What's new

Lord of the Rings Trilogy Blu Ray set for release November 3rd (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

And if the sales of the films you mentioned are so low that it negatively affects any re-releases.........then what?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'll buy this set when it comes out, and I'll buy the EE set when it comes out, and each time I'll sell off my respective DVDs. I don't see what the big deal is.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm very happy these are finally coming, but the EE's are so much improved over the theatrical that I'll wait. No need to spend $70 now and then $70 later after waiting this long.

I'll rent the theatricals until the EE's are here.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Having both versions on BR would be preferred, but I simply don't have the time to get through 4 hour movies, so the TEs are the ones I would likely be viewing.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
There's no way in hell this set will have low sales. The small fraction of Blu-ray owners that won't buy the set due to not having the EEs will not make much difference to the sales numbers. Indeed, this is the type of release that will get DVD only owners to buy a Blu-ray player this Christmas.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

And I agree. I like some parts of the extended Aliens, and the pre-Marines LV-426 scene is cool - in theory. As part of the movie, it bites. The story works much better when it stays with Ripley's POV. This weird leap to meet Newt's family is a distraction and it spoils the later tension...

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Well said! Ripley's POV is where the movie should stay. We don't even meet Newt until Ripley does and she's fleeing from her. Great stuff!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
its worth the upgrade. I got an onkyo 605 receiver back in 2007.

Jacob

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Rumor today posted from Blu-ray.com: "Rumor: Lord of the Rings Blu-ray Pushed to 2010" www.blu-ray.com/news/

Hope it's not true.
So little to be excited about what is being released these days.
Been eagerly looking forward to this set.

Paul

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Worth the wait if the delay is technical in nature. I'd much rather wait a few mores for superior A/V quality and supplements than to have them rush the release. On the other hand the article seems to also speculate that the delay may be caused by recent legal argreements. That would be disappointing.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Bill Hunt is confirming the delay of this set into early (March) 2010. His speculation as to the reason:

There's no official reason for the delay, because again the title hasn't even officially been announced. But the sense we're getting is that the studio already has a number of big 3rd and 4th quarter titles coming on Blu-ray this year - think Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, North by Northwest, etc - and they didn't want Rings to get lost in the crowd.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I'm such a battered spouse, I'll be getting these as soon as they drop, even though I'll almost certainly sell them right off again, once the EEs hit the marketplace.

But I can't imagine these will sell as well as the studio's hoping for. Anyone's who's into this format will already know more content's coming. Blu-Ray hasn't penetrated the market enough for WB/New Line to be able to fool anyone who presently owns a BD player.

Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer )

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Speaking as someone who waited for over three years for the corrected versions of Back to the Future 2 & 3 to appear in stores without effort, I can wait a little longer for the EE of these to come to BD.

The theatrical cuts just don't cut it compared with the EE's and I'll never watch those again.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Yahoo has a trailer up for the HD versions of these. Kinda odd they'd release a trailer now when the films are 3+ months away from streeting.

In the meantime I've been buying up the United Cutlery Swords of these films. Four down, another auction closing tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks