What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 5 (1 Viewer)

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
But, a Director's Cut of a film is also filled with "cuts, edits, overdubbing, and would cease to be the same film." I'm in no way saying that it should then automatically be placed in the TV section (obviously not), I'm just saying that by definition of what we've been talking about, some things don't fall into a specific category very easily. Especially, something like this. I assure you that if someone had first placed this in the film section and someone else had then complained that it should be in the TV section, I would find the argument just as silly. Sometimes, there is no exact place for certain topics to be placed, and most people would not consider these to be "Films or Documentaries" (keeping in mind that the category does not say "Theatrical Releases on DVD"), so maybe it could fit into either. Trust me, if there was an animation section, then it would be no argument, but there's not, so there's no reason to worry about semantics. I am definitely not saying that it belongs with TV, just that there is no clear cut answer, so it's a useless thing to debate.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

I never saw Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls in theaters when it was originally released, but TBS seems to play it once a month. In my eyes, does that make it a TV product? Hell, no.

What passed for WB cartoons on television (especially in the last 10 years) is in no way representative of their original theatrical release. The scissors of the censors should make that abundantly clear. The 60's and 70's syndicated losses of original MM and LT openings by AAP, Sunset Productions and WB/7A are other butcher jobs. And don't get me started on the color redraws of b&w LT's, just so they could be sold for color television. Looking at those cartoons is an embarrassment.

These are theatrical product, and just like the Little Rascals, Laurel & Hardy, and Three Stooges shorts, they found their way to television. It was cheap programming, just like today's so-called "reality television". Bean counters loved it.

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator

But, the category says "Film and Documentary", not "Theatrical Product", so it's still a grey area... Does that mean that any television show that serves as a documentary or was shot on film should be placed in that section?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

Why would I be joking? It's a 90 minute TV documentary that has been released as single DVD. Now it's being included in this collection. This is a case of a TV Show being included with this collection of theatrical shorts. I liked it when I caught most of it on PBS and would buy it solo if it wasn't part of this upcoming boxset.

I'm confused though - are you a moderator for this board? If you aren't, why don't you just PM a moderator about this thread that offends you?

"These are theatrical product, and just like the Little Rascals, Laurel & Hardy, and Three Stooges shorts, they found their way to television. It was cheap programming, just like today's so-called "reality television". Bean counters loved it."

The Stooges and Little Rascals weren't that cheap of programming after the ratings showed that they dominated the ratings in major markets. Plus they used to have kiddie hosts doing live shows between the shorts and cartoons. There was production cost involved in running these shows. They weren't freebie programming like today's Boomerang Channel.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
You know what's sad? Before I even clicked the link to this thread, I KNEW that this debate would once again be in full motion. Hell, it's happened the past 4 years in a row. If you really want to surprise me, lay it to rest with the announcement of volume 6 next year. No offense guys, but it's REALLY getting old.

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, Andrew, I agree with you 100%. That was the point of my original post. I realize now that by trying to make the post asking for this NOT to become a debate yet again, I actually fueled it. My dumb mistake, but, we were only 10 or so posts in and someone was already trying not to "scream in terror" about it, so I thought maybe I could squash it... Like I said, I have not been arguing for or against the correct placement of the topic, but rather against complaining about it...

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

I agree these should be in Film and not Television, but that statement is incorrect.

Coincidentally, on YouTube, I just watched a clip of when Farnsworth went on "I've Got a Secret," and then I Googled him, and he got the idea for electronic television in the early 1920s (when he was a teenager!) He demonstrated it in 1928, and it was ready to go (in fact, some very wealthy people had televisions in their homes by 1929, although there wasn't anything to watch on them!) The Depression put a stop to further plans to mass market them, but in any case, television predates the first Looney Tune.

This topic belongs in Film, and not Television, because the cartoons were theatrical films -- that's the only necessary (and definitive) argument. It's not necessary to drag Farnsworth into this. :)

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Believe it or not I was hoping to avoid the annual debate too. As I mentioned earlier, I assumed that there would be no debate since the forum administration made a ruling on this when Popeye was announced. I am not a moderator here, and see now that I should have just PM'ed to let them know about the mistake. I'll do my part to end the debate here and now, and I'll reiterate my desire for the mods to remove all references to this debate if and when the four threads on this collection are merged. My tongue-in-cheek comment about "screaming in terror" was in reference to the "Oh, brother -- not again" reaction I had when I saw where this thread was posted. Any actual indignation about the Looney Tunes didn't come about until the debate kicked in to full gear again. I suppose when it comes right down to it though, I don't give a shit. I think that they are obviously films, others don't. I can live with that. Moving on...

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
You're right I should have said cartoons, not Looney Tunes specifically. Sinkin' in the Bathtub didn't come about until 1930, the year after televisions (sans programming) appeared in a few homes.

My humble apologies to the family of Mr. Farnsworth. :)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

As I pointed out - The Chuck Jones PBS special is out on DVD at this moment. You can buy it on Amazon for $13. It is a TV show on DVD. Now it is being released as part of this package. I'm not dealing with what ifs and a TV special that only exists on DVD because it is soley being packaged as a bonus feature.

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
Good points all, Jeff. I agree that the debate can end here and all references will hopefully be removed once the threads are merged. Hopefully, nothing I said was taken personally or as an attack. It genuinely felt like a good debate, with correct points made on both sides, so I actually felt the need to continue. I normally wouldn't keep going on something like this (and, in fact, never participated the 4 previous years), but I felt like we had intelligent dialogue going on back and forth. So, once again, thanks for the input and the conversation and my final word is "BRING ON VOLUMES SIX AND BEYOND" (oh, and please give us a Disc devoted to Foghorn Leghorn!)

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Say, while you folks continue to have this stupid and pointless argument about whether 7-minute cartoons are actually movies (which they aren't) I'll actually be enjoying this kick-ass box set. Too bad so many of you are missing the real issue here.

I'm glad they're devoting an entire disc to Bugs & Daffy as their pairings are usually killer. And I'm still waiting for an entire disc devoted to Foghorn Leghorn. Most of his shorts would fit nicely onto one disc. So where's the Foghorn love, folks ?

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with you whole heartedly David about everyone's favorite rooster - see my post above:

BRING ON THE FOGHORN!!!

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I agree regarding Foghorn Leghorn. I had a VHS tape years ago devoted to ol' Foghorn and it was great fun to watch. I'd love to see an entire disc devoted to him. I get excited every time these Golden Collections get released. I watch my existing sets over and over, and it's just great to know there will be another 60 shorts coming! I hope they don't stop releasing these until ALL shorts are made available. Now THAT would be something worth showing off on the DVD shelf. :)

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

Very well, a different example then. The History Channel's "Modern Marvels: Howard Hughes" is available on DVD at this moment at Amazon for $25. It was later included on disc two of The Aviator. Therefore, The Aviator is now a TV Show on DVD?

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Now I know we have to many of these threads. I reply in one Looney Tunes thread, and my post turns up in a different one. Weird!

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
TV Shows in the most literal sense are programs that are created to be shown on television first and foremost. the WB cartoons were created to be shown before the Feature films and were never expected to be shown on televsion.

These reason that the cartoons were shown on TV in the first place was because selling a number of them to a.a.p. and others provided Warner with some quid after the ruinous Paramount decrees. Then WB saw the value of creating a Bugs Bunny show with what they had left.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Can't wait for this. I am hoping for Coal Black as well. How long until the actual contents are revealed?

Suggestion about the argument:

Create a third forum for Theatrical Short Subjects on DVD that were shown on television in such a manner so as to convince a great amount of the populace that they were TV shows or just Theatrical Short Subjects on DVD. Place all topics about Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Pink Panther, Woody Woodpecker, Betty Boop, Flip the Frog, Bobby Bumps, Out of the Inkwell, Heckle & Jeckle, Popeye, Casper, Three Stooges, Charley Chase, Andy Clyde, Our Gang and other shorts in this forum. Also sticky a thread about bonus shorts featured on other DVDs of feature length films.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Love your idea for that third forum Tory, but I dont think itll happen. In the meantime do what I did, sign up over at gac forums,they are experts on classic cartoons. Im known as mighty mouse over there, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks