What's new

Lossless audio over 5.1 analog. (1 Viewer)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Question - What BD Players out of the box will allow uncompressed PCM or lossless audio over 5.1 analog outs? Or is this only possible by way of a firmware update a la Toshiba's HD-A1? It's my birthday in a couple of weeks and I'm going to give myself the gift of blu. My receiver does not have HDMI and I'm quite satisfied with the lossless audio I get from my HD-A1, so if I can find a BD player with this same feature, my journey to format neutrality will be that much more painless.

Thanx in advance!

D

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I was in a similar position to you.I enjoy the lossless audio over the XA1 and purchased the Sammy 1200 recently.The picture is great and to my mind better than the Tosh at upsampling. It has 5.1 outs but the only setting it allows is whether your speakers are large or small etc.
The Tosh,in addition, allows you to set cross overs, channel volume separately,and most importantly,IMO, time delay.
I expect Sammy intends that you set these in your pre-amp or receiver and just take the data stream from the 1200 in the hopefully not too distant future when this equipment is available. That's OK for me but you may like to what adjustments are available on any player you are thinking to buy.

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
Had the receiver manufacturers had the 5.1 analog inputs connected to the chip inside the a/v receivers that performs bass mangagement, crossover, and time delay, all the analog ouputs on any kind of surround sound player(sacd,dvd-audio,pcm uncompressed) would have had to do is output the audio alone. It seems that the 5.1 channel analog inputs on the receiver was simply designed to receive raw audio and the machines that output that audio were supposed to do any adjustments internally in those machines. I believe that they may have been one or two receivers out there that did have the bass mangement etc adjustments in those analog inputs; I cannot recall who had it at this time. Gee, doesn't it sound like a "handshake" ordeal!!!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
You guys that use multiple players that both use the multi analogue out, how do you connect to your receiver that has only one set of multi analogue ins? Do you use a switcher?

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I don't do it but the switcher sure beats connecting and disconnecting. The thought of a maze of cables means I only have my DVD-A/SACD player connected by the analog 5.1 connections. There are some switchers that perform the function nicely including some designed to switch component video and composite audio, accounting for the 5 inputs and outputs. For my three players with 5.1 analog outputs, I would need 24 cables connected. The thought of that ugly mess distracts me from doing it.

Chris

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
There's no reason why a competently designed switcher should have any significant effect on the analog signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks