What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection 2 - List of cartoons (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Looney Tunes are not films?
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

I was wondering the same thing myself :confused:

Films and Documentaries have both short and full length features as designated by the Academy of Motion Pictures. Looney Toons are short Features and a couple of them have won Oscars as "Short Film Features". I guess we should write the Academy and have these awards revoked and reissued as Emmy's since we have changed the Looney Toons to a TV Show.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

I was wondering the same thing myself :confused:

Films and Documentaries have both short and full length features as designated by the Academy of Motion Pictures. Looney Toons are short Features and a couple of them have won Oscars as "Short Film Features". I guess we should write the Academy and have these awards revoked and reissued as Emmy's since we have changed the Looney Toons to a TV Show.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to appologize to all the people I've offended by posting this in the TV forum.

The difference is that these weren't repurposed as TV shows, whereas the Looney Tunes shorts were.

Gord

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to appologize to all the people I've offended by posting this in the TV forum.

The difference is that these weren't repurposed as TV shows, whereas the Looney Tunes shorts were.

Gord

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Has anyone ever seen a weekly television guide of any nature which lists the Looney Tunes shorts as movies?

Looney Tunes would be as dead as all of the other shorts features before movies if it wasn't for how television repackaged them. Animated shorts shown originally in the theaters are now a television product regardless of where they started out. Movies reshown on television aren't comparable because their medium of seeing them in the theaters hasn't died, while the medium for shorts have which is why they went to television where they created their legacy.

Most of the shorts nominated by the Academy these days are created to be nominated by the academy. It is a complete and utter farce and while I love animation, the shorts of today aren't created in the same spirit of the old category.

Paul

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Has anyone ever seen a weekly television guide of any nature which lists the Looney Tunes shorts as movies?

Looney Tunes would be as dead as all of the other shorts features before movies if it wasn't for how television repackaged them. Animated shorts shown originally in the theaters are now a television product regardless of where they started out. Movies reshown on television aren't comparable because their medium of seeing them in the theaters hasn't died, while the medium for shorts have which is why they went to television where they created their legacy.

Most of the shorts nominated by the Academy these days are created to be nominated by the academy. It is a complete and utter farce and while I love animation, the shorts of today aren't created in the same spirit of the old category.

Paul

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
If a Looney Tunes cartoon short is a 'film', then I'm a bit confused as to the definition of a film. It would appear that people want to define a film as anything that was originally released theaterically. But if that's the case, there are some Coke commericials now playing exclusively in theaters that are films.

I always put the cartoons in the same category as trailers, newsreels and other non-features that played originally in theaters. But I guess those trailers are actually films. :) Sorry for my ignorance. :b

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
If a Looney Tunes cartoon short is a 'film', then I'm a bit confused as to the definition of a film. It would appear that people want to define a film as anything that was originally released theaterically. But if that's the case, there are some Coke commericials now playing exclusively in theaters that are films.

I always put the cartoons in the same category as trailers, newsreels and other non-features that played originally in theaters. But I guess those trailers are actually films. :) Sorry for my ignorance. :b

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I know this might run counter to my last post in this thread, but....

The Looney Tunes shorts are absolutely "films"!

Since when is only a 'feature-length' considered a film??

Yeah, they're only 5 minutes long...but they're absolutely "FILMS"!

A trailer is not a film; it's marketing.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I know this might run counter to my last post in this thread, but....

The Looney Tunes shorts are absolutely "films"!

Since when is only a 'feature-length' considered a film??

Yeah, they're only 5 minutes long...but they're absolutely "FILMS"!

A trailer is not a film; it's marketing.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Technically, they are films. No question about it. The fact that they were re-editted and packaged into the Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner show is irrelevant.

The Three Stooges shorts are films. They too were repackaged into a TV show at one time. Irrelevant...they are films.

Since we are being presented the original presentations as shown in the theater, then these should be in the other section. The edict of this forum would demand it, I would say.

That said, it really doesn't bother me and I wouldn't have said anything ... but this thread started it :)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Technically, they are films. No question about it. The fact that they were re-editted and packaged into the Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner show is irrelevant.

The Three Stooges shorts are films. They too were repackaged into a TV show at one time. Irrelevant...they are films.

Since we are being presented the original presentations as shown in the theater, then these should be in the other section. The edict of this forum would demand it, I would say.

That said, it really doesn't bother me and I wouldn't have said anything ... but this thread started it :)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

I can't recall if these are in any of the Golden Collections but:
I know there are a few on The Marx Bros. Collection, The Daffy Doc on Room Service/ At the Circus(box set exclusive), Bugs Bunny in the Looney Tunes cartoon classic Acrobatty Bunny on A Night in Casablanca plus the set includes the animated MGM shorts Gallopin' Gals,Jitterbug Follies,The Milky Way, Officer Pooch, Mama's New Hat and Old Smokey.

In the Warner Legends Collection the previously mentioned Adventures of Robin Hood cartoon has Katnip Kollege,Rabbit Hood, and Robin Hood Daffy. Treasure of Sierra Madre has Hot Cross Bunny and 8 Ball Bunny. Yankee Doodle Dandy has Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid, Yankee Doodle Daffy, and Yankee Doodle Bugs.
From The Cary Grant Signature Collection, Night and Day has Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd in “The Big Snooze” a classic Looney Tunes cartoon plus the set has a the Tex Avery MGM shorts Little Tinker and The House of Tomorrow.
Also Casablanca 2-Disc has a 1995 short called Carrotblanca.

There are some others I think but that is all I recall.

Did tvshowsondvd do a story on the Walt Disney Treasures shorts collection, they too were on television in assorted packages through the years. If you ever decide to please highlight the Ultimate Disney Treasure Chest found only at costco as I still hear people complain about the first 7 being OOP and this does include Davey Crockett.

This topic belongs in both IMO, these are films, but due to presentation over the decades, they were presented as a TV show on a weekly and daily basis rather than a random encounter. If The Wonderful World of Disney was released in a box sets that would present a lot of feature films, would that be considered a TV series too though?

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

I can't recall if these are in any of the Golden Collections but:
I know there are a few on The Marx Bros. Collection, The Daffy Doc on Room Service/ At the Circus(box set exclusive), Bugs Bunny in the Looney Tunes cartoon classic Acrobatty Bunny on A Night in Casablanca plus the set includes the animated MGM shorts Gallopin' Gals,Jitterbug Follies,The Milky Way, Officer Pooch, Mama's New Hat and Old Smokey.

In the Warner Legends Collection the previously mentioned Adventures of Robin Hood cartoon has Katnip Kollege,Rabbit Hood, and Robin Hood Daffy. Treasure of Sierra Madre has Hot Cross Bunny and 8 Ball Bunny. Yankee Doodle Dandy has Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid, Yankee Doodle Daffy, and Yankee Doodle Bugs.
From The Cary Grant Signature Collection, Night and Day has Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd in “The Big Snooze” a classic Looney Tunes cartoon plus the set has a the Tex Avery MGM shorts Little Tinker and The House of Tomorrow.
Also Casablanca 2-Disc has a 1995 short called Carrotblanca.

There are some others I think but that is all I recall.

Did tvshowsondvd do a story on the Walt Disney Treasures shorts collection, they too were on television in assorted packages through the years. If you ever decide to please highlight the Ultimate Disney Treasure Chest found only at costco as I still hear people complain about the first 7 being OOP and this does include Davey Crockett.

This topic belongs in both IMO, these are films, but due to presentation over the decades, they were presented as a TV show on a weekly and daily basis rather than a random encounter. If The Wonderful World of Disney was released in a box sets that would present a lot of feature films, would that be considered a TV series too though?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks