What's new

Loretta Young Show is coming! (1 Viewer)

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I just spoke with her daughter-in-law today and she confirmed for me that they will be issuing season sets starting this fall. Finally a classic anthology comes to home markets. I just hope the audience for the show has bought DVD players and knows how to operate them!

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Or has a granddaughter who has them over for Wednesday movie nights, as I do with my 94-year-old grandmother. I vaguely remember watching this show as a little kid - really little, hadn't started kindergarten yet. It would be nice to see more of this era's programming released, while the people who can really appreciate it are still around to enjoy it.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Fabulous news! This show has been on my Wish List for some time.

There's a multi-tape VHS boxed set of the show, but the picture quality is really pretty awful. But the episodes are outstanding. I particularly like an episode where Loretta suddenly feels her husband is going to leave her for another woman, and she starts letting her imagination run away with her.

For some reason, TV Tome only shows 17 episodes for the show, although it ran for 8 years (1953-1961). They list nothing under the program's alternate title, "Letter To Loretta".

CherylWI

Stunt Coordinator
I never dreamed that this show would make it to dvd, let alone in season sets. I will be first in line to buy this set. I remember watching this show, though many, many years ago. Most of the stories were very touching and memorable. I especially remembered Loretta Young dancing through the door into the living room before introducing each episode.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I called and spoke to her daughter-in-law today and they are proceeding as planned. The first season should be ready to go within the next 3 months. And it will be complete with the openings that LY had them cut out in syndication. Its a good show and I hope it sells okay for them.

Greg Madsen

Second Unit

Good I was hoping that would be the case.

I have never seen this show but I am somehow intrigued and will be purchasing it.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, that's certainly encouraging, but now we have to jump the usual hurdle: Will these be uncut prints?

What's ominous is that "The Loretta Young Show" ran on CBS daytime for many years, and the episodes were cut so they could jam more commercials into them. These could be those old CBS prints, or some battered old (and also cut) syndication prints.

Anyone going to take a plunge on this one?

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I'm assuming complete. These are prints provided by her family and the only thing they cut out of them were the commercials. If they aren't complete, I would be surprised. I will be ordering this. It's great to get a show of this type out there.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I remember reading years ago that Loretta Young herself withdrew these shows from circulation because she didn't want people to see her wearing clothes that were out of style.

I know that's strange, but that's what I read!

I assume, wherever she is now, she doesn't care. Actually, those 1950s styles were attractive on her, so she has nothing to complain about.

AnnaMaria

Stunt Coordinator
This is on my list of must gets. I've never seen the show but I love old tv shows. Besides if people get them it sends out the word that people want the oldies.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator

No doubt I'm in the minority, but I like having original commercials in early (to me, that would be 1950's and 1960's) TV shows.

DG

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

It might be a large minority, because I feel the same way and I bet a lot of others do, too.

I especially would like to see the commercials the cast did. These were usually the last commercial before the bumper and the end credits. I know Andy Griffith used to do them.

Jack Benny incorporated the commercials into the program.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Count me in as another 'original commercial' fiend. I find they can quite often add a lot to the viewing experience (primarily in regards to the OLD shows; gad, I despise commercials nowadays!). A good example is that dvd collection of "Tales of Tomorrow." The "You Bet Your Life" sets also includes some original commercials, which are gems in and of themselves.

Nonetheless, I'll certainly be picking up this "Loretta Young" collection. I've only seen about a dozen or so episodes, and they seemed to vary quite a bit. Some were clever and charming, others occasionally boring (primarily the period pieces, done painfully in low-rent). But, that's the beauty in anthologies, the sheer variety of tales. Looking forward to this.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

So do I, and "despise" isn't putting it too strongly.

I'd be interested to know what you hate about them.

I hate just about everything about them, but especially the way (in so many of them!) the males are portrayed as idiots and the females as so wise and wonderful.

If I see one more female rolling her eyes at a male, I'll kick my foot through the set!

The worst of them is when some little girl, all of five or six, sets some adult male straight and tells him about something important that she, as a female, automatically understands while, he, as a male, doesn't understand at all, like the little brat telling her grandfather about metamucil.

If women were portrayed as such clueless idiots in commercials, they'd never stop complaining about it!

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I agree that shows are preferable with original commercials. It's a shame that they actually have the prints that way and decided not to use them. Maybe we should all contact the company and let them know how we feel and maybe they'll include the commercials in future sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks