What's new

LOTR DVD Director's Cut confirmed by Jackson! (1 Viewer)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
As I stated in the the other thread about this in Movies, once you get FOTR to 4-5 hour lengths it then get's split into two parts. This is fine because the LOTR is in fact in six books, two to each part, ergo a six movie version would be way cool!:emoji_thumbsup:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
David is correct, nothing of Bombadil was ever shot. It was considered a "clean lift" by Jackson.
Of course, with the success of LoTR, nothing says they couldn't allow him to reconvene the cast and shoot that scene... ;)
Ooh how the rumors fly when they get started!!! :D

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
The thought of it excites me so, but I'll believe it when I see it officialy sourced from one of the film's (and/or DVD's) production team.
You can listen to the score CD and get a basic sense of where a number of moments were cut down in the theatrical cut. I'm a little hard pressed to believe it'd be something close (or a little more than) four hours in length for the DVD but I don't doubt that Peter Jackson has something special planned for a DVD.
With mixed messages, Jackson saying no extended cut, then Barry Osborne saying the exact opposite only a few weeks later, I just can't let myself go nuts just yet. :)
Dan (UK)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I just hope any extended cut won't be gratuitous... ie. Adding a halfhour made up entirely of the axed Lurtz subplot. This was an invention of Jackson was thankfully absent from the theatrical cut. If they went back and filmed the Tom Bombadil sequence that'd be great and of the stuff filmed but not in the original cut the biggest thing I care about is the delivery of gifts as they leave Lothlorien and the alternate Bree sequence (more accurate to the book, with Frodo dancing on the table.)

Brandt

Stunt Coordinator
For those interested, there is a site that has posted a fairly detailed analysis of scenes that were filmed but cut, but that may make their way back into a DVD release. Take a peek:
http://www.dailydigest.net/fotrdeletedscenes.html
Also on the site are pictures from TTT (mainly Helm's Deep), so watch out for spoilers if you are worried about that kind of thing.:)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
nonono2.gif

I'll believe it when I see it!

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I'll have to agree with the others on this one and believe it when I see it. Also am I the only one that didn't care for the soundtrack? I felt that it just didn't pull me into the movie. The only track that I felt really fit the film is Hobbittown. I don't want this comment to start a flame fight. I was just curious if anyone else felt that way.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I have to disagree with you Joshua. I think the soundtrack was fantastic and it was as important to the movie as the imagery on screen. It totally pulled me in. To each thier own though.
The Shire track (#2 on the soundtrack) you mentioned also happens to be my favorite:).

Brandt

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be much more excited about the whole thing when there is some official word on the DVD release. However, having learned of some of the scenes that were filmed but not included in the film, I am becoming more and more convinced that PJ has been looking forward to an extended DVD cut from the outset. I know he didn't think that he would be able to shoehorn all that he filmed into a theatrical cut, so I'm betting that he is planning on adding a significant amount of footage to the DVD release.

BTW, I thought the soundtrack was great.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
More about the absence of Bombadil from the film! TheOneRing.net has an article up that quotes PJ himself in an issue of Cinefantastique magazine. It's called "PJ Talks Bombadil", simply enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks