What's new

LOST season 2 discussion thread...... (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

No, in his made-up story Plato says that he got the account from Solon, who got it from the Egyptians. (He also claims that Solon was one of his ancestors, which may or may not be true.) No other source or tradition mentions any such thing about Solon, nor are there any Egyptian myths, legends or texts that contain anything resembling the Atlantis story that Plato tells.

The Solon thing is basically a framing story that Plato uses to make what follows seem more plausible. Edgar Rice Burroughs did much the same in his introductions to A Princess of Mars and Tarzan of the Apes where he creates an elaborate provenance for the "true" story that he's about to pass on to the reader. But both Tarzan and John Carter of Mars are still recognized as fictional characters, not "legends" who may be based in fact.

That is very different from a figure like Arthur who precisely is the subject of typical legends - contradictory tales of uncertain chronology that arise in different times and places and gradually coallesced, contradictions and all, around a single person. (The Robin Hood legends likewise probably began being told about a number of different local heroes, all of whom were subsumed under one name over time.)

The essence of genuine legends is that the don't appear all at once at a particular place. It is hard to trace their origins precisely because they are incohate folk tales being passed by word of mouth. The legends that underlay The Illiad and The Odyssey were ancient and existed in many various forms before Homer wrote them down. But of Atlantis there is no mention, no alternate source, no trace before Plato put pen to paper. Because Atlantis is a literary invention, like Sherlock Holmes, not a genuine legend or bit of folklore given concrete form like the Arthur of Cretien de Troyes or Mallory.

Regards,

Joe

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Joe, Paul, I agree with most of your points, but I think you may have missed mine: Atlantis is irremediably associated with the Atlantic ocean and the West of the known world at the time. Utter fabrication or not, it would make no more sense to have it located in the Pacific, than to have El Dorado be found in the Gobi desert (especially since again, the Pacific has it's own "lost continent" I mentioned earlier, Mu). For viewers to buy into this version, there needs to be a minimum connection with the existing legend. The Egyptians and Greeks wouldn't have heard of a lost continent from the other side of the planet when they were utterly oblivious to the American continent.

--
H

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i was watching come Discovery program where some guy was trying to make his point that Ireland was the lost island city of Atlantis :P

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Oh, you mean like in the last episode of The Prisoner? : )

I personally liked the finale of The Prisoner, but a lot of people didn't. Can you imagine the reaction if Lost ended on a similar note?

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Didn't see that, so not sure one way or another. :)

As long as they don't pull back to reveal an island shaped like a big smiley face flipping the bird, I don't think I would be disappointed. :D

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Thanks, Alex.

Here you go. Starting at top left hand corner...
1st row..Ian Somerholder, Maggie Grace, Naveen Andrews, Emile DeRavin
2nd row..Terry O'Quinn, Jorge Garcia, Yunjin Kim, Daniel Dae Kim
3rd row..Dominic Monaghan, Matthew Fox, Malcolm David Kelley, Harold Perrineau
4th row..Sam Anderson(added after pic), L.Scott Caldwell, William Mapother, Evangeline Lilly, Josh Holloway
5th row..Mira Furlan, Michael Emerson(added after pic), Michelle Rodriguez,(blank), Cynthia Watros.

I know I am going to have to redo the matting eventually. I have 2 spots open. And at least 3 people I mentioned above. Plus whomever new regular characters they may add in the future. I was going to put Artz in..but, that was blown to pieces. :)

Joel C

Screenwriter
Chris -

Yes, if you don't mind. I have the one from March 23rd or thereabouts on. I don't know how many came before.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Didn't see Stuff but I did see some other magazine that had a gorgeous portrait shot of Evangeline Lily. I went home and stuck another pin in my Dominic Monaghan voodoo doll. ;)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks