What's new

Lost interest. (1 Viewer)

Bryan_K

Stunt Coordinator
Don't sell your stuff. What will you do if you want to watch the occasional DVD? You'll ALWAYS want to do that.
I sold my nin 64 & games & accessories for little $$$ cause i thought i was to old/not interested for games. I soon missed "gameing" & bought a dreamcast. Loosing $$$ in the process.

Although i have a hundred or so dvd's I never considered this interest as a (di-hard)hobby. An upgrade from a 19 inch tv & vcr to a 32 inch tv, dvd player & a (adequate) HTB. I just couldn't justify the cost to upgrade to a HDTV. When i do, i'll buy a new HTB. But that will be another 5 years. :frowning:

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
My interest has slowly waned for a couple of years now. Other things have simply taken over in the list of priorities. Work. Relationships. The death of my best friend.

I live on my own now but the past fifteen months have been spent mainly renovating my new flat (I stopped at parents during that time as it's fairly close by). That's taken all my energy over the past year, but I think I needed to retreat from the world for a bit after losing Tish in October 2002.

My new pad is lovely but I live above somebody else so the subwoofer had be sold off along with some of the other gear. I just have the DVD player, amp, TV and speakers now but I can't crank it. I'm still happy. Still have 300+ DVDs though I don't buy like I used to. Resale values on eBay have plummetted too much. The number of really good films coming out seems to have died off and I just don't have the time now to watch more than a couple of films a week.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Philip: I was just thinking the same thing and was about to post a similar thread. I lost interest two years ago after I bought my SVS sub. However, I have a lot invested in HTF, and I will be back to rekindle my hobby some day...

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
ditto to everyone here.
I bought a new TV a month ago, and a new DVD player because the old one wasn't progressive scan, aside from that, there have been no upgrades in over 2 years.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Parker, the room is nice and the beautiful house that I so recently thought was a wonderful idea, I now despise completely and wish I had never had it built. I will keep a work-a-day Dolby Digital system in place in the basement for the time being, but it'll be good ol' TV speakers elsewhere.

I have some really rare LaserDisc software to sell, and the CLD-99 and Outlaw 950 and some other components as well. Might as well get something out of this.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I'd say my interest has hit a plateau. Having so many activities Kung Fu, guitars, travel, custom vehicles etc. There just isn't the time. I do love the fact that when I do want a quiet night at the movies at home, it is there if I want it. I just stopped trying to keep up with the Jones or "Ron-P's" :) when it came to hardware. It is easy to get caught in that trap. Now i enjoy what I call responsible HT.

I think your being a bit hard on yourself Phil. Taper down your system, to something you're more comfortable with. I don't know your situation but HT night with family is always a positive. Maybe transform it from obssession to something more practical.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Philip - what happened with your house (if I may ask)? :frowning: It sounded like you had a great plan and reputable builder. Any recommmendations for future home-builders?

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
My interest has gone down over the last few years also. I haven't purchased a new piece of HT equipment in the last two years although I'm looking at getting a Denon 2200. I still love to watch movies but with my son being born last year, I can't listen at high volume levels and it's harder to find the time to watch.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Look around at what's happening in the world. Make sure you can get to work without a car if need be. If you buy in Outer Suburbs you can get a goregeous house, but you're putting your work and your life in the hands of a few OPEC countries. If it is a choice between a 50 year old shack near the train or a brand new goregeous house in the outer suburbs, keep in mind there is a reason that they are both the same price. The house itself is wonderful, it's the location that's the problem.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Hi Philip,

I'm a northern va native myself. May I ask where you bought your house at? It seems the trend is either way out in Loudoun country or head south towards Fredricksburg.

Jeff

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I've only lost interest in the constant upgrading involved in the hobby. I've got a nice system now and all I really NEED to upgrade is my display. Other than that, my equipment is fine and will be for years.

Good luck, Philip. Don't go too far away.

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
Hi,

I have lost interest in upgrades as well, but not in HT as such. I'm still (and probably always will) be able to enjoy a good film in the comfort of my own HT and I have still to upgrade to Dolby Digital(!), but my old Denon Pro Logic receiver does a good enough job together with my B&W speakers, and I'm happy with that! On top of that, I enjoy the frequent visits to this forum which has provided so much knowledge, entertainment and laughs over the years, and continue to do so.

I'm right now looking into other areas where upgrades might provide me with greater enjoyment. I think I might get into digital SLR photography, and I have had an eye on the Nikon D70 for quite some time now, and I think I might take the plonge soon. Getting to shoot some fantastic natural scenery seems fascinating. It might also cause me to pay more attention to the subtle and beautiful details in nature that I didn't notice before. I think it's a nice thought anyways :)
Also, I want to play a more active role. For a long time I have passively admired other people's works of art (films and movies), now I want to create some photographic art on my own. Being a little creative...

Hobbies change, but that's not necessarily a sad thing. There are so many interesting things out there to spend time on.

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
I've never been much of an upgrade freak simply because my living conditions (apartments, etc) never allowed me to really show off what a great system could do (I've never been able to watch a movie at reference level).

I used to, however, be a adamant Tuesday DVD buyer. I'd easily blow a couple of hundred a week on the new releases and pick up some older titles that I didn't have yet.

Over the past year or so, I've drastically slowed down. I think the trigger was when I was thinking about buying a new car and a house but realized I didn't have the free cash flow to get what I wanted. I glanced at my DVD rack and realized the thousands of dollars that went into the collection, most of which I've never opened or watched once with no intentions of ever watching again.

Needless to say, I'm a big rental fan now (OAR only). 10 bucks a week to watch the two new releases I'm interested in seems a lot more reasonable than plopping down 15-20 bucks for "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" or "AI" (both of which I watched on HBO while the DVDs stayed in their wrappers).

Still - I like to visit this site to stay informed (the same reason I like to visit new car sites, etc.)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

Join Netflix! $22 a month for 3 DVDs out at a time, with as many "swaps" as you like.

Hate to sound like a netflix groupie, but if you're regularly paying $10 a week already, it's something you should consider trying.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
And so is HBO!! :)
I spend way too much on software though I've been cutting back lately since I've got over 100 DVDs and laserdiscs that I haven't even watched once yet. I've never been one to constantly upgrade my equipment though. I'll usually pick something I know I'll be happy with for a long time. I bought one of the first affordable Sony DTS receivers and it's still good enough for me, though I'll eventually have to replace it to hook up an SACD player when I finally get one of those. My TV is a 40-inch Mitsubishi picture tube which is no longer being made; it's always looked great and while I'd like to get a 16x9 TV they haven't made one yet that I'd be satisfied with, so it's staying until the right thing comes out.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Sorry to hear it Phillip H. I hope things smooth out.
I’ve stalled on my ‘upgraditis’ as I’m extremely sated running my Outlaw gear and current display.
Although not calibrating and tweaking and tidying tidbits - like I should - for that extra 10 percent. It’s a joy when I run the HT at night or weekends when works allows, - and a new DVD is released.

Last one which impressed (which I missed attending at the big screen, so it was all new to me) was “Master and Commander”. Wonderful movie and incredible soundtrack to give the HT a workout. (cannons and violins = cool)

Whenever we have, here at our home, - just one other ‘project’ going, there is no time for research and tweaking on anything else for us ..it’s either spare time spent on AV only. …or something else. And right now I have lots of something else’s going on!!! (including the fact something else's are where you shuttle your funds at any given time) I rotate through diffrent things. Like Triage'ing for dollars!
I’m spending more time (since I’m stuck with paperwork in front of my pC anyway) in HTF for relaxation, (kind of like a news board ..for me).

I want to upgrade my OTA setup, and buy a new sub. But have told myself, “Self,…you are not allowed to buy a new subw until you learn to tweak the old one” (I feel I don’t deserve it, if I don’t understand its integration better than my grasp currently) . It’s a carrot I hold out to myself. Put some thought and time into it…get a reward. :)

Good Luck, hope to see you around the forums some, in the years to come. Take care!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member

I've just recently got my wife sold on staying in downtown Indy rather than move out toward her suburb job, partly for similar reasons. In town you can still maintain a walkable life, including groceries, etc.

And even though she has to drive, its the opposite direction of rush hour, another HUGE plus as you alude to.

I've had some recent upgrades to my system, but hit a point of stabilization. In some ways I'm semi-bored with the hobby aspect, but I view films in the same way that I view music and books. They are life-altering art that I enjoy revisiting. Keeping that in mind maintains my interest at a warm, not burning hot, level. I think that's a big key to it.

It's funny, because with DVDs and the wife (g/f at the time) I had gotten away from just sitting at listening to an album away from the car. In the last few months I have made an effort to spend more time doing that at home and I feel wonderful about it. Really sparked my emotions again.

PS - if that LD player does go into circulation, I'd definitely be interested. My players are both iffy at this point and I still have some software I'd like to enjoy, but that's another forum. :)

Jesse - picking up the combo SACD/DVD-A player REALLY got my home music listening going. There are some very nice multi-channel albums out there in both formats.

And I agree on HBO as well. If not for a few shows it would already be dumped (its barely hanging in their now that SitCity is done), there is a house rule that NO film we own on DVD will be viewed on cable. Just put in the disc, even if it is from the same point, if you want to watch it so bad. Even if its OAR it's still better coming from an anamorphic source, and besides, there's a reason I bought the things in the first place.

TV viewing habits are just that, a habit. I've found that apart from TIVO'd shows that I enjoy I have almost zero interest in watching regular TV "just to have something on". If I find myself doing that then I either play a game, an album, a film, or go do something with my life.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Wow. I thought I was the only one! I too have gotten to the point where I've lost interest in home theater (but not to the point of selling off my stuff!! *hugs HT gear and preciousssss DVDs tightly*). I guess it all began with the priorities of moving out and getting a new car and beginning my adult life that got me. At 24 years old it just doesn't make sense for me to still be living at home.

So, with as little money as I make I'm working on trying to get a hold on finances so I can finally get a car in July and move out in August. Plus, I just got news that I'll be moving into selling Home Electronics (Yaayy!!), so I'll be making much more money (despite a lower base pay I'll still make more off of additional commissions than I ever will at my current steady-paying job).

Paul Stanley

Stunt Coordinator
I've always gotten a kick out of people in this forum and others over the years referring to their systems as a "hobby."

Hobbies and interests come and go - LIFESTYLES last. I do upgrading in cycles, like most people who make their systems part of their home. I like to watch the news in digital, I like to watch the Sopranos and Deadwood at "reference levels," I listen to vynyl every day on my Project. This is the way I live, and I love it.

Our system is not a hobby. If you consider this a hobby, then you too one day will be talking about how you've found a new love of cycling or Dungeons and Dragons, and miraculously you are just as happy watching Star Wars on TBS on your bedroom 20 inch mono TV - as if your "HT" never existed.

Like young Brian above, he understands. He has other priorities, as most of us do, but clearly this is a lifestyle for him.

Don't let the door hit you on the can on the way out.

For those about to rock, I salute you.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks