What's new

Looney Tunes Censored 11 comes to Warner Archive in 2011! (1 Viewer)

monks19

Auditioning
Real Name
Michel Rivest
Hi, does anybody new when the "Censored Eleven" is going to be released ? There hasn't been news for quite a while now...
Thanks to answer

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
According to Warner Archive nothing is being done at this time to release these cartoons. It is not on the radar for the foreseeable future.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The censored 11 DVD release is nothing more then a bad internet rumour started from a few off the cuff remarks. There was never an official announcement or confirmation of this release from Warners. So as Greg said its not even on Warners radar at this time.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Greg Chenoweth said:
According to Warner Archive nothing is being done at this time to release these cartoons. It is not on the radar for the foreseeable future.
I looked on the Archive Facebook page and I didn't see anything like this. Where did you get this?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001 /t/304867/looney-tunes-censored-11-comes-to-warner-archive-in-2011/60#post_3893329
So you're saying Jerry Beck is a lying, heartless scumbag?

CLEARLY that is EXACTLY what he was saying! Oh internet forums, how hilariously irrational you can be.

How about:

Don't believe a rumor until you see a press release? Then kind of believe it until the item is actually in your hands, Then you can absolutely believe it.

We're not all noobs here are we that we still don't get how this stuff works?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
From the sources we were hearing it from, I always believed that Warner was serious about this. I think that George Feltenstein even said at last summer's comic con that they were still working on it. Given the nature of the material, I always thought it was likely that it would get killed before official release. At this point, I don't know. That's why I looked on the Archive fbook page, but I could not find anything about it. I don't know if the fact that it was not released in 2011 says anything definite at all.

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
vnisanian2001 said:
So you're saying Jerry Beck is a lying, heartless scumbag?
No I wasn't saying that. I was being facetious. Jerry Beck is usually right about things.
CLEARLY that is EXACTLY what he was saying!
Sorry! You're wrong about that.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Back in the summer, WAC did post on their Facebook page that the 11 Censored Cartoons were being considered and looked at. It was much more than an Internet rumor. Now since that time, there may have been some more discussion and it was decided to hold back on the release since WAC says it is not on the radar. I think at the time George Feltenstein made the comment, they were testing the waters on the viability of the release. Several newspapers, including USA Today picked up on the story and reported that the cartoons were coming out.

I don't really think that the issue is dead and I do think there will be a release. Since the cartoons have not had any real release in years, the elements also may need more work on them than realized. WAC has used "not on the radar for the foreseeable future" many times and whatever they are talking about comes out in about six months or so. But I will admit that they are not as forthcoming with information as they are on other possible releases and they did not say no how, no way as they have with the movie THE DEVILS.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
ahollis said:
Now since that time, there may have been some more discussion and it was decided to hold back on the release since WAC says it is not on the radar.  I think at the time George Feltenstein made the comment, they were testing the waters on the viability of the release. 
Do you have a link for this?

DaveK

Second Unit
Any Updates?
I think they should release The Censored Eleven, and other questionable cartoons that could've made the list.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Holding back a Cartoon, Movie or TV Series and not allowing people to see it because some consider it "Politically Correct" only makes people curious as to what's causing all the fuss.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Mike*SC said:
I'll believe it when I see it.  Have you ever seen "Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs"?  To a modern audience, the racism is ugly and shocking.  Certainly, the film has historical value, but I can't imagine why Warner Bros. would want to expose themselves to the enormous outcry and condemnation that will result.  Sure, some animation buffs demand this, but it would not be a big seller.  
I'm not saying I'd be protesting, because I certainly would not.  I'm just saying, I'd be surprised.
I know that this blog might be commenting on it....

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Corey3rd said:

and there's no interpretation needed to see Jar-Jar Binks and his ilk are black stereotypes. So he gave million bucks to build an MLK memorial - that doesn't remove the stain of Jar-Jar Binks as the bumbling black character who eventually puts the Emperor in power through his stupidity.
It's pretty clear that Jar-Jar and everybody else was manipulated by Palpitine/Sidious to create the Grand Army of The Republic just to keep the war going and to consolidate his power through a series of smokescreens. Jar Jar only acted on the info that he and everybody else was given. As for him creating the situation, the actual death warrant of the Republic and the placing of the Emperor in power was unknowingly started by Padme as Queen Amidala ('If this body is not capable of action, then I call for a vote of "no confidence".)
Here's a great look at the prequel trilogy that correct all of this nonsense: Why I Love The Phantom Menace

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
But Disney has a bat in their belfry over SONG OF THE SOUTH, and they're operating from fear rather than rationality.
I think that The Mouse knows about the power of the 'Net, and the executives know that people of color and women have been angry at them for under-representation of people of color and women in films and TV for a while now, with any release of Song of the South causing big ruckuses that would overshadow the release of the film on DVD. What's been said about why it's not a good film and why a release would be controversial has been noted here:
Disney's twentieth-century re-creation of Harris's frame story is much more heinous than the original. The days on the plantation located in "the United States of Georgia" begin and end with unsupervised blacks singing songs about their wonderful home as much as they march to and from the fields. Disney and company made no attempt to render the music in the style of spirituals and work songs that would have been sung during this era. They provided no indication regarding the status of the blacks on this plantation. Joel Chandler Harris set his stories in the postslavery era, but Disney's version seems to take place during a surreal time when blacks lived on slave quarters on a plantation, worked diligently for no visible reward, and considered Atlanta a viable place for an old black man to set out for.
(Turner, Patricia. Ceramic Uncles and Celluloid Mammies, p. 113. http://xroads.virginia.edu/~MA99/diller/mammy/song/preface.html-I'd also check out the book from which I've take the quote, Ceramic Uncles and Celluloid Mammies: Black Images and Their Influence on Culture)
As a Afro-North American male, I'd say that if Disney wants to release Song Of The South, they will have to release it in a way that would allow it to be used for academic purposes only, or as an MOD title with as little fanfare as possible (keep in mind that there's no guarantee that doing so won't attract any attention.)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Sky Captain said:
I think that The Mouse knows about the power of the 'Net, and the executives know that people of color and women have been angry at them for under-representation of people of color and women in films and TV for a while now, with any release of Song of the South causing big ruckuses that would overshadow the release of the film on DVD. What's been said about why it's not a good film and why a release would be controversial has been noted here:
(Turner, Patricia. Ceramic Uncles and Celluloid Mammies, p. 113. http://xroads.virginia.edu/~MA99/diller/mammy/song/preface.html-I'd also check out the book from which I've take the quote, Ceramic Uncles and Celluloid Mammies: Black Images and Their Influence on Culture)
As a Afro-North American male, I'd say that if Disney wants to release Song Of The South, they will have to release it in a way that would allow it to be used for academic purposes only, or as an MOD title with as little fanfare as possible (keep in mind that there's no guarantee that doing so won't attract any attention.)
Personally, I have thought the way to release it would be through a restarted Walt Disney Treasures line, which has never received as wide distribution or as much marketing as Disney titles like Cinderella. Extras could include discussion of the issues you raise as well as SOTS's pioneering animation. The most reasonable concern about SOTS I have heard is that, following its popularization of the Tar Baby story, some black children were called "tar babies" by other children. I think this was similar to other inane childrens' putdowns like "baby" or "cry baby," but I am sure that because of the added racial dimension, it hurt alot more. Your remarks, although correct, seem to be based on the fact that SOTS is not historically realistic. Well, what movie made in the 1930s to 1950s is historically realistic? Hollywood during that period did not care much for realism. Even with a more recent film like Glory, Denzel Washington's character seems imbued with a post-civil rights era sensibility that is totally out of place in the 1860s. Should that too be buried? Sure, there is an emormous amount of information about mid-19th century race related conditions that is excluded from SOTS. The film also never mentions outhouses or chamber pots. However, I would not be too concerned that someone watching it would think that people who lived then had indoor plumbing.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Maybe we'll see these next year as a 90th anniversary release. Warners is re-booting the Gangster Collections as bluray upgrades, maybe they can do a new Controversial Classics release with these, The Devils, Wonder Bar, and other "troubled" releases.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
Maybe we'll see these next year as a 90th anniversary release. Warners is re-booting the Gangster Collections as bluray upgrades, maybe they can do a new Controversial Classics release with these, The Devils, Wonder Bar, and other "troubled" releases.
Somehow I get the feeling that WB may want to avoid commemorating their 90's anniversary with controversial material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks