What's new

LOTR DVD Director's Cut confirmed by Jackson! (1 Viewer)

Eric Bass

Second Unit
Oh that's gonna be sweeeeet. It's going to be a long long wait. Oh well, at least it breaks up the waiting for Two Towers.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Seems like that uber-deluxe 3 disc boxed edition looks ever more likely. (although methinks that New Line would be fools to ignore such a fabulous moneyspinner.)
Deliver the goods on the small screen, Mr. Jackson. You certainly succeeded on my local big screen! Although Braindead : Totally Sick Edition would be nice too. :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm a Tolkien geek. I can't get enough. Man, if he put a 5 hour cut of this movie I'd still be up for it! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Oh my god.

I can't believe how fast a rumor can expload like that.

Jackson did not mention the director's cut, rather Barry Osborne did, and he DIDN'T say it would be four hours long!

How could it be four hours long when the final rough cut of the film was only 3 1/2? How could it be four hours long when Jackson himself confirmed that there were only 30 to 40 minutes of footage cut?

It boggles the mind how much fanboys can screw up news on the 'net.

Showbiz Today reports that while New Line has NOT set an official release date
I think they should tell that to Rolf Mittweg, president for worldwide distribution and marketing at New Line, who has stated that the movie will hit VHS and DVD in August.

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
I think the turnaround here has to be the incredible success of the film. The movie has already made something over $500 million (worldwide), and I don't think anyone connected with the film expected this kind of success.

Director's cuts take time and money; now that New Line is rolling in it, I'm sure they're much more agreeable to financing such a project. Whether Jackson actually has the time to craft a new cut for Fellowship before the release of the still-unfinished Two Towers remains to be seen. I've heard that the DVD of Fellowship is set for release right before Two Towers hits in December, so Jackson may be hard-pressed to pull off a new cut.

We may see a dual release here: the theatrical bare-bones DVD in November/December, followed by a deluxe director's edition in early 2003.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I just went to CNN and could find no article like that mentioned in the Dark Horizons "scoop". If someone has a direct link, bring it on. Otherwise, this is just another false rumor.

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
Rollercoaster ride :frowning:
First got my feelings way up there with the first post and then it goes rapidly down when it becomes obvious that this is just a roumor.
Would have been too good to be true, though ;)

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
I just went to CNN and could find no article like that mentioned in the Dark Horizons "scoop". If someone has a direct link, bring it on. Otherwise, this is just another false rumor.
It wasn't on the site, but rather a news report.

What it said was Barry Osborne (NOT Peter Jackson) stated that an extended version of the film would be out by the end of the year, but he DIDN'T state a running time of 4 hours.

Little Billy (who probably doesn't know what Peter Jackson looks like) sees the report and fires up his email account and tells Dark Horizons what was said in the report, although editing it to what he wants the DVD to be.

Chris Harvey

Second Unit
There have been various reports on fansites that PJ's first "dream cut" ran 4:45. TORN has an interview with the actor who played Lurtz, who said that the first cut ran 5 hours long and that most of his lines got cut for the theatrical release.

Imladris.net also had a report by a stuntman describing many scenes that were apparently filmed but didn't show up in the theatrical release.

Decipher has put out a card game based on the movie, and their site has pictures of all the cards available in the deck. There are many that show scenes that didn't end up in the film.

While this DVD DC is still a total rumor, it does seem to have some basis in fact.

Blu

Screenwriter
Regardless of what happens I think they will make this DVD a real package to own! IF they merely put the theatrical cut on DVD with some extras I'll buy it the day it is out!

If they make a huge massive 12 hour cut of all three films I'll buy that too! However they do it, I'm there!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
There have been various reports on fansites that PJ's first "dream cut" ran 4:45. TORN has an interview with the actor who played Lurtz, who said that the first cut ran 5 hours long and that most of his lines got cut for the theatrical release.
Even as a fan I recognize that people won't watch a movie between 4-5 hours long. So I wouldn't mind if the initial DVD release is the 3 1/2 hour cut that PJ showed New Line.
But i would wish that later on, when all three films are finished, they make a "Lord Of The Rings Complete Movie (aka, for those nuts who read the book every 4 years or so)" cut that goes as long as he wants it to. 15 hours? Bah, that's nothing. Bring it on! :D

Eric Bass

Second Unit
Seamless branching baby, give me the 5 hour version and I'll sit through it gladly. Then you can still have your 3 hour version for people who don't want to sit through it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks