What's new

LOTR EE vs. Ultimate Gift Set (1 Viewer)

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
Big LOTR fan here. For my own personal situation:

1. I have no place to put the bookends
2. I have little desire to own decipher trading cards or a mini-mag.
3. I was able to watch the "old" Nat'l Geographic VHS for free from my local library, and decided I didn't need to own it.

So I was perfectly happy to save $25 and get the 4-disc version (which better come in the mail today, it's killing me reading the glowing reviews from everyone else).

I think the bottom line, as others have stated, is that the "right" set for any LOTR fan, of any magnitude, is simply a matter of personal preferences and budget, and your choice is in no way a reflection of your enthusiasm (or lack thereof) for LOTR.

David

Denny_S

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, don't forget that this is just the FIRST movie in the Trilogy. I suspect that by the time all three movies are released on DVD (approx. 12 discs), we may see yet another release of those bookends, or better yet, a whole NEW gigantic boxed set to offer all 12 (or maybe even 15) discs packaged together!

For now for me, I am quite content to settle with the 4 disc version and use the extra money towards other movies.

BTW, I bought the Alliance Atlantis version and I didn't get the Two Towers movie coupon. Is it supposed to come in this version as well, or is it only in the U.S. release?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, i don't recall seeing a movie ticket on my Canuckian Gift Set version either. If it is there, where is it hidden?

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
extraneous merchandise like statues are necessarily of value to someone.
It's all just a matter of opinion. I don't feel Argonath statues from Sideshow Weta are "extraneous merchandise". Considering that I got the set for $45. I felt all the extras were WELL worth $20.

-C

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
Of course with my luck, I can't use the coupon for LOTR: TTT at my local theater (Crown Theaters). I'll try to pass it by, and maybe catch someone off guard

Dean

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
If I really need the bookends and NG disc I'll buy them off ebay for a few bucks. These things are definitelly not worth $25 extra to me.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Hmm, i don't recall seeing a movie ticket on my Canuckian Gift Set version either. If it is there, where is it hidden?
I also bought the Alliance/Atlantis Gift Set and I did not get the Movie Cash Coupon either. With so many different FOTR threads I was not sure if any other Canadians were missing this also. That sucks. I convinced myself that between the Rebate plus the Movie Cash, the new EE Gift Set really was not that expensive. Oh well, my wife and I am looking forward to watching the EE on Friday night over a bottle of red wine.

Chris

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I appreciate all of you people who felt the Gift Set wasn't worth it. I had to wait until today to buy the DVDs that came out yesterday and I grabbed the last set that Best Buy had in stock. If more of you had wanted it, I would have been S.O.L. So I thank all of you who didn't want the Gift Set. :D
Oh, and those book ends are awesome. That alone is worth the extra price of the set.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
On my Two Towers movie ticket, it says "valid in the US only" So I guess you folks in Canada are out of luck.
:frowning:

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
I build and paint figure kits, miniatures and busts so I naturally wanted the bookends. I was really expecting them to be a nice cast, but have a crappy finish that I would need to strip and repaint. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that they were beautiful castings with a very nice finish. I'll be leaving them as they are and looking forward to whatever they decide to package with the TT gift set.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Got mine from Best Buy. The BIG box. But I didn't see the movie tickets. Where are they? BTW, I love the statues and I can't wait til I have all 3 volumes between them. I just wish the cases had a real leather like book covering to them.

Ric

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I say Gift Set. Pay the bills, buy groceries, put gas in the car. You should have an easy cheasy sixty bucks left. :D

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I made the mistake of not purchasing the E.T. Ultimate set. Not this time. Since I buy from an import shop, my cost was $78. I personally like the bookends. They are well made and solid. They stand tall? on top of my DVD player showcasing the LOTR 2, 4 disc set, and Nat Geo disc:) My wife balked at first for paying so much (I lied that it was only $40), but now thinks it's cute:)

John_W_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
I went for the gift set as well. Unlike the Spiderman gift set, I didn't see very many of the LOTR gift sets at my local Best Buy. Only 5 of 'em on the display table--maybe a marketing tool--they really have pallets of them out back. :D
We'll see.........

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Hey, really, where IS the ticket thing in the box, and what does it look like? I don't recall seeing it.
Oh, and I got the "Collector's DVD Gift Set" because I always like to have the best and biggest of everything. :D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Picked mine up today and alas, no coupon (Canada). I had the FOTR:UGS in my hand too. The box look not as good as the pictures I saw for the last few months an I would say it would be good prices $10 more than the EE but not so much more. It was cdn$75 compared to the cdn$37 I payed for the EE set.

John Bryant

Second Unit
I must have switched between the box set and 4-disc set yesterday at Best Buy about 15 times. People were starting to look at me funny. The 4-disc was good enough for me, no doubt. But the box was calling my name. It was just...the epitomy of geekdom. Star Wars Ep II, calendar, LotR box. Yeah, there were tons of hot girls working there, but I didn't have to worry about getting any. Well, tonight, after more deliberation, I finally popped open the box! I have never seen such care taken to ensure everything was perfect when you received it. The bookends are fastened in no less than 4 locations! Those puppies aren't going anywhere. The movie itself is snug. The National Geographic disc was well placed. It's just the ultimate dvd package. I was shocked when I actually held the statues for the first time. They are heavy, and unbelievably detailed. For $37, I think this might be my best decision ever.

Brenton

Screenwriter
No, The Two Towers bookend will hold the TTT:EE DVD.

I dont know what will hold ROTK:EE DVD.
Yeah, I suppose all the people who bought the 5-disc because they think the Argonaths will make great bookends for their LOTR DVDs will be disappointed when they realize that the Orthanc and Barad-dûr bookends next year will be so much cooler!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.