What's new

LORD OF THE RINGS Trilogy Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Moviehole.net seems to be speculating on the casting, but the original post on TheOneRing.net only claims that The Hobbit was seen on a filming calander at the New York offices of New Line Cinema.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Ummm, the only characters that appear in both stories are Bilbo (who almost assuredly will be recast a bit younger), Gandalf (Sir Ian has said he would happily return), Gollum (ditto on Serkis), and a very brief appearance by Elrond (again, no reason not to expect Hugo Weaving to be back). Arwen is not in "The Hobbit", so singling out Liv Tyler is suspect - although it's conceivable she could appear in a cameo role when Bilbo's party is in Rivendell (also, conceivable we could meet a young Aragorn there). Another possible cameo opportunity would be Orlando Bloom as Legolas during the sequence when Bilbo's party is imprisoned by the Woodland Elves.
One (1) cameo would be nice, preferably Aragorn. But knowing PJ & Co, they will probably stick in any and every wink they can.

--

H

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
And he'll have Gimli replace Glóin so we can have another Gimli farting scene.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
As long as PJ populates the remaining 99% of the Hobbit with the same brilliance of the LOTR trilogy, all the Dwarves can fart continuously throughout the entire movie for my part.:P

PattyFraser

Second Unit
If true, I would think that the July 2007 date refers to the beginning of principle photography. I've long believed that PJ et al have a script at the ready for whenever those legal boneheads settled things and paved the way. I still think it would then be 2008 before it would come to the screen--and this fits in with what PJ projected a while back.

Kami

Screenwriter
The Hobbit will happen, it's only a question of when. But Ian McKellan isn't getting any younger. I don't think I'd want to see The Hobbit without him.
Smaug is just the thing to raise the visual effects bar even higher. Higher than Kong or Gollum. I'm sure Weta could outdo themselves.
I posted my thoughts on the Costa Botes docs in the Software section if anyone is interested.
I think I miss the anticipation the most. In a perfect world there would be a new LOTR every December.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Counting down the days as well over here.
Now that we know what the box will look like, does anyone else remember the endless back-and-forth we had in some thread about what color the packaging would be for the ROTK EE DVD? Ah, memories. :laugh:

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Hey kami, i agree. I remember being here back when fellowship was about to be released. I remember your posts and lou's and chucks the most. It was 3 years of anticipation and it was awesome!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
From the front page on Yahoo! just now....
Unfinished Tolkien work to be published Mon Sep 18, 12:17 PM ET
An unfinished tale by J.R.R. Tolkien has been edited by his son into a completed work and will be released next spring, the U.S. and British publishers announced Monday.
Christopher Tolkien has spent the past 30 years working on "The Children of Hurin," an epic tale his father began in 1918 and later abandoned. Excerpts of "The Children of Hurin," which includes the elves and dwarves of Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" and other works, have been published before.
"It has seemed to me for a long time that there was a good case for presenting my father's long version of the legend of the `Children of Hurin' as an independent work, between its own covers," Christopher Tolkien said in a statement.
The new book will be published by Houghton Mifflin in the United States and HarperCollins in England.
J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings Trilogy" has sold more than 50 million copies and was also adapted into a blockbuster, Academy Award-winning trio of films. A stage version is scheduled to open next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks