What's new

Lost Halloween Specials (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys: As I was looking at the Halloween DVD's at Wall-Mart, I kept thinking there were some seasonal scarey specials they were missing, but I couldn't remember. I found myself thinking of that Kenner version of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow that played in the early seventies on CBS, I haven't seen than. Are there any other Halloween specials you haven't seen in years? James

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank
James, your post reminded me of a version of Sleepy Hollow that I saw as a young kid. It had to be in the early 1970s, because my childhood TV memories are pretty sharp (I recall seeing Gargoyles and The Norliss Tapes when they originally aired, for example). But for years there's been an image in my brain from a Sleepy Hollow movie that no one has ever been able to confirm existed. I only recall a brief moment from one scene, and it's of someone in a car (possibly a convertible), driving desperately down a deserted road, during daytime, I think. The Horseman is chasing the car, and he's headless, of course...and that's all I've got. For a long time, I thought it was a scene from a soap opera, but I'm hoping this Kenner film you mentioned might be the one. Do you have any more information about it? Thanks! -Frank

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
JamesSmith said:
Dear Guys: As I was looking at the Halloween DVD's at Wall-Mart, I kept thinking there were some seasonal scarey specials they were missing, but I couldn't remember. I found myself thinking of that Kenner version of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow that played in the early seventies on CBS, I haven't seen than. Are there any other Halloween specials you haven't seen in years? James
I think what you are remembering was the Tales of Washington Irving episode from the Famous Classic Tales series that typically aired around various holidays. WHV released some of them on DVD, such as Last of the Mohicans. Others have been released on DVD by other companies, but I am not sure what the rights are to all of them. The Tales of Washington Irving segment paired Sleepy Hollow with Rip Van Winkle and was released on VHS by Turner Entertainment back in the 1990s. It is very hard to find and expensive when found, however. If you have a 16mm projector, someone on ebay has been selling a print. I sent a email to Warner Archive asking them about the Famous Classic tales, but I received no response. Finally, there are no automobiles in this production.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
JamesSmith said:
This is gonna sound weird, but I gotta include, The Paul Lynde Halloween Special, which included the TV network debut of KISS. It is a really weird and clumsy piece of work. Others included were Florence "Mrs. Brady" Henderson, Roz "Pinky Tuscadero" Kelly, Tim Conway, and Donnie and Marie Osmond. A kitschy piece of 70's nostalgia.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Richard V

This is gonna sound weird, but I gotta include, The Paul Lynde Halloween Special, which included the TV network debut of KISS. It is a really weird and clumsy piece of work. Others included were Florence "Mrs. Brady" Henderson, Roz "Pinky Tuscadero" Kelly, Tim Conway, and Donnie and Marie Osmond. A kitschy piece of 70's nostalgia.

THE PAUL LYNDE HALLOWEEN SPECIAL has been available on DVD since 2007. You can order from Amazon now.

Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Pumpkin Who Couldn't Smile. It was released on vhs, but not dvd and the prices for it are soaring. Chuck Jones animated it.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The Pumpkin Who Couldn't Smile used to get perennial airing each October. Been 15 years or so since I last saw it now. Would love a DVD release of it.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Richard V said:
I actually missed it when it aired. Watching it now is like breaking open a 70s kitsch time capsule. I think anyone studying the 70s should be required to watch that thing!! And don't forget Billie Hayes and Margaret Hamilton both recreated their famous witchy characters...

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Sleepy Hollow Fans, Here is where you can find the movie you talked about. I bought mine used on VHS this year and it played fine. The used copies for 14.95 are a good deal. The movie is out on DVD but only from one source. I chose to buy the VHS not dvd after having been burned on Chinese copys of Star Trek. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=the+legend+of+sleepy+hollow+jeff+goldblum+dvd&x=13&y=19 Last year I bought the Hallmark version from Amazon on DVD which is a very good one. I also bought the bought the FOX version which is on VHS but not on DVD. I remember a cartoon version in the early 70s but have not viewed that version since. HBO also airs from time to time a cartoon version which is 30 minutes and is a present day Sleepy Hollow. I really did not care for that one since no one can out do Disney cartoon. The live actions ones are quite good. The one put out maybe less then 10 years ago on ABC i also did not care for. The funny thing is I live less then 30 minutes from Sleepy Hollow IL. I also purchase this year from Amazon Market Place Gargoyles which I liked but anything with Grayson Hall in it I would purchase. http://www.amazon.com/Gargoyles-Cornel-Wilde/dp/B004S8UTII/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318804827&sr=8-3

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks