What's new

Lord of War: 2-Disc Special Edition 1/17 (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^^ That is good news, if in fact the framing has changed to match the label. Hope it makes its way to Canada. I noticed a large stack of LoW at Wal-Mart the other day in the "new release" rack...odd, they don't usually do that for movies long past release day here. I didn't even look at them, since I "knew" the AR...maybe there's a reason they were in that rack? I remember the same thing happened to March of the Penguins when they changed the disc content (unannounced) a couple months ago.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I wonder...if that new 2.40:1 sticker is true...and you open up the movie and watch it and it's in 1.78...can you return it to Best Buy for cash back because of false advertising?

Normally you can't return opened movies (for piracy reasons that I understand and agree with) but in this case, if you buy something that is clearly labeled as 2.40:1 and then it turns out not to be, and no other correct version is available (as opposed to say if you bought fullscreen by accident and could trade it in for widescreen no problem), would they allow me to return it for a refund, do you think?

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
I think you have a good idea, but this is best buy you're talking about.

Those CSR's will have no clue when you bring the disc back and say the AR isn't what is indicated on the packaging.

Maybe it's worth contacting Mark Cuban about this -- he's got a pretty big stake in Lion's Gate doesn't he?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I watched this for the first time yesterday, and found it a nice surprise, good, entertaining movie. Then this thread. I feel violated...

The many "exotic locales" would have been so much more impactful and breathtaking in 2.35:1.

--
H

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe the just announced new BlueRay version will be 2.35 for cinefiles and the old DVD version without "black bars" is for Joe Six Pack.......:wink: :wink:

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
hmm, this new development is very interesting...is anyone willing to risk purchasing the new edition for the benifit of the greater good? :) Would the "dvd number (I forget the correct term)" be different? Or should there be a "v2" like on the BTTF sets? If the AR is correct, this is a must purchase for me.

Regards,
Nathan

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I checked two Best Buy's today and did not see this, but they had very low stock, so I'm hoping they'll replenish soon.

I like throwing my money away , so I'll bite the bullet and pick it up if I see a stickered one.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
At work today, we had some of the discs with the stickers on them, so I opened one up and checked it out on a display tv...

IT IS INDEED IN ANAMORPHIC 2.40:1!!!

The framing looked correct based on my memory of the screenshots posted here. It definitely looked more like the trailer screenshot on the first page of this thread then the DVD screen capture.

Looks like it's now safe for everyone to buy this! PS. I only checked out the 2 Disc Special Edition, not the 1 disc widescreen version. I didn't look for stickers on those either.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Grrr....they better be offering a replacement program.

Sounds like Bill Hunt needs to get these folks on the horn again.

They could have at least changed the UPC.

Vincent,

Where is the sticker? Bottom left-corner on the back?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Thanks Vincent.

I checked a few more stores on my way home, but none of them had the stickered version. I emailed Bill Hunt and I'm going to email Lionsgate as well.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
Yeah, checked my nearest Best Buy and nothing yet. I was going to ask, but then decided not to....

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If Universal could do a free disc swap for BTTF, and Fox for Star Wars...Lion's Gate better get on the ball here! :angry:

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

I know this is a Lord of War thread, but I guess I missed the above; what happened?

As for Lord of War, I'm glad it's been fixed, and since I haven't bought it yet, I don't have to worry about replacements. However, they really should offer an exchange program for those who have already bought it.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

A minor thing, just in Canada I think. They removed the trailers because parents complained they were inappropriate for children on a "children's disc". WTF?? This happened about a month after initial release IIRC.

It's just that this disc was changed and unannounced and appeared in the Wal-Mart new release rack. WM here is very fastidious about arranging discs, and something suddenly re-appearing in the new release rack a month or two after release "means something". Lord of War 2-disc re-appeared there last week, and I'm hoping the reason why is they are the new 2.40 version.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Until Lionsgate admits it's an error, I don't think an exchange will happen. People knowingly bought a MAR disc and it says so on the back.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

People buying on-line can't see what it says on the back of the box. I don't think e-tailers would have stated on their web sites that the disc was MAR. And most buyers wouldn't have been aware of the film's correct aspect ratio unless they'd seen it in the theatre.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks