1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lord Of The Rings, The: The Motion Picture Trilogy (MERGED THREAD)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MikeNeuman, Dec 17, 2003.

1. MikeNeuman

MikeNeuman Member

I heard rumors of when ROTK hits DVD, a massive 15 disc set will be released that will contain all the movies and new extras from every movie. Anyone else hear about this? I'm asking because I surprisingly don't own ANY of the LOTR DVDs yet, and I was wondering if I should wait or not. Sorry if this has been asked already.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

I haven't heard this before, but it wouldn't surprise me if New Line dips into the pie another time.

That said, the EEs of the first two movies are extensive to the point where the commentaries and extras become almost redundent. If you only get the EEs, you should be more than good to go.

3. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

I agree with Adam. I can hardly think of anything they could add that would make a double-dip worthwhile if you already own both the Theatrical and Extended Edition DVD sets for all three films (which, incidentally, will be 18 discs total).

4. Vic Cordova

Vic Cordova Active Member

do you REALLY need more than four discs dedicated to one movie????

5. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Well-Known Member

I also don't think we will see any new versions of Lord of the Rings in the foreseeable future. I do think they will repackage the 3 EE's for a massive 12 disc set, but I doubt New Line will add anything new to the set. If they did they would just piss on all who bought the current editions, and they seem sane enough to NOT want that...

6. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Well-Known Member

perhaps they will add additional features so that you would want to buy them all over again

[​IMG]

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    All I read is that after next year's

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Well-Known Member

I've held out on purchasing EE's after Fellowship for this reason.

9. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Well-Known Member

New Line also said when they first released the Fellowship EE that while there may be an eventual large boxed set of the films, it wouldn't contain any material that wasn't available in the three EEs. So I'm buying the EEs for each movie, confident that New Line won't screw me over. They've been good so far.

10. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Well-Known Member

Somehow, I'm not surprised that New Line is planning a LOTR box set of all three films.

The question I'm thinking at this point is, how many discs will comprise the Return of the King: EE set? Four discs or five, given the length of the film? I'm thinking it'll be five, in which case it would extend to 13 discs for the entire set.

11. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Well-Known Member

I remember reading a pseudo-official statement from New Line that the EEs would be the definitive versions of the movies, which means that any new releases would just be repackaging. A 12-disc set of the trilogy makes sense, but I doubt they'll add any more material. I mean really, what more could they add? A whole disc of bloopers for each movie? [​IMG] In any case, I won't be double-dipping. The EEs are saturated with extras.

12. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Well-Known Member

I wonder where they would get more extra material to fill up 2 more discs of information on the making-of.

The two current releases are 4 discs a pop.

Total 8 Discs.

Add to that the 4 (or possibly 5 depending on length) discs of ROTK and you have a total of 12 or 13 discs. I can't see two more discs of extras really adding much to what has already been said. Maybe those could be deleted scenes that didn't make it back into the extended editions.

But honestly, 15 Discs? That's a freakin' lot for just 3 films.

13. RobertW

RobertW Well-Known Member

well, i haven't checked out the appendices for TTT, so i'm not sure if this was covered there, but there must be a bunch of stuff on the MASSIVE computer program that they use to generate the gigantic battl scenes like helm's deep and the pellenor fields. that would be interesting to explore in depth.

oops. you meant two more discs in addition to the regular extras that the extended edition will contain. but maybe a lot of behind the scenes stuff of the filming, blooper reels and such?

14. PaulP

PaulP Well-Known Member

I wonder about the theatrical DVD of ROTK? Will the be able to fit a 3 and a half hour film onto one disc? Or will the theatrical DVD be a 3-disc set, and the EE, which is rumored to be either 4:15 or 4:50, a 5-disc set?

15. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Well-Known Member

What I would like to know is there any footage of PJ when he went to New Line's Bob Shaye to discuss two films and he got the trilogy ?

I am sure there is something floating about.

How about E Wood's audition tape ?

Cheers

[​IMG]

16. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Well-Known Member

It's been rumored that Wood's audition tape will make an appearance on the ROTK EE discs. But I don't have any solid facts (and I doubt anyone knows for sure at this point what's going to be on it, including Jackson).

17. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Well-Known Member

There are also a number of deleted scenes that weren't put back into the extended editions that could be placed on any new dvd editions.

18. JasonTil

JasonTil Well-Known Member

The only way that I would double dip again is if the three movies were cut to where they flowed seamlessly as a single film.

19. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Well-Known Member

I am not a big Lord of the Rings and do not follow ins and outs. However, a good friend of mine is. There was a screening of Return last week at a film festival in Austin, Texas and the director was there and was talking about the longer versions of all three films that will be released in a huge box later on and he was working on filming yet additional scenes.

20. DanR

DanR Well-Known Member

Holy Cow, Joe Caps just put a big log on the fire!!!

I'm holding out until late 2005/2006...I figure I'll be able to get these films in High Def on some sort of disc format by then.

Regards,
    Dan