1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lord of the Rings Limited Edition Blu-ray available for Pre-order on Amazon

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Well-Known Member

Yes but with the recent reports that blu-ray production is reaching the limits of its capacity and there will be street date delays in the next few months, this maybe a production issue more than anything else.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu-ray-disc/combo-packs-threaten-blu-ray-disc-production-23217

Doug

2. AaronMK

AaronMK Well-Known Member

Aaron Karp
    Same was true of the Theatrical Edition Blu-rays, yet the video was sub par on those.

Warner is still finalizing the details of the set. While I do want to see the breathing room two discs would provide, I'd much rather proper mastering and encoding if I had to pick between the two. I think the fact that the lower bitrate MPEG-2 HD Broadcasts showed details smeared away on the TE Blu-ray illustrates why.

Still, if it turns out they will be cramming Return of the King onto a single disc, I'll be canceling my pre-order and wait for reviews before deciding.

3. theonemacduff

theonemacduff Well-Known Member

Jon Paul
    This is a no-brainer, no-buy for me, even though I am a huge fan of the films. (1) No guarantee yet that the films will sport a new transfer, in the context of many reports of sub-par transfers of the theatrical releases and (2) trying to make me buy the EE supplements all over again: I already gots 'em. So I'll wait until either the price drops to a reasonable level, or a set including the 2 Hobbit films comes out, probably the former. And speaking of price drops, just after Christmas I found the Alien BR set at Costco for $49.99. If the same thing happens next January with the EE of LOTR, then sure, it's worth picking up. But it has to be in the $40-$50 range.

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Well-Known Member

This is more likely due to the cost of reauthoring the discs - they already have them, why spend more to put them on Bluray?

5. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Well-Known Member

I think both situations are probably factors. One they already have the DVDs on hand, and two if producing blu-rays of SD material is going to delay the release, why bother?

Doug

6. Radioman970

Radioman970 Well-Known Member

James Perry

7. Mark-P

Mark-P Well-Known Member

Mark Probst
    I intend to buy this because I'm dying for the extended editions in 1080p, even though 6 of the 9 discs in this set will be duplicates of what I already own. Wouldn't it have been nice if Warner could have also put out a 3-disc movie-only edition to avoid this duplication and give us a little bit of a price-break.

8. johnSM

johnSM Well-Known Member

Has there been any word about the UK release date for this set yet? No pre-order on amazon.co.uk as yet...

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

The slot is there. You can set your account to be notified when it gets released. (That's what I did.)

Cees

10. Norm

Norm Well-Known Member

Norm
    What happened to the seamless branching idea. The Lord of the Rings : Extended Edition should have both versions on it.

11. Norm

Norm Well-Known Member

Norm
    I'm am still not sure which versions I like better. Sometimes its nice to have the TC version when watching with people who have limited time. I've never even seen the ROTK DC. I was waiting to see it on blu-ray. I just hope C. Lee is added enough to make the wait worth it.

12. Khai L

Khai L Well-Known Member

Khai
    bluray.com is reporting that the set will include 15 discs in total???? Does this mean that the movies will be split across 2 BDs? 15 discs sounds ridiculous. Consolidate the extra features onto a BD for christ's sake, even if they are still SD quality!!!!

13. RobertR

RobertR Well-Known Member

Apparently, the films will be split across 2 BDs (good news, they need that much space). I've heard a rumor that the extras will be on 9 DVDs because BD production capacity is reaching its limits.

14. Khai L

Khai L Well-Known Member

Khai
    Glad to hear that official announcement indicates each movie will be on 2 BDs. But still hate that all the extras are just on DVDs. I would've preferred the features to be consolidated on BDs, even if they were in SD quality.

But, the movies are the most important thing, and if a remaster of FOTR is included, that's fantastic.

I'm sure there'll be a lot of 12hr LOTR marathons come June!!

15. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Well-Known Member

Jonathan Perregaux
    It would be nice if they fixed the scene in The Return of the King when the Mouth of Sauron...

...and his horse vanished from the ground in the long shot after Aragorn chopped his head off. Like, okay the horse rode off with the body, but where's the head?

16. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Well-Known Member

I'm not concerned about the bitrate (the TE of ROTK, including audio tracks, is a shade under 30GB, and I'm sure the extra material won't take up an extra 20GB), but I do hope DNR-gate doesn't happen again with the EEs.

I actually think the TEs look quite faithful to the film prints I saw (and I saw these films in their theatrical release over and over again ;)), but the DNR instances are jarring reminders that I am not, in fact, watching my own private 35mm prints.

17. Phil Carter

Phil Carter Well-Known Member

Phil
    Like others, I'm a little sad that the existing supplements are reissues of the current DVD versions and not remastered (I already own the giftsets for all three Extended films), but remastered FOTR plus each film being split over two discs for the highest possible video quality means I will nevertheless be picking these up on release date. Then again, what do you expect from somebody who went to Trilogy Tuesday and eventually saw each of the movies at least twenty times in theatres? :)