What's new

Lost season 3 Blu Ray questions (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I want to pick this up but I noticed that the sdvd is 7 disks while Blu is 6. Is there anything missing (Planet Earth anyone?) ?

Also is the picture and sound quailty worth the price vs the Sdvd? (No I dont own S3 yet; only 1 and 2)

Thanks

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
from Blu-ray Review: Lost: The Complete Third Season | High-Def Digest

All of the bonus features from the DVD edition have been carried over to the Blu-ray, with most encoded in High Definition video.

also.....

Exclusive to the Blu-ray are the following:

* Blu-ray Introduction (HD, 1 min.) – At the start of Disc 1, producers Cuse and Lindelof briefly plug the benefits of buying 'Lost' on Blu-ray.
* SeasonPlay – As explained by the discs' Episode Selection menus: "SeasonPlay tracks where you are as you watch this series, so that you never lose your place in the middle of the season. To view Lost with SeasonPlay, insert a disc and select SeasonPlay from the main menu. SeasonPlay will track which episodes you've viewed. If you watch out of order, SeasonPlay will remind you of where you left off, or offer you the chance to start saving from a new point in the season." It doesn't sound terribly exciting or useful to me, but your mileage may vary.
* Access Granted – The primary exclusive bonus feature is this interactive Q&A section layed out like a Dharma monitoring station control panel. By choosing from a list of topics, producers Lindelof and Cuse discuss many points of fan speculation such as what caused the crash of Flight 815, whether certain characters are really dead, Walt's psychic powers, the meaning of the Dharma instructional films, and the blast door map. In their introduction to the section, the producers promise "definitive answers" to these mysteries. While that may be true for a few of them, many others receive only coy responses or outright misdirection. After watching each brief interview, additional video clips are found by selecting from the six monitors to the sides of the screens. The navigation of the controls is rather confusing and annoying until you get the hang of it. Contained here are clip montages from the season, the creepy brainwashing film from Room 23, and talking-head speculation from fans, critics, and even Jimmy Kimmel. All in all, there's a fair bit of good material in the "Access Granted" section, but also a lot of useless joking around and filler content. The number of truly "definitive answers" is small, and most of them could either be gleaned from watching the series or have already been hashed over extensively by fans.
* Blu-Prints: The Sets of Season 3 (HD, 17 min.) – This fairly engaging featurette provides a tour of the sets for Sawyer and Kate's cages, Ben's bungalow, the operating room, the Looking Glass station, and the "New Otherton" village. Ben's home is the most interesting section, with actor Michael Emerson showcasing many of the paintings, set decorations, and props that fans obsessed over in freeze-frame screen captures during the season.
* The Orchid Instructional Film (HD, 2 min.) – This intriguing Dharma Initiative film strip was originally distributed as an online promo and has not (yet) been shown in the series itself. The piece is technically not listed among the DVD edition's contents, but I'm sure in most likelihood appears as an easter egg somewhere in that set. On the Blu-ray, it's offered out in the open, so I'm counting it as an HD exclusive for now.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

No, there is nothing missing, and there are couple of exclusive features on the Blu-ray that are not on the standard. You can check my reviews for both sets in the archives section.

Sound and picture are astounding, even superior to the 720p broadcasts on ABC.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
The Blu-ray set has 5 episodes per disc, while the SD-DVD has 4 episodes per disc, hence the reason for more discs on SD. The video and audio quality on the Blu-ray, IMO, rivals anything on the market. It's outstanding.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Thanks for ther replies. All my quuestions are answered

I guess Im going Blu with Lost. :)

I watch my shows on DVD vs broadcast (I hate commericals, hiatuses etc.) I hadnt got around to Lost s3 yet and Im Blu already so I was just wondering the diff. Thanks again.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
You can check my reviews for both sets in the archives section. Sound and picture are astounding said:
Sorry Matt,
Didnt check archives. My bad. Thanks again for the reply

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Not to hijack the thread but has anyone heard when season 1 and 2 will come out? I own the first season in sd but held off on season 2 for the blu-ray version. I'd love to see the series from the beginning again and what better way to see it than in hd.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I think all of us LOST fans are hoping to see the first two seasons in Blu-ray since Season 3 was so stunning. So far, I've read no announcements at all about that happening, however.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
100% agreement here, Kurt.
Best high definition release in either format, IMO.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Btw. Anyone else noticed, that at least one episode in "D2" (I believe) has DD as "448 kbps", when in the rest it´s "640 Kbps".

S3 is "in progress" for me, and I didn´t take any notes etc, but if I recall, it was on "Disc 2".

No biggie, but just wondering..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks