What's new

Looks like Maverick will head to DVD... (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
They do release split sets still for more than 6 discs as you mentioned but the model still changed from the pricing point and release structure. The last FBI and Daktari releases as well as Season 1 of Dr. Kildare were all split season but bundled together and still priced at $49.95 so that appears to be the new price point for a full season with more than 20 episodes. The last few seasons of Cheyenne with 13 episodes were priced at $34.95 so that will most likely be the price of Maverick Season 5 as Brad pointed out. Sugarfoot is $39.95 for 20 episodes.
Astairefan said:
I'm not so sure the model has changed. From the impression I am getting, both Tarzan Season 2 and Maverick Season 3 are 6-disc sets, and I THINK the split-season releases have everything to do with disc count. The type of packaging that I have seen with most of my WAC sets has generally been the same type, which seems to hold a MAXIMUM of 6 discs. If the disc count is higher, I would fully expect to see the split-season packaging.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
This is my all time favorite western series. Am gonna place my order TODAY.

I am hoping that sales will warrant continuing on through seasons four and five.

The press release for this season is incorrect, however. 'Bret Maverick' appears in season four in a single episode entitled The Maverick Line. It was actually filmed as the last episode of season three but was held back by Warner Bros.to kick off season four. So, in reality, season four features Bart, Bret, Beau and Brent!!!! And then season five is a shorter season with the only new episodes featuring Bart.

Regardless, I am hoping that this sells well enough through the last two seasons to warrant releases of both YOUNG MAVERICK and BRET MAVERICK.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There are very few must-have series left for me that have not already been released. Maverick is one of them, so I just ordered this set. If I can get FLIPPER season three, Fury and Mayberry RFD, that would just about do it for my 5500-disc collection.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
bretmaverick2 said:
I am hoping that sales will warrant continuing on through seasons four and five.
You needn't worry about that. On the Warner Archive podcast, they assured us that all 5 seasons are coming.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Got my pressed set in the mail today, too. Episodes clock in at 49+ mins. Four episodes per disc on discs 1-4, five episodes per disc on discs 5 and 6.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I placed my order two days ago, but have yet to receive a shipping notification. I hope this doesn't mean that they're already out of pressed discs ...!!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thanks Bob.

It's odd. I got an email confirmation with an order number, but when I go to my account, there is no record of the order. Gonna phone them tomorrow and see what's going on.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
My copy was shipped yesterday and is currently in Windsor, CT. That's only 90 miles from me, but they're saying that I can expect delivery on Wednesday. I guess it is coming by Pony Express (in fairness, there is no mail delivery on Columbus Day).

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Ordered my copy yesterday and got a shipping notification this morning!! Looking forward to this arrival!!!

Regarding packaging: They missed a chance to have a some nice cover art: Season 3 could have featured three Mavericks on the front - Bret, Bart and Pappy. Season Four could have featured four Mavericks that appear in that season - Bret, Bart, cousin Beau, brother Brent. Season Five would only feature Bart, since he is that seasons lone Maverick and it would be a fitting bookend to the DVD collections.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Further, I am wondering that IF they end up releasing YOUNG MAVERICK, would that set include the pilot tv movie that has already had a solo release, NEW MAVERICK? The reason for that would only be to feature three Mavericks on the cover - Bret, Bart and new 'cousin' Ben.

Years ago, I had a three episodes of YOUNG MAVERICK on videotape. Really wasn't a bad show at all. It was actually much more in the spirit of the original series that was BRET MAVERICK. And YM featured some fairly well known guest stars.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Once they sell out of the pressed discs, does the disc come off of the replicated list? If not, is there a way to tell if it is pressed or not?

Maverick becomes a tough call now. As pointed out, there is only one episode in season 4 that has Garner in it. Might have to wait for that to go on sale even if it means getting a MOD set. Season 5 I have no interest in.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
FrancisP said:
Maverick becomes a tough call now. As pointed out, there is only one episode in season 4 that has Garner in it. Might have to wait for that to go on sale even if it means getting a MOD set. Season 5 I have no interest in.
Jack Kelly was half the show and yet people are only interested in the Mavericks with Garner. I don't get it, poor Bart gets no respect. :(

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Mark-P said:
Jack Kelly was half the show and yet people are only interested in the Mavericks with Garner. I don't get it, poor Bart gets no respect. :(
Garner has that whimsy about him, but I think Kelly is just as good a dramatic actor.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
There's a great story about Roy Huggins speaking to Jack Kelly privately and saying that he felt he could be doing better in the part. Kelly was very professional about it and said he wanted to do as well as he could, so would Huggins screen one of his episodes and point out where he could improve? They went to a screening room together one evening and Huggins said he would stop the film and point out the concerns when he saw them...When the closing credits rolled, Huggins had not stopped the film once. He apologized to Kelly and said to keep doing what he was doing. Huggins realized that his only criticism was that Kelly wasn't James Garner, and there wasn't anything he could do about that.I think Kelly was very good and certainly underrated. He didn't have the perfect attitude for it that Garner did, but a) Garner is one of the great talents of the century, b) the scripts were all written with Garner in mind, and c) except for certain rare instances of scheduling necessities, Garner got first choice of scripts.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Not being interested in non-Garner episodes, i think, is odd ESPECIALLY if you were a fan ot the series and not just the actor.

Jack Kelly was excellent as Bart. And in the fourth season, Roger Moore did a strong job as cousin Beau. Now admittedly, perhaps brother Brent wasn't the best idea but you still get a new Garner episode, lots of new Bart and some Beau and Brent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks