What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol 3 (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Personally, I was hoping for the "HAN-sel and Gretel" cartoon with Witch Hazel and Bugs ("Why aren't the children in school?"), but I am more than pleased with this set. :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
www.cartoonbrew.com lists some of the extra features (NOT all of them):

- "Philbert" TV pilot
- 3 Snafu's (Spies, Gas, and Rumors)
- Point Rationing of Foods (wartime short)
- The Bear that Wasn't (1967 MGM Chuck Jones cartoon)
- The Bugs Bunny Show (Episode: "The Honeymousers")
- Storyboards for Falling Hare and Porky's Party
- Bonus cartoons: Sinkin' in the Bathtub and It's Got Me Again (First Looney Tune, first Oscar nominee respectively)

The following documentaries:
- Frank Tashlin
- B&W Cartoons
- The Restorations
- Pepe Le Pew
- The "Hunters" Trilogy
- Looney Tunes Go to War
- Birds Anonymous featurette

Audio commentaries:

Porky Pig's Feat - Joe Dante
Wakiki Wabbit - John K. and Eddie Fitzgerald
Porky's Party - John K.
A Gruesome Twosome - John K. and Milt Gray
An Itch in Time - John K.
Falling Hare - Bill Melendez and John K.
Robin Hood Daffy - Eric Goldberg
Duck! Rabbit! Duck! - Eric Goldberg
Pigs in a Polka - Daniel Goldmark
Swooner Crooner - Daniel Goldmark
Super Rabbit - Paul Dini
Rocket Squad - Paul Dini
Hare Remover - Greg Ford
Hare Tonic - Greg Ford
Hare Grows in Manhattan - Greg Ford
Daffy Duck in Hollywood - Greg Ford
She Was an Acrobat's Daughter - Greg Ford
Porky's Romance - Mark Kausler
Bowery Bugs - Michael Barrier
Hillbilly Hare - Michael Barrier
The Coo-Coo Nut Grove - Michael Barrier
Odor-Able Kitty - Michael Barrier
Walky Talky Hawky - Michael Barrier
Claws for Alarm - Eddie Fitzgerald
The Honeymousers - June Foray
Hollywood Capers - Jerry Beck and Martha Sigall
The Wabbit Who Came to Supper - Jerry Beck and Martha Sigall
Birds Anonymous - Jerry Beck and Art Leonardi
Gonzales Tamales - Jerry Beck and Art Leonardi
I Haven't Got a Hat - Jerry Beck
Philbert - Jerry Beck, Art Leonardi, and Trustin Howard

As for stuff not known, there's 3 more bonus cartoons to be revealed, 2 more documentaries, two more commentary (granted that "Philbert" doesn't count as one of the 32), and the 11 cartoons with music-only tracks.

Three more unknown bonus cartoons? Then there must be a good chance Coal Black will be one of them. I'm thinking that it is. Remember the disclaimer.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Given the inclusion of the Snafu cartoons, and something called Looney Tunes Goes to War, I'd give a higher probability to Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips, but I'm not holding my breath for either of them.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

That's what I was thinking also (Nips the Nips). It would go along with the wartime theme of the other features. Still, I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm buying this regardless. The first two sets were wonderful.

Steve

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

There's never enough Bugs...that's what I say...In fact, if they want to make volume 4 entirely Bugs...I'll be first in line to buy it!

Ben_D

Agent
All I can say is, twelve discs over three years and still no room for "Hare Trigger" or "Racketeer Rabbit"? What did I do to WB that they consistently leave off my favorites?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Here's an approximate (and wildly inaccurate) list of how many cartoons some of the major players appear in:

Bugs Bunny (solo): 165
Bugs Bunny & Daffy Duck (duo): 28
Daffy Duck (solo): 55
Daffy Duck & Porky Pig (duo): 46
Daffy Duck & Speedy Gonzales (duo): 26
Porky Pig (solo): 115
Foghorn Leghorn: 33
Sylvester & Tweety (duo): 46
Sylvester (solo): 60
Miscellaneous (Buddy, Bosco, Elmer Fudd solo, etc): 440

That's over 1,000 glorious cartoons not including characters that I did not list. Enough shorts to fill up at least SEVENTEEN volumes. There are more than enough for the major characters and certain pairings (Bugs & Daffy, etc) to have multiple discs devoted to them. A couple of discs each devoted to Foghorn & the Daffy / Speedy pairing would be able to give us most of those in a clean, organized way.

For more accurate info surf over to the Big Cartoon Database. Keep those box sets coming and that WON'T be all, folks !

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I have the first two sets and I will be getting this as well. We finally get Robin Hood Daffy. YEAH! I've been waiting for that one for a while now. Also, Rebel Rabbit! That has always been one of my all time favorite Buggs. There is still one Buggs and Daffy cartoon that I want. It's the one where Daffy takes Buggs to a TV studio to collect a prize money for the first rabbit. Great cartoon.

I have to say that yes, we do need more Speedy, Foghorn and Peppe. I love Peppe LePew. We also have a few more Marvin the Martian cartoons to be released on these sets. Marvin is always fun. 'Run for the hills folks or you'll be up to your armpits in Martians!' There's still too much fun left to be released. Can't wait for the next 15 or so releases.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
There are some characters that I don't care for but I agree that we need at least one disc devoted to Foghorn. He has more than enough shorts to fill one up. And he's always been an underrated delight.

No, that's one where Bugs and Daffy both compete for a millon-dollar prize. The "thousand bucks for the first rabbit" cartoon is People are Bunny (1959), also directed by McKimson.

Michael

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Thanks! Love that cartoon. Bugs rolling his eyes at Daffy and saying 'Oh, boy' is priceless.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
The box contains the following disclaimer: "The Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 3 Is Intended for the Adult Collector and May Not Be Suitable for Children."

Now i have seen a lot of back and forth about the items on the last two disc, and the the first ones are top loaded, well the last two are what is going to be more family friendly and done in the spotlight collection, it's nice to see that they understand that adults are buying the GC's, who knows in time maybe we will get WB to hide an easter egg of the porky pig "sob" blooper, i know it was never released to the public.
but then again, neither was the Snafu's, and the fact that WB is finally releasing them with the rest is just a treat, love the idea for a war time collection, maybe Volume 4, the not 4F Collection ??

the biggest problem with all of this is the same problem that Disney is going to have to deal with later, do we rewrite history, and say that certain things were never made, or do we accept the fact that it was done, this is the artistic merit, and learn from it. If given the chance i think that most would rather see it as it was intended.

Please WB if you are listening continue the great work, and hope to see the four hook cartoons at some point.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Besides the obvious COAL BLACK AND DE SEBBEN DWARVES, the other one I want restored on DVD is TIN PAN ALLEY CATS, a wonderfully surreal short, which I actually consider superior to COAL BLACK. I've got 'em both on VHS, transferred by a collector from faded 16mm prints out of his personal collection.

Can anyone else here show some love for TIN PAN ALLEY CATS?

Also, two of my fave WB characters are Lefty & Mugsy, the eternally bumbling gangsters. I don't know the names of any of the shorts that they're in, so can anyone tell me if they appear anywhere in these first three sets?

Also also, one of the funniest 'toons I've ever seen is the one where Daffy and Porky run a baby delivery service with a bunch of storks. It was years and years ago that I saw it, so I remember hardly anything about it except that I practically died laughing. What's the name of this one, and is it included within the first three sets? And can anyone remind me of some of the comic highlights of it?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I know this is off topic, but i still feel slighted, was kind of upset about the first tom and jerry collection, if WB really wanted to do this for those of us that are collecting the gold collection, then i think that they could do something like "The M-G-M Gold Collection" , Make it chronological, and i wouldn't care if they took a year to remaster it all them it's self, this is a treasure trove, 315 shorts, all uncut, now lets see , normally about 60 shorts per set, and with 315 cartoon shorts, from M-G-M that equates to about 5 gold sets that way, and we get droopy, barney bear, Tex Avery, it's a no brainier, that these would sell, we as a collective got the tunes released the correct way, lets see that the rest are treated just as fairly, and not as stepchildren

Uncertian how the WB ultra high resulution proocess works, with out the original source material, but if it could help the older ones with out the negatives, that would need to happen; also if you go crono, then the Cinmascope be presented with out bouncing around on the disc.

I hope to get some kind of feed back on this, i have little doubt that woody, or terry toons will ever see the light of day correctly, but this is one that needs to be pushed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks