What's new

Looks like it will be a Superman/Batman team up movie for 2004... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I found this at the toon zone forum:

Variety has revealed that the much rumored Batman & Superman movie is the front runner for release in 2004. With the second installment of the Scooby-Doo franchise coming as well as Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in 2004, it still leaves three slots open that year for some big budget spectacle movies. Here is what Variety reported:

"Batman and/or Superman": It's been five years since the poorly received "Batman and Robin," and Warners now seems ready to take its superhero responsibilities seriously.

Since then, the studio carefully examined all sorts of permutations for these two superheroes.

In 1997, Warners pulled the plug at the last second on Cage in "Superman," saying the script wasn't quite there. Last year, the studio brought Darren Aronofsky on board to develop "Batman: Year One" with creator Frank Stack.
But the superhero project that has the greatest likelihood of moving forward, Horn now says, is "Batman & Superman," in which the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight join forces against evil. Wolfgang Petersen is attached to produce, develop and possibly direct.

Reni D

Stunt Coordinator
Don't Know whether thats a good idea. The last Batman Movies were so bad and must I remind people of Superman IV this may backfire for WB.
Rather have them make a good Superman Movie

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am hopefull. The reasons being is that 1-They saw what happened to the last Batman movie. 2- They haven't gone through with the horror that was Nic Cage as Supes. & 3-They have seen what good superhero movies(ie-Spiderman/Xmen) can do. As long as they keep Joel Schumacher away from the set. It might be good.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
With Wolfgang Petersen on board, this one might actually turn out to be pretty good. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Didn't Kevin Smith write the script for "Superman Lives" that eventually got shot down because he wouldn't remove a scene? Then when Burton got the project, didn't it not go anywhere?

And didn't they stop making Batman movies because they started to suck?

So why are they making this?

They should get Adam West to make another Batman movie in the same style as the old, old, one. That was a great movie. BAM! WHOP! POW!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It could be cool if they realize they are not Burton and jettison the stylistic approach. Model it on X-Men, Spider-Man or the original Superman and it could be good.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Kevin Smith was long removed from the project before it crumbled. When he did leave it wasn't that he wouldn't remove a certain scene, as he tells it, it's that one of the notes he was given was that the robot/spaceship character should be gay and in love with Superman.

Tim Burton brought on other writers and did a lot of design work, but the suits and him couldn't agree on the direction the project was going.

Recetnly, McG has been attached to the next Superman solo movie. I'm not too crazed about that idea, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Personally I'd like to see Alfred Gough and Miles Millar take a swing at it since they've done an excellent job with Smallville.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Didn't Kevin Smith write the script for "Superman Lives" that eventually got shot down because he wouldn't remove a scene? Then when Burton got the project, didn't it not go anywhere?
I believe the main reason they didn't go with his script was that the overhead would be way too high.

Still, I'm hopeful. Costumes should be interesting... are we gonna have spandex Supes and hard rubber Bats?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
They should just get Frank Miller to adapt his "Dark Knight Returns" for the big screen. We'd have Batman and Superman, just not in the way people expect.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For some reason, the idea of seeing Batman and Superman in a film together would highlight the relative large power disparity between the 2 heroes. It sort of works in the comics, but in the live action version, it could look really silly.
I'd rather see a live action Superman and Wonder Woman film. :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Well since they seem to be going through with this, who will be Superman? I nominate Russell Crowe. He doesn't look like him, but he can kick ass.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big fan of the "relatively unknown guy whom the audience can see as Superman rather than see as 'John Travolta as Superman" idea (and, yeah, Travolta's been rumored). Someone like Paul Gross or maybe Thomas Jane.

ShawnCoghill

Stunt Coordinator
I never bought into seeing Nicky Cage as Superman,I just didnt see a fit..I dunno,,still could have been good though.
Hmm, I wonder if they just simply took the characters more seriously ,and avoid the moronic-filled-idea which was Batman & Robin,if then it would do fine,?. They need to go back to The REAL Dark Knight. and as far as superman they need to just stay away from the Kiddie Superman,and stick with the comics direction.In both they would do A ok if they just stay away from the lampooning.Teamup? I would go with separate films,teamups just seem a bit to compact for 2 main completely separate characters in a 2hour film.Its not like X-Men where they are naturally together.Whatever,just keep Joel far from the film.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
You can have a Supes/Bats movie without the power disparity. Just watch some of the cartoon team ups done by Timm & Dini. They were very good.
Also, I can see Russell Crowe as Batman a lot quicker than Supes. Also, Paul Gross would have been a good choice a few years back. But, he is 43 now. And that is a bit too old for Supes.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
If this is the case, and the Wonder Twins movie is really going forward, then what the hell? Let's have a Justice League of America movie. Bring in Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, and whomever else. Do it right it and it could rock. America could use a Superman/Wonder Woman combo right about now.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Let's see a German and a Superman . . . . Hmmmmm . . . .
Kindly explain this Nazi reference, please.

I think that Superman would make kind of a hokey character in this day and age. I dunno, it just seems like such an old-school thing, second only to Captain America.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks