collection.
Where is this column located?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As usual, it's an enjoyable article. I think he erred, however, in saying Jolson starred in the stage version of The Jazz Singer. I believe George Jessel was the original star which is why he was first choice for the movie version. Jolson was the second choice after Jessel's negotiations broke down. Then he starred in a kind of offshoot of his stage role in Lucky Boy where he sang the song he became famous for: "My Mother's Eyes."

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
Originally Posted by MattH.
As usual, it's an enjoyable article. I think he erred, however, in saying Jolson starred in the stage version of The Jazz Singer. I believe George Jessel was the original star which is why he was first choice for the movie version.
You're right.
He also errs when casually mentioning "talking sequences, a technology that had been used in various forms for shorts for two decades but never really captured the public's imagination."
That sentence gives the impression that shorts with sound had been fairly common for twenty years but simply didn't catch on.
Fact is, sound experiments were extremely rare prior to 1926. I doubt that even one percent of movie goers had had an opportunity to see one in their entire lifetimes until that year.
And the reason they didn't catch on? According to Lou, "none of them had Al Jolson, a legendary stage performer who electrified audiences..." Actually, Lou, the reason they didn't catch on was that they were technically not feasible until the invention of things like microphones, amplifiers, and loudspeakers.
I appreciate Lou's enthusiasm for classic film, and usually enjoy his articles, but this time... talk about "phoning it in"!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Berkshires said:
I appreciate Lou's enthusiasm for classic film, and usually enjoy his articles, but this time... talk about "phoning it in"!  
or "Vita-phoning" it in :)

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
Reviews of Criterion's THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH '34, Twilight Time's EXPERIMENT IN TERROR, and a couple of obscure thrillers from Sony Pictures On Demand http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/rogell_extra_thrills_and_chills_hWbngxmE6y2csTqwzjyRDP#axzz2IFuHyGw6

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
Reviewing Criterion's ON THE WATERFRONT, Fox's HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY and lots of announcements.. http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_blu_the_waterfront_other_tVWa1jnwDQyTcDq9WtEweL#axzz2LJFh19sY

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
FCA also plans to release Say One for Me with this round of titles. I'm not sure why this title is absent from Mr. Lumenick's list. Also, I haven't noticed a pre-order option for Thanks a Million at moviesunlimited.com ccvideo.com and screenarchives.com. Could it be that FCA decided not to release Thanks a Million at this time? :confused:

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
Moe, I stand corrected. Unfaithfully Yours is indeed still available from the Criterion Collection, though Amazon only has it only from third-party sellers. Criterion sometimes licenses on a non-exclusive basis; Sony is putting out another Criterion title, Anatomy of a Murder, through its MOD program this month. Universal released its own version of My Man Godfrey last year. Justin, Say One for Me wasn't in the FCA press release. Thanks A Million was. Sometimes they announce stuff and pull it back. This happened to Deadline USA. This week's column covers Warner Archives Collection's Philo Vance Collection, the Dead End Kids in Hell's Kitchen, West of Shanghai with Boris Karloff, the uber-rare Rare of the Dragon, and the Lucille Ball-Victor Mature musical Seven Days' Leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks