What's new

Lost In Space Season II RUMOR (1 Viewer)

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Yes, it seems like these re-masterings, faulty though they may be, are still steps ahead of the way I recall seeing off-air broadcasts of decades ago. Of course, maybe a lot of it has to do with advances in television technology, too. Prints used to seem softer, yet with more saturated colors to me. It wasn't entirely displeasing, though. I was sometimes more annoyed with some of the harsh 'edge enhancement' of the video prints that replaced the old film ones from certain series, back in the 80s.

As for LIS, I hope I don't seem too petulant in complaining a little about this change. It does seem to deflate my enthusiasm a bit. As I mentioned, I really didn't care much for the 2nd-season, but having them all together in one big block made it more acceptable to just bite the bullet and get it, and then look forward to the 3rd-season, which I'm anxious to see. Again, the collector and completist in me. Having them in two separate volumes somewhat affects that, in an odd way. Makes them seem like less of a priority with me. Of course, I'm not as much of an avid fan of the series as some people. I like it; it's breezy and nostalgic. But, it's hardly an imperative purchase.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
For what it's worth, while reading a magazine today I saw an ad for a new SEX AND THE CITY Season Set on DVD -- it said "Volume (whatever) - PART ONE". So this is something which is happening to other shows. I'd never ever heard about this practice until this thread.

Anthony D

Grip
Hi all!

New to the boards - thought I'd share my thoughts about this LIS Season 2 set with the group.

When A&E released Space:1999 (and "The Avengers", "Thunderbirds" and a few others) they did it in box sets of TWO discs! It took 8 box sets [for Space:1999] to make the complete first season and 8 box sets for the second season! They did eventually release a "mega set" for Space:1999 (all episodes in one box with 16 discs) and a few of the other series, too.

As for timing -- they were releasing a few series at once at the time, so one series would get a two disc box set, then the next month another series would get one, then another series, etc. So it took quite awhile to finish off the complete series (before the megaset came out).

As for extras - there weren't that many, though they did put some decent ones on the second year discs.

As for restoration - there was none, basically. Season 1 was released with little clean up and it showed. The colors were so-so for a series that relied heavily on visual imagery for its storytelling. For the second season sets, the episodes WERE cleaned up and they are magnificient! Unfortunately, like LIS season 2, Space:1999 season 2 wasn't its greatest hour (no pun intended! :)) but it was still nice to see these remastered episodes.

A side word about double sided discs - personally I hate them! I like to have a disc with some cover art - the double sided ones look so drab -- and now you have TWO surfaces that can be scratched! It's almost like an old album - you have to flip it and to me that's a weakness. Look at laser discs that needed flipping - what a pain that is!

Don't get me wrong - if double-siding gets a lower priced (not quality) release, then I'm all for it -- but I'd rather single sided discs with nice artwork. It can't cost that much more with the exception of the packaging.

The "pro" for splitting a series into multiple sets is the lower price point allowing more retailers to carry the product. Also, the casual fan can pick and choose which episodes he'd like to own (he may balk at having to shell out $80 for an entire season for the 3 episodes he loves from that season, but may pay $30.00 for the same)

The "con" of course is the waiting game that devoted fans have to endure to get the entire season (and 2 months isn't bad - you'll just about finish the last episode when the 2nd box set is released ;-)) Also, the slightly higher price point that may result (in the case of Space:1999 the megaset was a bit lower priced than the original releases, but do remember that since the megaset was being released about a year later, this was just icing on the cake for A&E - they picked up sales from people who didn't own a DVD player or didn't have the cash at the time, etc. The hardcore fans had already purchased the separate sets.)

Basically, I support Fox with their decision -- yes, it's frustrating not to have one complete box set for the second season, but if splitting is the only feasible way to get this released, I say let's go for it!

I only hope that Fox, regardless of sales, releases the 2nd box set. I understand the economics of it, but do realize that burning bridges with a fan base can be very bad business. Many of us are not only fans of LIS but also other Fox owned programs.

Finally, FYI, Land of the Giants is available on DVD from Columbia House. They have the complete first season (on individual discs for $19.95 each :)) and the first 6 episodes of season two. I purchased the first season, but not the second.

[Way OT: In case Fox is reading this -- re: Mary Tyler Moore -- personally, the only reason I haven't plunked down my money for the first season is that I felt it was the weakest of the lot. As much as I love Mary (and I do! :)), I couldn't take that fake long hair! I'm sure there are some season 1 gems, but for me the series took off in seasons 2-5 or so (the last 2 seasons were so-so, but I'd probably buy them) If there is some commitment by Fox to start the MTM releases again, then I would personally look into grabbing season 1 to have the complete series. I will probably buy season 1 either way, but it's not high on the priority list right now because of its uncertain future. Splitting the seasons into 2 box sets would be fine with me if it gets them out the door....but please don't release "best ofs" only -- yuck!]

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I hope that Peter Staddon is still with us!

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) have always been my favourite Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series and I'd like to know just how much longer are fans (who are substantial in their numbers and fierce in their enthusiasm and devotion) of these two tv franchises still have to wait before they will be released on DVD?

How will the apparently "acceptable" sales results of the LOST IN SPACE - The Complete First Season - DVD Collection affect plans for future releases of VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL?

I'd like to point out that VOYAGE and TIME TUNNEL fans are not necessarily also fans of LOST IN SPACE and the retail sales results could be entirely different for these two tv franchises so it's unfair to gauge any response to the LOST IN SPACE collections with these other Irwin Allen SF tv properties.

Pertaining specifically to VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL I'd also like to emphasize that these two tv properties in particular have a much broader appeal among the SF community at large outside of their own respective fan bases and don't forget just how well VOYAGE did in the online voting survey taken by 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment placing second with a whopping 22% of the votes registered.

I'd also like to ask when 20th Century-Fox Television is going to take the time and make the effort to digitally restore and fully remaster the source elements used to produce copies for the Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series so that absolutely pristine prints can be circulated for the tv syndication and DVD markets respectively?

Thanks for your time and attention!

Jeff T.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
JeffT,

I'm in hearty agreement with your sentiments about VOYAGE & TIME TUNNEL. I do remember Mr. Straddon telling us at the last chat that for some reason it didn't look like Fox would themselves being willing to put out VOYAGE on dvd, but instead the best chance of seeing it would be a "rental" out to another company (maybe like Rhino or Image, to name a couple).

Personally, with the results from that online poll, I thought VOYAGE in particular would have been on Fox's radar.

Mr. Straddon, please go to bat for us on these shows. I don't believe Fox will be disappointed with the sales figures if these shows are released.

Gary "come on Fox, give us these classics on dvd" O.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hi

very interesting to read this thread about LIS.

Although I am not a fan of LIS, I understand your concerns about splitting the season.

I am a big Time Tunnel fan, let's get it out on dvd

:emoji_thumbsup:

JulianK

Supporting Actor
The second season has been announced for release in the UK on July the 5th.

The only extra will be a twenty-minute stills gallery set to interviews.

More details here: Zeta Minor

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

It's good to know that a show produced in the U.S. gets a complete 2nd season set released in England, a couple of months before we get separate sets of season 2 in the U.S.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
This has long been one thing that infuriates me at how a number of US shows not released in this country on DVD have early or extensive releases in other parts of the world.

JulianK

Supporting Actor

For every US series that premieres on DVD outside the US, there are probably a dozen that get released in the US first, or exclusively.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Maybe so, but for a while it seems like those that are of greater interest to me, are the ones on the other end of that equation.

I'm happy that "Columbo" for instance is finally coming out, but it's ridiculous that Japan got all 7 seasons on DVD a long time ago, and I think in the case of LIS it's incredible that the US market doesn't have the option of buying a whole second season set but the rest of the world does.

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
on top of that there are shows that gets released in the u.k. that never get releaed at all here in the u.s.
i had to buy a lot from the u.k.
:frowning:

Mike K

Agent
The UK Extras are exactly what was reported earlier , promo audio interviews of Harris , Williams & Lockhart prior to the second season I do believe... accompanied by a photo montage of Season 2.

I also heard of LIS Season 1 DVD sets from Fox Japan were at Wonderfest this past weekend , there is even one listed on ebay currently. ( 4189881365 ).

What I do not know/understand is: Do all these different releases use the same SOURCE material as TCFHE in LA or are they at the liberty to digitally remaster from the fine grain 35mm Masters if they so choose? Do they have THAT much freedom in these releases?

Can anyone explain the process to me? :frowning:

Thanks! :emoji_thumbsup:

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

If those releases are indeed re-mastered from the original fine grain 35mm masters, then the U.S. version can forget about getting my money. I would gladly pay the highway robbery price of the Japanese DVD set, if I knew for a fact that the source material was the 35mm masters. I wish there was a way to find out.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If Peter is still interested in responding.....

There are some good questions here -- many of which
we are all interested in getting an answer about.

I have also received emails from people who are
a bit apprehensive about asking these questions
openly.

The main concerns seem to be....

1. Do all these different region releases use
the same SOURCE material as TCFHE in LA or are
they at the liberty to digitally remaster from
the fine grain 35mm Masters if they so choose?

2. Do other regions have THAT much freedom in
these releases over the U.S. domestic counterpart?

All of us are considering the best means to buy
this set. Naturally, we want the set that offers
the best picture quality and supplements. We are
also curious as to why other regions seem to offer
more elaborate boxed sets than Region 1.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Are the other regions also getting a split release or are they getting a complete Season 2 box?

Mike K

Agent
Ron ,

I got an answer to Question #1 at least ...

----- Original Message -----
To: "Synthesis"
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 8:49 AM
Subject: LIS DVD's ....

Dear Kevin,
I'm getting old! I cannot recall if I asked you or not , the following question(s) in the previous note I sent you this morning!! %^(

In regards to the Japan Season 1 LIS and UK Season 2 DVD's : Do they(other countries) do their own mastering of the DVD's?

Could they possible digitally remaster the episodes from the 35mm fine grain masters or do they HAVE to use the same 1" tape that Fox in LA uses??? %^)

Mike

Sent : Tuesday, May 18, 2004 12:06 PM
To : "Jupiter-2 Jup2.com"
Subject : Re: LIS DVD's ....

All masters are from the same source(s).

KB

R A T S ! ! ! ! :thumbsdown:

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Wow, first the travesty of not releasing all the MTM's and now this?
Someone mentioned that the studios dont cater to fans anymore and I have to agree.
This is horrible news!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mikel,

Please understand this....

If Fox really didn't care about its fanbase they
wouldn't be releasing the second season of LIS at all.

The mere fact that the studio is considering a
2-part second season release tells me that there
is much concern about this set selling in the first
place.

You have to realize that fans are willing to let
Fox do anything they can in order to get us that
much closer to an anticipated Season Three release.

If TWO doesn't sell, we might as well count out THREE.

You have to think this situation out. Fox isn't
doing this to piss off its fanbase. I can tell you
that straight out because I personally know the
man and integrity behind Fox's Home Entertainment
division -- and in case you have not noticed that
man took the time out to personally respond to fans
in this very thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks