1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lou for You (Lou Lumenick's NY Post columns on DVDs)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bob Cashill, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Lou Lumenick

Lou Lumenick Insider
    Insider

DVD only, like the earlier Frank Sinatra and John Wayne 10-title sets probably with the same flimsy cardboard packaging. Lists for $50, but I'd expect closer to $30 when it goes up at Amazon.

2. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Well-Known Member

Excellent essay on JOHN, Lou. A strange movie that I watched on that TCM telecast.

3. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    Great background on MY SON JOHN. Over the years I thought I had read just about everything on the title, but Lou, you taught me a few things. I have never see it, but it has been on my Holy Grail of film missions since I read story on Helen Hayes decades ago. Now it is on pre-order and I will have the pleasure of crossing it off my bucket list. It is kind of scary for that list is getting shorter.

4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I agree. I greatly enjoyed the essay on the film, and it certainly piqued my curiosity to check it out when I get a chance.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  6. ahollis

Allen
    Watched it tonight and was completely taken in by Helen Hayes' acting along with Dean Jagger's. While I was watching the film, I remembered that Helen and Van Heflin would be sharing seats on an airplane 18 years later in AIRPORT. I wonder if they talked of Robert Walker and the making of MY SON JOHN between takes on that film.

I was truly brought into this film and sat at the edge of my seat many times. The tricks they used to finish the film after Robert Walker's death near the finish of production only allowed the film to be more intense.

7. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    Didn't read the article earlier because I didn't want to spoil the movie, but I had no idea that Robert Walker died during production. It certainly puts the last 30-40 minutes of the movie into a new light.

8. Lou Lumenick

Lou Lumenick Insider
    Insider

Henry King's ultra-rare THE COUNTRY DOCTOR (1936) with the Dionne Quintuplets and a couple of other rarities from the Fox Cinema Archives.
    http://www.classicflix.com/lord-columbia-classics-p-4950.html

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Lou:

Your link directs to Columbia's Lord Jim @ classicflix.com.

10. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Well-Known Member

Correct: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_the_country_doctor_starring_IhHO0oGw95qx6G1EbpEKgK

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Thanks, Bob!

Lou: You have sold me on The Country Doctor.

My mom was born in 1930 and has always referenced the Dionne Quints throughout my lifetime. They were quite a big deal "back in the day."

I think this is something she would really like to see. Thanks.

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

And...thanks to Lou's column...I now know the word "lagniappe."

13. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    The big draw for me in the Fox Cinema Archives are the 1930s rarities that probably wouldn't have ever gotten retail releases, and most of them appear to be recent transfers. Looking forward for a chance to see Country Doctor and Banjo on My Knee.
    Having seen Nancy Steele is Missing, I have to agree on the very unusual premise. It's a fairly similar role he plays in The Informer--an Irishman and and outsider. But this time around, he's sort of a pacifistic-extremist in the fact that he kidnaps the daughter of the munitions magnate for political reasons and is violent toward anyone who speaks of going to war. Him practically getting a jail sentence for his conscientious objector status as having "anarchist tendencies" and being portrayed as a victim of the system was also quite a bit ahead of its time.
    Sure, McLagelan's character becoming a surrogate father to the kidnapped girl later in the film is most unusual, being in essence a sympathetic kidnapper, is most unusual during the production code. Perhaps Joseph Breen had a soft spot for the Irish character and felt him spending most of his life behind bars was punishment enough. At any rate I though the film was quite good in spite of (or because of) its odd premise and the good performances all-around
    Peter Lorre is definitely a highlight, but what is more interesting it that the character of Mr. Moto appears being formulated in this movie. Outside of him being a criminal looking to make a fast buck in an intricate fraud scheme, as soon as he is out of prison, he dons the equivalent of the Moto glasses and disguises himself in a manner similar to Moto. It's not too much of a stretch considering his next film would be the screen debut of Mr. Moto assuming it wasn't already in production.
    Hopefully Fox can get his other Fox films out of the vaults, Crack-Up and Lancer Spy.

14. Lou Lumenick

Lou Lumenick Insider
    Insider

The sublime LONESOME (1928) and two other rare films from director Paul Fejos; the TCM Vault's UNIVERSAL RARIETIES including SOULS AT SEA (1937), MILLION DOLLAR LEGS (1932)
    http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_universal_rarieties_real_IIHEIELBqjonlCtJwag7zM

15. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    That's great news about Souls at Sea. I have the region 2 release of it. Warner is fast depleting what's left of Bogart's film library at Warner.

Crawdaddy

16. Lou Lumenick

Lou Lumenick Insider
    Insider

Reviewing Blake Edwards' HIGH TIME (1960) with Bing Crosby, Fabian from Twilight Time; and listing next week's wave of 15 Fox Cinema Archive titles, including Michael Gordon's I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE (1951) starring Susan Hayward, Dan Dailey, George Sanders and a raft of character actors.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_der_bingle_goes_to_college_P9Ypkw3TkhFWkGPWNVsbzJ

17. Justin Ray

Justin Ray Well-Known Member

Justin Ray
    Good evening, Mr. Lumenick,
    You seem to have a tremendous connection with the folks on the home video front. Can you tell me if the Fox Cinema Archive line plans to release A Message to Garcia and/or This is My Affair before the year's end?
    Thanks so much-- always look forward to your reviews :)

18. Lou Lumenick

Lou Lumenick Insider
    Insider

A review of THIS IS CINERAMA, looking surprisingly great on Blu-ray, and an exclusive look at October's Fox Cinema Archives releases:
    http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_happy_th_anniversary_this_FIZoi7f1k4C622ypHl9l1O

19. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Hey, Lou,

Enjoyed your column as always. But wasn't The Greatest Story Ever Told shot in Ultra Panavision 70 (like Mad, Mad World) rather than Super Panavision 70 (like 2001)?

20. ahollis

Allen
    That is full of information. I have already pre-ordered the Cinerama films from Flicker Alley, so thanks for your thoughts on both pictures. I also hope that Fox finally gets the point on the OAR and anamorphic on their widescreen releases so I am looking forward to your post when you find out.

Thanks.