What's new

LOTR: FotR Preordering @ Best Buy.com (1 Viewer)

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Well I just ordered it online, the price was listed as 19.99 but after I submitted the order I noticed it changed to 15.99, thanks to the fact they have free shipping right now, and the $10 coupon usable toward another purchase in Aug. It's quite a good deal.
Who knows when I'll get the disc. It's listed as in-stock but I doubt BB will ship it out until the end of this week.
So anyone one wanting to take a guess as to how much it will be out at BB for on the 6th.. I'd say $15.99 :)
Brian

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I was also happy to see that my bestbuy.com preorder is now listed at $15.99 with free shipping. Total, with tax, is $17.29. Not too shabby for a 2-disc set that's purportedly one of the best of the year. And for me, the most anticipated, behind the 4/5 disc extended.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
How odd.
I ordered one not 40 minutes ago, and the price was/still is listed at $19.99.
Including the Digital Coupon, it's still a great deal - but I'd love to save that extra four bucks! :confused:

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I wouldn't worry Scott. Pre-order pricing at bestbuy.com is not an exact science. I pre-ordered about 2 weeks ago and only until today did I see my online invoice drop to $15.99.

Check your invoice occasionally this week and I'm sure you'll see the price drop. Plus, don't forget the $10 digital coupon sent to your email address on the 8th. And just as good, I've heard that all copies of the 2-disc set include two coupons...one for $5 off the 4 disc set and $10 off the 5 disc set.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Peter. I'll definitely keep an eye on this order.
What a nice breakdown:
$15.99
-$10.00 value of the Digital Coupon
-------
$5.99
-$5.00 coupon on the 4-disc - for those (like myself) who want both
-------
0.99 for this 2-disc set! :):)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Just out of curiousity, Scott - what are your reasons for opting for the 4-disc version instead of the 5-disc version?

And to emphasize bestbuy.com's odd online pricing stategy. I've been ordering off of bestbuy.com pretty frequently for the last 3 years. On the Friday after the Tuesday new release day, I've seen titles reduced even further (sometimes by 2 - 4 dollars)...this reduction is only applicable to the online site. So, if you don't absolutely need a new title by Tuesday, hold off until Friday and see whether the price has decreased. I've seen this happen to several titles.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
You know, Pete... That's a good question! :)
I'm not sure which one I'll be getting! I haven't checked the different prices/specs yet, but all I know is this:
I want that long-ass director's version! :):):)

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I'm getting the 5 disc set because I want the bookends! Too bad I already have the National Geographic disc, so I'll have to give it away (got it long before I knew it would be part of the 5-disc set)
So that means I'll actually be paid for getting this disc :) Now what to use that $10... I'm sure there will be a few must have movies in Aug :)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Too bad I already have the National Geographic disc, so I'll have to give it away (got it long before I knew it would be part of the 5-disc set)
Brian, I've heard that the NG disc included in the 5-disc edition is different/revised from the one that's been circulated earlier.

You're getting the 5-disc? Me too. Will you be ordering it from bestbuy.com or any other online retailer? I'm torn - my concern is that given this is a voluminous set and a collectible one to boot, it may get damaged during shipping. So, I'm not sure whether to just buy it at a brick-n-mortar to ensure that I can select a set in the best possible condition.

Does this concern you? If I wasn't such a LOTR freak, this kind of concern would've never crossed my mind.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Peter,
My plan as of now is to just go pick it up at Best Buy the day it comes out, I'm sure they'll have a great deal on it (I hope so)
The main reason I want it is because those Book Ends are just plain COOL! And I'm a LOTR freak :) They'd be great to hold up my slew of LOTR books. I've got the Fancy Red LOTR hardcover and Green Hobbit book, not to mention most of the lost tales type books. Tolkien rules!
Brian

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Is the price on bestbuy.com really going to show up at $15.99? I'm at their website, and it shows $19.99 for FOTR WS 2-disc edition, right before I okay the credit card info....

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, $15.99 is correct. Trust me!
Peter is right, the NG disc in the 5-disc set will be "extended" compared to the version already out. No details as to "how" it will be extended, it just is. :)
We too are planning on both the 2- and 5- disc sets.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I Just checked my preorder and yes the price dropped to $15.99 so after the $10 dig coupon I applied and with no shipping I'm getting LOTR's for $6.99 Shipped. Boy you cannot beat that. Then I'll apply the $10 coupon from that onto The 4 disk version. Some excellent deals here.;

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hi Pat, yes it was my Black Hawk Down coupon. Best Buy's Digital coupon deals are the best going right now. Especially when they factor in Free Shipping. You always get the in store price, LOTR was 22.99 when I preordered and they made several price adjustments until this week's sale price. I've ordered the Monster Inc deal with a $5 coupon. Figure this be around the $16.99 price point as well.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I hate to say it, but my interest in FOTR DVD is more for demo purposes than the actual film itself (I made it through my 1st theatrical viewing, and walked out after the first half of the 2nd viewing - just couldn't get into it). But I just placed my order for the 2 disc version anyway. :) (Though it showed up as $21.39 including tax and the $19.99 price).

DennisHP

Second Unit
Blasphemy!

I placed an order yesterday and it came up $19.99 too. If it doesn't drop to $15.99 I may cancel.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I Really enjoyed FOTR. Mainly because they really managed to turn these fantasy characters into Flesh&Blood. It was larger than life but still grounded to it.

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
I've been thinking of jumping on this deal myself.
My problem is having to wait past the release date.

For you guys who have pre-ordered in this manner from bestbuy.com in the past, do they ship before the Tuesday release day?
In other words when could one expect to receive their order?

The other thing I'm wondering is if you will be able to use the rebate on the extended editions since it seems you are purchasing before the August 6th date listed on the rebate.
Or perhaps Best Buy list the purchase as August 6th?

Thanks

Todd

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Worst-case scenario (not at all a worst case, just more patience required) - your invoice won't reflect the the $15.99 final price until sometime after midnight Sunday. At that time, bestbuy.com 'officially' changes their online pricing to reflect the pricing for the upcoming week.

I'd say for all those who ordered and don't see the promotional pricing at this time...don't even bother checking until once you wake up Sunday morning. But you will eventually see your invoice change.

Todd, as far as the validity of the coupon if bestbuy.com ships your order prior to the 6th...I don't think this will be a problem, since all of my preorders are not processed and shipped until on or after the 6th. So the date on your invoice will make you eligible to use your coupon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks