What's new

Lou for You (Lou Lumenick's NY Post columns on DVDs) (2 Viewers)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Lou Lumenick /t/322306/lou-for-you-lou-lumenicks-ny-post-columns-on-dvds#post_3950675
An update to this week's column:
The Rookies - Asp. Ratio: 4:3 1.33 FF
One Foot in Hell - Asp. Ratio: 16:9 2.35 LBX
The Secret of the Purple Reef - Asp. Ratio: 4:3 P/S 1.33
The Day the Fish Came Out - Asp. Ratio: 4:3 1.33 FF
The Secret World. - Asp. Ratio: 16:9 1.78 FF
Thanks!

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_shysters_con_men_and_fallen_GAcUPgu3qXgkbPXwkuJnSI
"Forbidden Hollywood,'' Vol. 4 and 5 and "The Columbia Pictures Pre-Code Collection.''

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
DVD Extra: 'Jaws' with bite, a grand 'Ilusion,' high-end restorations and classics converted to 3-D
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_jaws_grand_illusion_high_B1IgCcH9TRNzHvd0VubOxN

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Warner,

How many times are you going to release Gone with the Wind, The Exorcist and The Wizard of Oz? What is the improvement with these upcoming 2013 releases? I bought those titles so many times, it's starting to make my head spin. If you want to revisit some titles, how about The Searchers and Rio Bravo which many have complained about the color being off in the last Blu-ray releases. Okay, my rant is done. Anyhow, great job Warner, I just wanted to voice some legitimate concerns that will surely be brought up by others. Also, regarding future 3-D releases, I hope that means titles such as The House of Wax will get release too along with those titles they are converting to 3-D.

Crawdaddy

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Mr. Lumenick,
Very dissapointed to see that in the 2nd wave of the Fox titles, most of them are still full frame/pan and scan of scope movies. It is such a shame that Fox, the company that invented Cinemascope cares so little to show their masterpieces properly. It appears that only two are coming out OAR.
i have tried to explain to the contact that I confer with that this is not going to sell titles. They keep saying that it costs a lot to remaster. Maybe they have restore and remaster confused. I'm really not asking for much in regards to the quality of the transfer. I just want the OAR so that I can see the director and cinematographers proper compositions. I am not asking for a Wizard of Oz 8k restoration.
I don't understand why Fox and to some extent, MGM can't do this. I can't imagine Warner and Columbia have so much more money flying around then they do. Warner is releasing everything in OAR or waiting until they can afford to do so. Why can't these other companies do so?
Is there any hope Lou that you can share this information or post with your contact? I feel that maybe they don't know just what they are going up against with Warner. It is like they are a grade school football team going up against a four time super bowl champion team that is also on steroids. I can't see them succeeding if they continue with that mentality of release what we have. I feel that should be the case only if what you have is of acceptable quality and OAR.
Do you think they are taking any of our feedback to heart? As a film fan I sure hope so. If not, tell them I have a film degree and would love to work as their home video department master supervisor :)
Thanks for your wonderful comments and your very informative column.
-Mark Pytel

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Robert Crawford said:
Warner,
How many times are you going to release Gone with the Wind, The Exorcist and The Wizard of Oz?  What is the improvement with these upcoming 2013 releases?  I bought those titles so many times, it's starting to make my head spin.  If you want to revisit some titles, how about The Searchers and Rio Bravo which many have complained about the color being off in the last Blu-ray releases.  Okay, my rant is done.  Anyhow, great job Warner, I just wanted to voice some legitimate concerns that will surely be brought up by others.  Also, regarding future 3-D releases, I hope that means titles such as The House of Wax will get release too along with those titles they are converting to 3-D. 
Crawdaddy
I don't care how many times they release titles as long as they don't reduce quality. As for converting titles to 3-D, I think that's a waste of money. There's not that much you can do with a conversion. I saw Titanic in 3-D and it was not much. The only interesting 3-D effects came in the sinking of the ship, and I bet those were redone in the studio. If you think you can make substantial money on a 3-D conversion of a particular title (like TWOO), go ahead, In the long run, I think 3-D conversions of old titles won't be that desired.

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
Mark, when I reviewed the first wave of FCA titles I devoted part of my column to complaining about the pan-and-scan transfers and saying I don't think they're going to fly with the sort of cinephiles Fox hopes to sell DVDs to. But on the other hand, new transfers cost money and I think once FCA starts showing some cash flow they may begin investing some of it in improving the product. This is what happened with the Warner Archive Collection; it took a year or so before they began a serious remastering program, At the outset, WAC used the OAR transfers they had on hand, which is what I would have done if I were running FCA. As for MGM, I can't begin to understand what is going on over there.
Lou

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Lou Lumenick
Mark, when I reviewed the first wave of FCA titles I devoted part of my column to complaining about the pan-and-scan transfers and saying I don't think they're going to fly with the sort of cinephiles Fox hopes to sell DVDs to. But on the other hand, new transfers cost money and I think once FCA starts showing some cash flow they may begin investing some of it in improving the product. This is what happened with the Warner Archive Collection; it took a year or so before they began a serious remastering program, At the outset, WAC used the OAR transfers they had on hand, which is what I would have done if I were running FCA. As for MGM, I can't begin to understand what is going on over there.
Lou

You are one of the voices that FCA will hear along with reading this forum. I truly hope they will start releasing their scope films in anamorphic OAR. I have purchased about a dozen of their titles, but non from the scope era. I have been very happy with the transfers so far and unique films like CHICKEN EVERY SUNDAY looks pretty damn good. I am also impressed with the color for DO YOU LOVE ME and SWEET ROSIE O'GRADY. They possibly could have been better but to me they more than acceptable. I never would have thought that I would own the Charlotte Greenwood vehicle THE PERFECT SNOB, another decent transfer.

One thing that did make me sit up was that at the beginning of THE PERFECT SNOB, Fox placed the disclaimer that the picture was formatted to fit your TV. Not sure why this was placed on a 1941 film, but it did fit my TV perfectly at 1:37 to 1.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
At the outset, WAC used the OAR transfers they had on hand, which is what I would have done if I were running FCA.
Then they should stick to Academy ratio films for now, as their current practice of releasing widescreen films in 4:3 is getting them nothing but ill will.

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_marilyn_blu_streak_sWsc4MjOWytIqDeOEV5vHI
Besides looking at the Marilyn Monroe Blu-rays, the most interesting stuff is in the update at the end: Fox is going to release the first direct-to-Blu Ray 3-D conversion, I ROBOT on Oct. 23, debuting a new "Signature'' line with two Danny DeVito titles during the holiday season and will revive the Studio Classics line on Blu-ray in 2013. Plus speculation about plans for MGM's 90th anniversary (2014) and Fox's 100th anniversary (2015).

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
Lou Lumenick said:
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_marilyn_blu_streak_sWsc4MjOWytIqDeOEV5vHI
Besides looking at the Marilyn Monroe Blu-rays, the most interesting stuff is in the update at the end: Fox is going to release the first direct-to-Blu Ray 3-D conversion, I ROBOT on Oct. 23, debuting a new "Signature'' line with two Danny DeVito titles during the holiday season and will revive the Studio Classics line on Blu-ray in 2013. Plus speculation about plans for MGM's 90th anniversary (2014) and Fox's 100th anniversary (2015).
Mr.Lumenick,thx for sharing this wonderful news to us!
Do you think "Laura" will be included in Studio Classic Line?A great classic,IMO!The Flight of the Phoenix would be a great addition too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is great news. Thank you for that fine article. As I stated in another thread. "The River of No Return" has always been my favorite Monroe film. She seemed relax filming the movie. I suspect her knowing Mitchum beforehand, prior to the both of them becoming actors contributed to her fine performance, especially, considering how much film location was done for that movie.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Oliver Siegel /t/322306/lou-for-you-lou-lumenicks-ny-post-columns-on-dvds/30#post_3959966
Mr.Lumenick,thx for sharing this wonderful news to us!
Do you think "Laura" will be included in Studio Classic Line?A great classic,IMO!The Flight of the Phoenix would be a great addition too.

That would be great as it's among my favorite film noirs.

Crawdaddy

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'd also love to see Laura. One of my favorite film noirs too.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
News of an upcoming Robert Mitchum blu-ray set definitely has me anxious to see what is included. River of No Return will almost certainly be double dipped and I pray they don't cheat by including that botched The Longest Day blu-ray. I'm hoping some of the neglected MGM Mitchum titles get a pass--Bandido!, Foreign Intrigue, and Mister Moses topping the list and perhaps even (As Lou mentioned), White Witch Doctor
Update: Ah, looks like just another DVD collection. However, it seems to include every movie (already released) that Mitchum appeared from both Fox's and MGM's DVD line. Fox/MGM's past DVD collections this year should warn potential customers that the packaging will be extremely cheap and flimsy cardboard sleeves. Have spare DVD cases just in case.

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
This week's DVD Extra column: MY SON JOHN '52, the little-seen, evil political sibling of STRANGERS ON A TRAIN with the doomed Robert Walker, improbably turns up on Blu-ray
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_the_evil_sibling_of_strangers_Tvj6pvD3azwmWLFmorZktN

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks