What's new

Looney Tunes on DVD SURVEY! (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. Doesn't $69.95 MSRP seem just a wee bit on the expensive side for just 60 cartoons? Disney did the Complete Goofy set which has almost 50 cartoons for under $25 retail. I clicked on the box in their survey that said 'Too Expensive' and then offered the above anecdote to them in the comments box. Hopefully they will rethink the price structure. As much as I like Bugs, Daffy & The Gang, $69.95 x 18-20 boxed sets = No Sale for me.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Actually the Goofy set is $32.99 retail.

Frankly, 60 cartoons for about $40-$45 street price isn't the best deal around, but it's not priced too high to stop me. LT/MM are very important to me, and quality counts as well.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
That would give me more confidence that more good stuff was to come. That's one reason I like the Disney Treasures collections so much. Completeness and commitment to excellence.
Even though I've never been a huge fan of Disney's shorts, I do appreciate them and I'm kind of thinking about starting to collect those WDT sets just to show support for how they're doing that. The sets look almost too slick to not have :)

Chip C

Auditioning
I hope they put the 'right' cartoons in there...it should be the 60 most popular to start with, as long as they're doing a compilation set.

Could you see them doing this set without "One Froggy Evening," "Rabbit of Seville," or "What's Opera, Doc?"?

I certainly couldn't...

Peace,

Chip

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
$50-60 is actually quite good if you consider this...

Nearly all of the pre-1950 cartoons needed extensive restoration. That's more than half of all of the cartoons.

Second, this is for a FOUR disc set. Disney's sets are only 2-disc.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Didn't some company called Bosco release the SNAFU shorts on DVD? I read an unfavorable review somewhere.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Bosko Video put out some watchable DVDs of Snafu and Bosko, but they're from very beaten prints and feature a logo pasted in the corner.

WB has archival elements for these films, I think.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Second, this is for a FOUR disc set. Disney's sets are only 2-disc.
I was gonna say that too. We should probably look at the number of hours rather than the number of episodes. I don't know the length of the Goofy shorts, but they're probably not as long as the LT's.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Disney and Warner shorts are both about 7 minutes long.

Warner is looking to be 14-15 shorts per disc.

The Disney ones are about 16-23 shorts per disc (varies a lot).

Warner has shown a tendency to use DVD-5 for animated releases, which will likely result in a lower bitrate than the Disney sets.

Alistair_M

Second Unit
I for one would rather they release the 2 disk version - the price is right and plenty of material there. People who would he interested in the shorts - but not fanatical about them would go for a 2 disk collection - but not an expensive boxset.

I really hope they think of the casual fans (like me) - I know I would not pay $70 for the shorts. There are so many releases coming this year I do think the sales would be rather limited if they only release the 4 disk set.

They could always make subsequent releases the 4 disk boxsets (for the real fans)- but go for volume sales at the 27 dollar mark for the initial 2 disk set.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There are so many releases coming this year I do think the sales would be rather limited if they only release the 4 disk set.
Ummm, Have you not been to a WB store? Have you not seen the thousands of dollars fans spend on LT merchandise? (i.e. those expensive jackets)

I would hate to see a boxed set suffer and be minuscule due to the fact that some people can't afford to buy tons of DVD's.

DVD collecting is hardly a poor mans sport.

and they're only asking for $70...that's $1.16 per episode.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
even though I was rejected for the survey, I won't be t rying to take it again or otherwise falsify it.

If there are any Warner guys reading this, thank you very much for taking the time to create the survey to find out what people would like. I've been a Looney Toons lover since I was four, and look forward to acquiring as many of these shorts on DVD as is humanly possible (hopefully just by buying various gold collection releases). If initial sales of more collectible releases such as the Gold Collection do not quite meet expectations don't be discouraged. The Disney Treasures releases have been around for two years, but are only now beginning to reach market awareness outside of the insane dvd collector, and they're getting more and more popular and more and more difficult to find.

I would also like to emphasize that I will only purchase these dvds if they are available uncut, uncensored, and ONLY in their original aspect ratio. If you need to get a Leonard Maltin- esque Warner Bros. nut like Drew Casper (or maybe Robert Osbourne) to preface the potentially un PC shorts that is absolutely fine with me. These cartoons should be placed in historical context, that's a good thing, but they shouldn't be altered to represent the supposed superiority of modern sensibilities.

Thank you and I look forward to the HTF chat, you guys do an absolutely wonderful job with DVD, and get little praise compared to the vast amounts of flak you recieve for what is not yet released. Keep on with your excellent work on quality releases, don't worry about quantity of releases, quality is vastly more important.

Adam

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
and they're only asking for $70...that's $1.16 per episode.
And that's if you buy at retail price. I'm sure most of us will be able to find it at a much lower price. Plus they stress there will be extras included, and all shorts are restored. If done right, this is a dream come true for many classic animation fans!

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Having been turned down for the survey, I will give my view for anyone from Warner Bros reading this.

I am a 25 year old from New Zealand - no kids. I am not a collector of Looney Tunes memorabilia, but I am a DVD collector. I have loved Looney Tunes cartoons since a kid. I will definitely buy LT on DVD. I would urge Warner Bros to look at the Walt Disney Treasures line for a model of how to do the release properly.

It is absolutely essential that the shorts be uncut and restored. If we need introductions to shorts that may be 'offensive' to modern eyes, like the Disney Treasures have with Leonard Maltin, so be it, as long as the shorts are UNCUT.

A compilation would be okay, but my strong preference would be to have releases based around each character from a particular time period or animator, like the WDT with Mickey in B&W, Mickey in Colour. COnsider the number of shorts on a disc. At 8 minutes per short, you should easily be able to get at least 20 shorts (2 1/2 hours) - the WDT Goofy managed to get even more on each disc. Include a Play All feature.

And above all, treat the consumer with respect. Don't try to rip us off with overpriced inferior products. I personally am buying discs in the WDT series that I don't necessarily have a lot of interest in, simply because I appreciate the quality of these superior releases, I want to support them, and I know that the releases are so good that I will find value even in the discs that may not immediately excite me. If the Looney Tunes discs are good quality, I will buy titles I might not normally buy. If they're low quality, I don't care what shorts you put on the disc, I will not buy it.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
After answering a few questions about my age and gender and if I collected stuffed animals and cookie jars, I got a message telling me that, thanks but we already have enough surveys of people of your ilk so fuck off, but not in those words.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Same as Larry. They're obviously not looking for a large sample. :thumbsdown: Warners.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks