What's new

LOTR: ROTK- EE DVD case colour ? (1 Viewer)

Paul James

Stunt Coordinator
What's everyone guess/hope for the colour of the DVD case for the Extended Edition of the Lord of The Rings - Return of the King DVD set ?

I think 'BLUE' would look great. :)

Paul

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
darn, for some reason I really wanted black/charcoal to go with the fight against Sauron's army. But I also see how white/cream would be appropriate. Blue, though...

Michael Holmes

Auditioning

It has?

Think about it... when you look at the theatrical poster designs for the 3 films, you can see a prevalent colour tone - for "Fellowship of the Ring", it was a dark green, and for "The Two Towers", it was maroon.

The Extended Edition DVDs took that colour design and used it to decorate the spanky boxes we have right now.

So, if you look at the theatrical poster design for "Return of the King" (Sorry, don't have enough posts for a direct link), it's obvious that there's a gold hue to the image.

In other words, 10 bucks says it's going to be gold. Besides, it would make no sense if it was blue - it wouldn't gel with the poster campaigns. Plus it would look better gold anyways...

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans

When you add the colors for the box art of the action figures, blue is the color for RotK. As were green and red. That's my two cents.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Gold would look quite kingly. It looks to be blue, but gold definitely would be great. A nice, earthy gold. Very attractive. :)

Blue, on the otherhand, might look good, but can look all wrong. There's light blue which would be too cheery and isn't the tone of the movie. Dark blue could look too depressing and wouldn't really go too well with the dark stains on the cover. Something inbetween might make it look quite ridiculous. Not to mention, if it were green, red and blue, it could risk the set looking pretty flamboyent with all these rainbow-like colors. Hopefully if blue is their color, they could get it the right shade. :D

But gold would definitely be best!

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
It's won't be Gold, as the accents on the FotR and TT are gold already.

I really don't think Gold would look right next to dark green and dark red anyway, it would be too bright.

The box will almost 100% certainly be blue, a nice deep dark blue, which will make the set the same colours as the current papaerbakc editions of the books. (though the colours of the two towers and Return of the King have been reversed)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I was thinking more of a brownish gold. But who am I kidding? Gold wouldn't work. It'd definitely be too bright. :b

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I always thought TTT should have been blue and ROTK deep red. I agree that gold wouldn't work because of the gold lettering.

If anyone wants to use my Green, Blue, red color scheme, its right here!

Ric

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I agree that Blue will be color for the ROTK theatrical and EE cases, as the action figure packaging use the same color scheme as the DVDs. Also, I'm certain that the tree of Gondor will be on the back of the EE case.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I think Blue is the only real option left. It's the only Earthy color left (unless you count Brown, but I don't think that would look good) Other than that, what else is left? Orange, Pink, Purple, Yellow? I wouldn't mind Black, but that's not really a color, and probably would not look consistant.

Strange why they used a different color scheme with the Limited Sountrack CDs in the leather cases. FOTR was in red, TTT in blue and ROTK in green. Not very consistent.

Michael Holmes

Auditioning
OK, let's look at this another way, then...

It's a bit hard for me to describe this without pictures due to this dumb HTML rule, so I'll try my best to explain it.

Look at the "normal" editions of the LotR films that have come out. For the DVDs, they use the theatrical poster art as the cover, with the Amaray case matching with the "prevalent colour scheme". As you can see, the colour of the Amaray case matches with the Extended Editions' cardboard cover so it looks nice.

We can assume that the colour of the Amaray case will be the colour of the EE's then, right?

So take the RotK poster art, and match it with a blue Amaray case for the "normal" edition DVD of the film.

In other words, blue wouldn't work. It would look like crap for the standard DVD of RotK, and considering that New Line has remained consistent so far with their packaging for these films, I just can't see the packaging being blue, since it won't match with the poster art at all.

I'm positive it's going to be gold/brown. Maybe I'll send an email to New Line to clarify...

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
My memory is pretty good, and I remember seeing in this forum a photo by New Line of the packaging for the entire trilogy of EEs back when the FOTR DVD was announced. ROTK was blue.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

I'll take that bet, prepare to send me $10.

It will be blue.

While the new poster doesn't have the 'dominant' color as blue, the gold/brown will complement the dark blue on the amaray case nicely. Also, the main color of the TTT poster was yellow/gold not maroon. They photoshopped in more reds so it would blend better on the final TTT DVD cover.

The advertising/marketing 'color scheme' is established long before the DVD is released. You can see them on the toy packages, trading cards etc. For FOTR it was GREEN, for TTT it was RED.

Guess what color is on all of the ROTK stuff right now? BLUE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks