What's new

Lord of the Rings extended DVD (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Take note, Universal. 4 disc set for $29.95 and the 5 disc collector's ultimate edition for $69.95.
$39.95 and $79.95 to quote IGN. MSRPs, which you wont have to pay, just like you wont have to pay the $70 MSRP for E.T.

Dan

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
I think Jussi's comment about the pricing and referring Universal has more to do with the following:

With E.T. you have to buy the expensive gift set, including the cd, script etc., to get the original version.

New Line, on the other hand is more friendly to the wallet, offering the LOTR director's cut in two versions:

- director's cut + dvd extras for a reasonable price
- director's cut + dvd extras + bookends, National geog. doc etc. for the ultimate collector who has the money

This way you don't have to pay yourself sore to get the extended version. And if one wants the bookends, etc. than that's the way to go.

Universal should do the same with E.T.:
- 2002 cut + extras disc for a normal price
- original cut + 2002 cut + extras disc for a reasonable price
- original cut + 2002 + extras disc + cd, script etc. for the ultimate collector who has the money

Please feel free to bash my opinions if you want.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
What so great about the three different sets is that New Line are catering to the consumer, not themselves.

I'm only going to buy the "standard" 4-disc version, because something tells me I won't be watching the original theatrical version or its special features once the new set comes along and I can honestly do without bookends and there'll be nothing on the National Geographic disc to compare with the in-depth documentaries on the 2 supplemental discs already there, and I thank New Line for not filling it up with promotional surface-skimming features for "completists" sakes.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Let's break it down
Packaging- Perfect. Exactly what was asked for (book)
Content- Fantastic. 4 discs bursting to the gills with extras and a high bitrate transfer of the movie
OAR, Great packaging, unbeatable content, both cuts available at fair price= SALE!
Universal- OAR, OK packaging, OK content, Both cuts available only at outrageous price= NO SALE!
Let's hear it for New Line! Great disc, Great Price, and the respect of the work and vision to let PJ make LOTR without blaspheming. They have been rewarded with worldwide praise and admiration, (OK and a TON of cash :) ) Well done!

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
It seems to me that while each of the LOTR movies is going to be getting a great treatment(s) on DVD, that New Line should NOT release one of the ULTIMATE BOX SETS at the end. After all, the Gift Sets are loaded beyond belief. I can't honestly say that I will buy a BIG set at the end if I already own two versions of each movie already.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
These are the details for the LOTR: Extended Edition due out on Nov. 12th.

Priced at $39.98, the 4-disc set will include the following (and none of which will appear on this summer's 2-disc release):

Discs 1 & 2

A 208-minute extended cut of the movie presented in anamorphic 2.35:1 widescreen with both Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES audio.
4 commentaries: Peter Jackson and writers; the design team; the production team; the cast featuring more than 30 participants including Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen and Academy Award® winners Richard Taylor, Andrew Lesnie, Howard Shore, Jim Rygiel, Randy Cook...and many more.
Disc 3:

Adapting the book in a screenplay & planning the film.
Designing and building Middle-earth.
Storyboards to pre-visualization.
Weta Workshop visit - An up-close look at the weapons, armor, creatures and miniatures from the film.
Atlas of Middle-earth: Tracing the journey of the Fellowship.
An interactive map of New Zealand highlighting the location scouting process.
Galleries of art and slideshows with commentaries by the artists.
Guided tour of the wardrobe department.
Footage from early meetings, moving storyboards and pre-visualization reels.
And more...
Disc 4:

Bringing the characters to life.
A day in the life of a hobbit.
Principal photography: Stories from the set.
Scale: Creating the illusion of size.
Galleries of behind-the-scenes photographs and personal cast photos.
Editorial and visual effects multi-angle progressions.
Sound design demonstration.
And more...
The same day, an uber-deluxe Lord of the Rings: Collector's DVD Gift Set will arrive...priced at $79.98. It will include the 4-disc Extended Edition, the National Geographic Beyond the Movie: The Lord of the Rings DVD, starter packs from Decipher's Customizable Card Game, and 2 Sideshow Weta bookends.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I'm only going to buy the "standard" 4-disc version, because something tells me I won't be watching the original theatrical version or its special features once the new set comes along and I can honestly do without bookends and there'll be nothing on the National Geographic disc to compare with the in-depth documentaries on the 2 supplemental discs already there, and I thank New Line for not filling it up with promotional surface-skimming features for "completists" sakes.
I agree, the 4 disc set, with the extended length movie is for me.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
That not so great deal makes me confident that $57 won't be so difficult for me to spend. If I thought the 5 disc set would be limited or numberred, I'd have orderred already. It's amazing what you can sell on Ebay based on people not doing their research.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I am Peter Jackson's bitch. I will buy the 2-disc set and the gift set, and if he re-releases them again with an added still gallery of Frodo's hairy toes, I'll buy those too.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Let's hear it for New Line"

Personally I would put these guys at the top of the list when it comes to releases.They have consistantly put out excellent DVDs.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>I am Peter Jackson's bitch. I will buy the 2-disc set and the gift set, and if he re-releases them again with an added still gallery of Frodo's hairy toes, I'll buy those too.

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
Oh. My. God.

Why oh why do these companies compel me to spend all my hard-earned money? Not only do I simply have to have The X-Files box sets the day they each come out, but now there's this simply luscious gift set of a truly epic and exciting film.

The horror.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
So, the DC will have DTS-ES Discrete 6.1?? I say that because all of the DTS-ES discs New Line has released so far have been full DTS-ES 6.1 remixes.
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Chuck, that Ebay is unbelievable. Ebay, where fools and their money are soon parted.
On top of the $100 bid already posted (probably fake under a false account) you also get to pay 12.50 shipping.
Or I will pick one up at a B&M for about $60 in my hands I would expect.
But then I'm just crazy enough to risk this...
ORDER NOW TO SECURE YOUR COPY SO YOU CAN OWN ONE AND NOT JUST HEAR ABOUT HOW GREAT THEY ARE.
Gee, I sure hope I don't end up just hearing about how great they are. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks