What's new

Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Vol. 3? (1 Viewer)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Sorry if my head has been in the sand and I missed some sort of announcement, but is the third volume of the LOONEY TUNES PLATINUM COLLECTION coming out this holiday season or has it been pushed back or cancelled altogether? I'd hate to see this series end up in the same kind of black hole as THE MUPPET SHOW. Does anyone know what's what?

Thanks!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Last I heard, Looney Tunes Vol 3 was pushed back to Q1 or possibly Q2 2014. No reason given why.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
This being Warner, they're obsessed with the idea that "Kids have forgotten the Looney characters!" (a notion that strikes them every time one of their "new" attempts to market the characters tanks), and are trying to find excuses not to continue releasing the series.
Not so much because of sales on Looney Vol. 2, but more likely because--gasp!--we didn't buy "Chuck Jones: the Mouse Chronicles"!! :eek:

So, instead of being their big November-holiday guns, they may be trying one last-chance re-strategy of pushing it up to February to Easter, the traditional gold-rush season for kids/cartoon videos, esp. for characters that parents recognize and can buy as gifts.
(November would've also been too much studio-icon competition with Wizard of Oz, and one more Batman/Dark Knight promotion for the holiday rush.)

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Ejanss said:
Not so much because of sales on Looney Vol. 2, but more likely because--gasp!--we didn't buy "Chuck Jones: the Mouse Chronicles"!! :eek:
No, it's more because of sales on Volume 2. The LTs have long been oversaturated at mass retail, and the Platinum Collections have done little to help that.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'd be happy with even single-disc Blu releases. The Super Stars DVDs have a ton of exclusive shorts that are clearly from remasters as good as the Golden Collections. It seems like a missed opportunity by not making them dual format or having Blu editions. Especially for important releases like the complete Pepe le Pew.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Warner should give up on trying to have these sets appeal to children and collectors alike. Right now they're just releasing a random mixture of cartoons in each volume with little rhyme or reason, and collectors are hesitant to pull the trigger because they're skeptical that Warner will finish release all the cartoons.

I think they should release them in 4 volumes, by decade, or about 250 cartoons per set (perhaps an 8 disc set), and have them in chronological order. Street price should be around $100 per set and I think would be much more enticing for true fans and collectors, who make up the bulk of sales, as opposed to parents buying these for their kids.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
bruceames said:
I think they should release them in 4 volumes, by decade, or about 250 cartoons per set (perhaps an 8 disc set), and have them in chronological order. Street price should be around $100 per set and I think would be much more enticing for true fans and collectors, who make up the bulk of sales, as opposed to parents buying these for their kids.
I would be willing to buy a bluray set which has all the Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner cartoons.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I don't think the target audience is children and collectors. I actually think a sizeable portion, perhaps even the majority, are like me: nostalgic but casual looney tunes fans. I have the first two volumes and they really satisfy my desire for all of the key WB cartoons, especially those I remember fondly from my childhood.I don't think there's much point catering to the hardcore completists. From the feedback I've read, there probably aren't enough of the real collectors, and they appear highly fragmented, each wanting different arrangements of the material, and at different price points.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
If that's the case then there's no point in Warner releasing any more sets because they've already released plenty to satisfy any casual fan. Just like casual I Love Lucy fans would be satisfied to have a modest collection of "Best of Lucy" episodes in no particular order, hard core fans will want the complete collection in chrono order.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
They've already taken that approach in a way by making the first set more of a "best of", indeed even releasing a cheaper Showcase version which only has the key first disc of the first set. The first set also got the more lavish presentation as a digibook, along with a limited edition version. The second set, which they knew would appeal less to casual fans, has received ordinary packaging. So it looks to me as though they're unmistakeably targeting casual fans.Also, don't mistake casual for utterly clueless. Just because I and many others are casual fans, doesn't mean we have no idea of any chronology or the existence of various characters. We're just not completists, nor willing to pay hundreds of dollars for sets containing the more obscure characters or cartoons. This is not the same as picking up a random batch of episodes of a TV series. It's more like saying I'm happy to buy seasons 1 and 2 of Star Trek TOS, but not the vastly inferior season 3 (which is what I did in fact do).

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Persianimmortal said:
So it looks to me as though they're unmistakeably targeting casual fans.
Whoever they are targeting, it's not working out. Otherwise we'd have seen a volume 3 by now. Which is why I suggested redirecting their focus to the core fans, because they are interested in seeing them all released.
This is not the same as picking up a random batch of episodes of a TV series. It's more like saying I'm happy to buy seasons 1 and 2 of Star Trek TOS, but not the vastly inferior season 3
Yes it is. And I wasn't saying they release a complete set in one SKU, but rather split it up in 4 volumes by decade.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd prefer they focus on the collector and put out larger sets in the attempt to actually issue the complete "Loony Tunes" series in out life time.

That said, I'm willing to buy any Bluray release provided the content is uncensored and all that. Seeing how they completely pooped the bed with "Tom & Jerry" though, I suspect that we wont be seeing any more classic cartoon collections. They were already deemed "not cost efficient" prior to the T&J fiasco. Time Warner have made it pretty clear that they would rather re-release titles than take a chance, and sadly they wont license out so those of us who would love to own a complete set of classic cartoons are screwed.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Why does trash like South Park and Family Guy/Cleveland Show/American Dad receive full releases but animation with true wit and humor like this, and the other Golden Age classics get put on the back burner?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
phillyrobt said:
Why does trash like South Park and Family Guy/Cleveland Show/American Dad receive full releases but animation with true wit and humor like this, and the other Golden Age classics get put on the back burner?
Because they sell better. Also, South Park is a brilliant social satire and a Peabody-award winning show.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
TravisR said:
Because they sell better. Also, South Park is a brilliant social satire and a Peabody-award winning show.
In terms of animation, however, Looney Tunes still comes out far ahead.

Kirben

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
bruceames said:
Warner should give up on trying to have these sets appeal to children and collectors alike. Right now they're just releasing a random mixture of cartoons in each volume with little rhyme or reason, and collectors are hesitant to pull the trigger because they're skeptical that Warner will finish release all the cartoons.

I agree, I don't like the early cartoons, and it would be good if I could just skip those completely.

Volume 2 was too much of a mixed bag, and was really disappointing. I especially hated the Hollywood and wartime cartoons, and how much space was wasted by the later.

I thoroughly enjoyed Volume 1 (especially seeing Ralph Phillips for first time), and the Mouse Chronicles (never seen Sniffles before), but I don't know if I will buy any future volumes, if they continue this way.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
We badly need more Bob Clampett and Tex Avery cartoons from the 40s, as well as cartoons by the likes of Frank Tashlin and Arthur Davis. I am not a big fan of a lot of the 30s cartoons, when the studio was new to cartoons and finding their way. And many of the 60s cartoons are woeful.

I don't care how they release them - they just need to do it, on bluray. I wouldn't mind some repeats of stuff already available on the DVD Golden Collections, as long as there were some stuff that hasn't seen light of day since the big laserdisc sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks