What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol 3 (1 Viewer)

Again, like someone else pointed out, news on Looney Tunes is posted at TVShowsOnDVD.com before anyone else. Therefore, there shouldn't be a problem posting about this here. If you don't like the thread, which the title makes it clear what the thread is all about, ignore it. Is it important enough to try to correct us anyway?

Back on topic, I can't wait for this set! I got the first two the last two Christmas's that they came out. Now I'm getting another Tunes set for the 3rd Christmas in a row this year. :-D

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
If it wasn't for television, these shorts would be long dead like most other shorts. For decades now, shorts haven't been packaged with movies commercially. In any sort of TV Guide, shorts aren't listed seperately even when they are played on stations like TCM. I don't understand the need or desire to embrace their roots in film when if it was up to the studios, animation would have died a long time ago.

Paul

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well there's arguments on both sides for tv vs. film. Most of these were originally shown theatrically, though they're really not films, they're animated shorts (the other forum is called film & documentaries, not 'things originally seen theatrically'). Most of these were seen on tv, but with the exception of the later ones, weren't originally done for tv, so they're not really tv shows either. But the bottom line - who cares where this gets posted, it's good news to see another strong collection being released. I can certainly nitpick the collection myself (I think it's too heavy on 30s cartoons, and missing the real gems (controversial shorts), and short on my favorite characters) but it's still a great, great release, and I'm happy to read about it in whatever forum.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I have a question about the Looney Tunes Movie Collection: If The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie is the first (if it is) and Bugs Bunny's 3rd Movie: 1001 Rabbit Tales is the 3rd, what is the second/other movie?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I believe that was... The Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie!

As for TV vs Movie section... Who cares, you found it didn't you?

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
:emoji_thumbsup:

Let's just stick to the upcoming DVD release and the content. It seems everytime the Golden Collection is released there's a bigger discussion about whether it should be on the Film or TV forum. Enough is enough.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Let's cease with the insulting rhetoric. Thank you.

Regarding which area of the forum this thread should be located, it's perfectly fine right here. Now, let's continue the discussion about this dvd release's content.

Crawdaddy

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

Now why on earth would they have the first and third, but not the second? I'll admit it's a great idea to issue a Looney Tunes movie collection, but why was the 2nd film omitted?

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
The two shorts I am really looking forward to are The House That Jack Built and the Honey Mousers. I've been waiting for those since these Golden Collections started coming out.

Paul

David Galindo

Screenwriter
I think the "Hooray for Hollywood" disc is a bit redundant since we got a bit of that in the second collection. But man, more Daffy is fantastic! :D

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Interesting list-I'm not actually sure if I've seen any of the shorts on there (maybe one or two of them, but certainly not as many as on the other sets). Still undecided on this set though-I've already got a pile of Looney Tunes with the first two sets, and I think those include almost all of the shorts that I really really wanted. If I end up buying this one, it'll just be out of curiosity to see some of the older shorts that I've never seen before.

Still, glad to see that WB is following through on releasing more of these, but I wonder how sales of this collection will compare to volumes 1 and 2.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
There's still a handful of shorts on my "must-have" list. Only one of them is on this set, but this certainly won't stop me from buying it. Boy, I can't wait to discover a whole new batch of great shorts that I've never even seen before.

I do, however, think Warner shouldn't center an entire disc around Porky Pig who's already had a decent output on the previous 2 volumes. Instead they should have gone for Foghorn Leghorn, Speedy or Pepe LePew (not much a fan of the latter, but many people are). So far, each of these had only one short released, and volume 3 isn't going to up that number much.

Apart from that: Can't wait!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

I like the Porky and the Pigs theme. Porky Pig was Warner's first and longest-running cartoon star and probably made more appearances than any other. All of WB's major cartoon directors made shorts featuring him, and the character's gradual evolution over 30 years reflects the development of the studio's style and humour. The non-Porkys on this disc add more variety, but the Porky shorts are already varied enough (more so than Pepe, Foghorn or Speedy, whose films I also love).

Aside from the terrible cover (where are Bugs's teeth?), this looks as though it will be a great set, especially since Warner have found a way of designating this a collectors' set with pack warnings and intros.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I have Bugs and Daffy's Wartimes cartoons on VHS and was wondering if any of those cartoons will be making it to a DVD. I know most of them aren't played on TV anymore.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie was the video title. Also, the running time listed is 98 minutes on imdb.

Who knows? I guess we'll find out when it comes out.

Weren't the movies just a compilation of shorts tied together through a story? If so, it seems to be a waste of money if you are going to get all the shorts on dvd anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks