What's new

Lord of the Rings extended DVD (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
:laugh: :laugh:
God I can't wait till Nov. I've already got the new player and reciever down...the next step is the TV!

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone thought of how they will span a DTS track across 2 disk's. As I see it, there can't be a seamless transition when you swap disk's. It would have to have a small menu to allow selection of DD or DTS.
Sorry to reply to something long since forgotten on page 1...

I could be wrong but I seem to recall that when I flipped over my Das Boot disc, side 2 started playing immediately and my DVD player remembered the audio and subtitle settings I had selected on side 1. I think this capability is part of the DVD spec, but the discs have to be correctly authored to make use of it.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
somone else mentioned earlier that on another DTS 2-disc set they have (movie spread accross 2 discs) that they do have a quick "pick your audio" menu that pops up when you put in the 2nd disc.

Interesting that it seemed your DVD player "remembered" when you flipped your disc. I can't imagine how it would know that it's still playing the same movie once the disc has been removed from the tray and flipped/another disc inserted.

-dave

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
straight from the pages of www.theonering.net about a 1970s revival of 7 hours of Lord of the Ring music.
Here is the direct link http://www.move.com.au/news.cfm/3
A small army of Lunatic Musical Mates became the nucleus of the sometimes frighteningly large army of LMM's who helped me perpetrate the seemingly endless LOR phantasmagoria. The Lord of the Rings. The writing and recording of which took a good eight years of my life. After a further fourteen more years, people are still walking up to me saying how much they enjoyed my Lord of the Flies.

Kami

Screenwriter
From TORn:
Trey Y writes:
I found a mention of how great the upcoming 4-disc set is in an article written by a producer of the 'added value material' for that edition.
Robert Meyer Burnett is the director, etc., of the cult hit "Free Enterprise," (love that movie -Xo) and these days his paying gig is producing the aforementioned 'added value materials.' He's also worked on the "Snow White," "Usual Suspects" and "Tron" DVDs.
Here's the link, followed by a warning:
Warning: the site Burnett's column appears on is called "Movie Poop Shoot." It's a new entertainment news/rumor site (similar to Ain't It Cool News) founded by director Kevin Smith. So be aware that there is adult language on the site.
Now, so you don't have to read the whole article, I'll paste the part we really care about.
"Incidentally, for those of you few poor souls actually following the DVD producer road rally, let me state for the record that my boss, Michael Pellerin, the producer behind New Line Cinema's monster DVD of Peter Jackson's masterstroke, has conjured up, Istari-style, the single greatest DVD ever created. Or will ever be created, with the possible exception of the other two films in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. A bold statement, I know, but after you buy the f***er in November (and you will), tell me if I'm wrong."

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm excited about the 4-Disc release. Not only does it have 4 commentaries, DD 5.1 EX, DTS 6.1 ES, and all, it's being produced by the same team that's brought us the Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box, Fantasia Anthology, Snow White Platinum Edition, and the Atlantis CE!

Jimmy Gonzalez

Stunt Coordinator
Where can I sign up to be Peter Jackson's Bitch?:)
I can't remember a time where I was so willing to pay for each version of one movie/DVD. I think this is a first!:eek:
Samuel J. Gonzalez

MMMMMMMMMMMM tasty.
I will definetly be getting the 4 discer.
Also look for the cheapest and more high quality projector and projection screen. :D

Shel

Auditioning
Maybe this has been covered somewhere else here, I'm new here so forgive me, but does anyone know what the deleted scenes are? I'm still mad that Tom Bombadil was cut out. I'd love to hear he's in the extended version.

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
I do not know how many of you pre-ordered your dvd, but I am certainly happy I did!!! Amazon priced the gift set at $49 bucks up until yesterday I guess. I was frantically looking for a coupon for $5 bucks off. I finally found one and when I went back to order Amazon bumped the price up to $59 bucks. The horror, I thought to myself. So I decided to take it up with their customer service. When I looked for a number there was none to be found. Shocking, I was very freakin nervous, I searched and searched and searched. Finally I was fortunate enough to remember I had it in my checkout. So I got it for $45 bucks.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Maybe this has been covered somewhere else here, I'm new here so forgive me, but does anyone know what the deleted scenes are? I'm still mad that Tom Bombadil was cut out. I'd love to hear he's in the extended version.
Tom was cut out of the movie long before the cameras started rolling... he was one of the clean lifts made to the story while in script form. Sorry! :)
dvd.ign.com posted this on the deleted scenes:
* More time with the Hobbits including a musical number.
* Extra scene further underscores the Hobbits sense of isolation and the growing realization that they can't ignore the outside world for much longer.
*Frodo and Sam POV watching the elves going to the "Undying Land".
*When the Hobbits are sleeping, Frodo is awakened by Aragorn's signing of an elvish tune that foreshadow's his relationship with Arwen.
*More at Rivendell with Aragorn.
*More on the departure of the Fellowship from Rivendel.
*More in the Mines before the cave troll fight.
*Gifting scene ... as the Fellowship leaves, Galadriel gives them each a personalized gift that will end up being critical to their future. Legolas gets a special bow, Sam gets some elvin rope that comes in handy when he faces a giant spider in The Two Towers, and a touching moment between Gimli and Galadriel.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Well I just pre-ordered the gift set from Amazon but I got it for the $59.99 price. Oh well. I'm just happy that I've got it ordered. Maybe Amazon will ship it a little early!! One can hope.

Edit after reading Jeffrey's post: Dammit all to hell! Why do I always miss the lowest price?

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
You can cancel your order until they ship it. If it is worth anything, I got it for $45 with free shipping. So I probably will not see mine until Thanksgiving.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Just as a follow-up to JeffreyMercado's post: the Costco price is great, but if you're not a member there it may not be the best price. I didn't realise that Costco tacks a 5% charge onto all online sales for non-members.
For me, it adds up to $49.99 + $4.98 (S&H) + $2.50 (5% non-member charge) + $2.87 (5% MA state sales tax) = $60.34 total.
I'm not going to become a member for the sake of one DVD set. And with all those added fees, it would still be cheaper for me to go through Deep Discount DVD.
Mind you, it's a good deal for those of you who are Costco members...
doug

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I used to be a Costco member but no longer. I'm hoping that Amazon will ship very close to the release date. I'd go crazy if I had to wait more than a couple of days, let alone Thanksgiving (I know you were exaggerating :) )

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I have one major problem with the 4 disc set.

Having to wait until November, instead of it coming out in August like the theatrical version.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
* More time with the Hobbits including a musical number. * When the Hobbits are sleeping, Frodo is awakened by Aragorn's signing of an elvish tune that foreshadow's his relationship with Arwen
Let me first say that FOTR is my favorite movie of all time and I've seen it 14x already, but this is not something I'm looking forward to. If in fact it's as bad as I'm imagining it, I won't be watching this extended version as much as the original version and would be happy that I infact did purchased the August release.
The great mighty king-to-be Aragorn who slaughters dozens of orts and Uruk Hai does not sing :). I refuse to imagine that or accept that ;). I skipped all the singing in the books. Just seem out of place in this day and age movie going experience. Now, if he does poetry ;), that's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks