What's new

Lord of War: 2-Disc Special Edition 1/17 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
mark elijah already said he has seen it and it is not 2.35:1

i watched it last week, it isnt 2.35"1 it is a 16x9 full screen ratio.

dont know if it is open matte though, as a few scenes have important info at the very top and bottom of the screen.

there are many burned subtitles very close to the bottom, but a suppose they could have been modified that way for the dvd.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Even with the 1.78.1 aspect ration of the film on DVD, it still feels the same cinematically from how I saw it in the theatre. It still has scope to it. I thought I was going to be disappointed but I'm not. It still looks great.

I'm guessing it was shot on Super 35. The same thing happened to Once Upon A Time in Mexico and the Recruit. You felt the missing spaces with Rodriguez's film but not with this one.

The transfer is pretty excellent throughout with a little EE. Overall, great presentation.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Andrew Niccol's trying to set the record for "what the heck is up w/ your aspect ratio" for a director (his Truman Show was at 1.66:1). :D

Didn't see it in the theater, but it's still a bummer to see it's non-OAR. Hopefully this change in aspect ratio was director approved (or insisted upon) and not a studio "let's get rid of the black bars on 16x9 screens" decision.

Was looking forward to buying this blind, but I'll wait until you all have the product in hand and see what is up.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
the movie is cropped. you don't see any more information on top and/or the bottom. i saw the film in 2.35:1 aspect ratio and it looked very fine that way.

here is a comparison taken from the trailer and the r1 dvd

trailer
[url=http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9994/lordofwartrl2ug.th.jpg] [/url]

r1 dvd
[url=http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1317/lordofwardvd8zs.th.jpg] [/url]

as you can see, you loose around 20% of information on the sites. since he film is presented oar in europe, i guess the decision was made by lions gate home entertainment to crop the film for it's region 1 release.

too bad, i'm not going to buy this dvd :thumbsdown:

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Thanks Enrico.
I will definitely wait to see what we get from Momentum here in the UK. The specs on DVDActive say 2 disk but no mention of aspect ratio or audio (as the R1 has DTS). Its not out until 6th March though.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
DVD Times has reviewed the R1 disc here. I found this part of particular interest:

So it seems like R2 will indeed be getting the theatrical aspect ratio.

Chris

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
I never saw the movie in theatres. I don't even think it came to my local theatre.

I've written up a review of the DVD, which can be found here

Jonathan_

Second Unit
According to the back of the DVD case, the single disc edition doesn't have DTS. Can anyone confirm if this is correct or if it's a misprint. I really want the DTS-ES, but I don't want to pay $5 for an extra disc that I will never watch.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I knew Weir directed but I believe Niccol wrote The Truman Show--I can see how the sentence I wrote may be misleading and seems to imply he directed it.

And while 1.66 may be common in the EU, it certainly is not here stateside, where there were quite a few threads in HTF regarding this aspect ratio (most of the HTF membership was at the time, and still is, based in the U.S.).

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I picked up the 2-Disc set at Tower during lunch this afternoon. Now here's the thing: I had every intention of buying the 2-Disc set anyways, but Tower was forcing it - which irks me.

All of the single disc editions they had in stock were Full Screen only. Anyone wanting the film in Widescreen had to buy the 2-Disc set (or shop elsewhere). It was only a $3 difference, which didn't matter to me since that was the version I was buying anyways - but still...

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
This is going to be a rental to see if I like it first, then I might buy the 2-disc SE. A lot of the reviews I've seen say it's got a pretty slow pace to it, so we'll see how I like it.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I usually only buy the single disc editions of DVD's since I don't have the time to plow through the extra features, and am on a limited budget.

However yesterday the local Wal Mart only had in stock the 2 disc edition, but was selling it for the single disc price! I picked up the two-disc edition for $13.88. Sweet!

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Harold,

It does have a VERY slow pace to it. I watched it last night and almost fell asleep. It starts out great, but really goes downhill about halfway through IMHO.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Russell: The 2-disc was only $1-2 more around here...unlike many 2-discers lately, so an easy decision for me.

Edit: I notice on the Canadian edition they specifically state that 1.78:1 is the DVD screen format, NOT the theatrical AR like they usually say (if it is).

Joel C

Screenwriter
I'd sa if you are a fan of the film, skip this DVD. I bought it, but found it so obviously (and badly) cropped, I returned it. Hopefully it will be re-released in the correct way someday soon (maybe on Blu-Ray?).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
joel were do you buy a dvd that you can return an opened one?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks