What's new

LOSING MY MIND TRYING TO DECIDE! HELP! (1 Viewer)

RGugs87

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
I am losing it trying to decide on what type of system to purchase for the TV room in the new house I am moving into at the end of the month. I was pumped about the TV room bc the current owner had already wired through the walls for wall mounted speakers but I recently learned that his placement was horrible (see diagram) but can understand since the room is awkward and doesn't allow for a couch in the middle.

I know that I want the Pioneer VSX 1019AH-K receiver due to the awesome reviews but I am lost when it comes to the speakers. I was originally only looking for small speakers to install into the current mounts but I have learned that due to the size of the room (13x21) that these speakers may not pack the punch. I am open to speakers that aren't made for wall mounts but I definitely do not want HUGE floor standing speakers.

My budget for speakers and sub is $700-850 with tax and shipping included. I was ready to buy the Paradigm Cinema 90 CT system but was told it is too small for the room although the room at 6th ave electronics was bigger and they sounded great (except the sub).

If you could please recommend some options that would be the best for the current speakers speaker placement as well as alternative setups it would be great! This decision has proved to be much more difficult and time consuming than I originally thought.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
this sub for $400. it's an ED i haven't heard it but it specs incredibly well for it's price, is recommended by someone who knows their stuff on this forum and shipping is included.

get three of the psb alpha c1 for the front 3 speakers here for $99 each. these are great speakers and play loud and clear. call saturday audio to order these and tell them you've got $450 to buy these and a pair of surrounds and see if they can cut you a deal do get you the 5 speakers shipped within your budget.

There are tons of other decent options out there, before buying anything you should really go listen to some speakers and subs to hear and figure out what you like. even if you don't buy what you audition, you'll have a reference point for comparison.

good luck

RGugs87

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
Thanks for the insight - I will look further into this. Where can I actually test these speakers - I feel like all we have is Best buy and 6th Ave around here.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going to disagree with Max about using 3 center channel speakers. If they optimize the crossover for a center channel then all 3 of the speakers will need to be mounted horizontally for proper sound dispersion.

I don't know about the 1019 but I have the Pioneer 1014. The MCACC auto calibration is very, very nice. My speakers are DIY with 6.5" drivers on the mains and center. The rears have 5.25" drivers. I can easily get into painful volume levels. Since your room is smaller, you can do the same with smaller speakers unless you have goals of reaching car audio SPL levels.

You will have to check the yellow pages for other locations to audition speakers. But I would take a chance on a package deal from SVS, eD or one of the many other internet direct companies.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks