What's new

Looks like Maverick will head to DVD... (1 Viewer)

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Using CYBER15 code at Deep Discount today,I just got Maverick Seasons 1&2
for $31.26 shipped.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
bretmaverick2 said:
I think one of these days, when I have far too much time on my hands, I am gonna watch the series beginning to end and make a list of all the towns that they brothers Maverick stop in on their travels.
Bet they all look the same.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Funny comment above!!

As I randomly watch MAVERICK episodes, its easy to see how basic sets are redressed over the course of several episodes. For some reason it strikes me as most obvious when you look at the 'check in' desk at a lot of the hotels the brothers stay at!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I saw today where Maverick the Complete Fourth Season is headed to the Warner Archives with a January 7th release date. Again the price is $49.95. There's no indication as to whether it will be MOD or pressed. It's not currently in the "Replicated Disks" section which makes me think it may be a MOD this time out. As much as I'd like to pre-order I'll hold off until it's clear as to whether or not it's pressed. The image shows it's the "Complete Fourth Season" as does the description *but* the image also shows "Part 1" which hopefully is a mistake with the image. Roger Moore is on the cover for this season release.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It's going to be MOD with a limited number of pressed discs as before since a pure retail pressed release would require several months of advance notice. The "Part 1" I think refers to the fact they will put it in two bundled volumes but one season set.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Funny that the descripton of season 4 doesn't mention another Maverick that debut's that season, although he appears in only TWO episodes - Bart's and Bret's previously unmentioned brother -BRENT.

Just placed my order, though, and am looking forward to my January delivery!!

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
About the MOD v. Pressed discs for season 4 - It doesn't really matter to me. If this is the only way I can get seasons 4 and 5, then I'll take it. I would prefer pressed discs, absolutely, but ....

Plus, I am hoping that Young Maverick and Bret Maverick will make it out next year as well.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
It clearly shows that they are not expecting big sales. Graner is sen as more bankable than Jack Kelly. The series experienced declining ratings after Garner left the show as it lasted one full season and maybe a half season as original episodes with Jack Kelly was alternated with reruns with Garner. I would also suspect that Young Maverick will likely be MOD since it lasted for such a brief time. Bret Maverick is a question mark. The ratings were good enough for a second season but apparently behind the scenes backfighting led to the cancellation.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Unfortunately, demographics killed BRET MAVERICK. It was a top 25 show but pulled in an older skewing audience than NBC wanted at the time.

WB's facebook page definately stated that both YOUNG and BRET would be released after the final season of MAVERICK.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
John Hermes said:
At least it's coming out. More than can be said for a lot of other favorite shows.
It WAS being released. It may be 'streeting' a little earlier, but like most collectors it just means it joins my dust-collecting queue - it doesn't get to my machine any faster. As to sales #s, that's a closely guarded company secret; what isn't a secret is that they now can control the pricing; a WA sale means squidly to those of us not in the 50 states... Hopefully the early run is still pressed, but at a WA premium price.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Season 3 was already on the MOD program so it should come to no surprise to anyone that season 4 would follow the same path. This announcement is no different than how Cheyenne and Sugarfoot or various other MOD titles get released, under little fanfare.

I'm not a fan of having to pay the higher price at release date to better my chances of pressed disks, but at least they still provide pressed disks for those willing to pay a little extra. It is unfortunate that many overseas are limited when dealing with the WBA program directly.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I am just appreciative that WB has committed to releasing seasons 4, 5, Young Maverick and Bret Maverick.

Especially since my local station at the time didn't carry YM. That will be all new material to me!

ANd I ordered as soon as I saw the release hoping that, like with season 3, there is a chance to get pressed discs from the initial run.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Received my Season 4 set today!! Have already watched the first two episodes and completely enjoyed them!!

I feel like poor Jack Kelly got shafted on the packaging on season 4, though. Could he not have been featured on at least ONE of the two cases?? Jack did, after all, stick with the series until the bitter end. I don't get why he isn't featured on the season four package.

That said, I am thrilled to have season four now firmly in my collection.

Looking forward to the release of season FIVE!!!!

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
bretmaverick2 said:
Received my Season 4 set today!! Have already watched the first two episodes and completely enjoyed them!!

I feel like poor Jack Kelly got shafted on the packaging on season 4, though. Could he not have been featured on at least ONE of the two cases?? Jack did, after all, stick with the series until the bitter end. I don't get why he isn't featured on the season four package.

That said, I am thrilled to have season four now firmly in my collection.

Looking forward to the release of season FIVE!!!!

I thought the same thing as you when I first saw the cover.
I know James Garner really made Maverick what it was, but Jack Kelly was good in the show, too. To just ignore his prescence completely is not showing much respect to the actor.
To put it another way, if I were the one doing covers for this, there is no way I would have left Jack Kelly out of the picture.
Still waiting for my season 4 and hoping its pressed. It will be an upgrade from my Encore DVDs.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Yes, Jack Kelly really should have gotten at least one of the Fourth Season covers, but I imagine the Season 5 cover will be all his.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks