What's new

Looking to upgrade (1 Viewer)

MarioM

Auditioning
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on upgrading the current system that I have. Its been a long time since I upgraded and most of it was given to me as a present. I am looking more to upgrade the subwoofer and the reciever. Unforutanely I do not have a lot of money so I am looking in the neighborhood of $550 for both pieces. But I will gladly take any upgrade tips on the other pieces as to that will be eventually done.

Current Hardware:

Center:
Infinity Model CC-1

DVD:
Pioneer DV-434

Reciever:
Yamaha HTR-5240

Speakers:
Infinity RS5

Subwoofer:
Cerwin Vega HD-10d (unpowered and no clue what the specs are)

Thanks for the help

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Are you using an external amp to power your sub or are you running it as a passive sub? If it is a passive subwoofer replacing it first will make a big difference in your main speaker performance, as you won’t be drawing power from them any more (this may mean that you can take a bit more time in upgrading your receiver). And even if you are using an external amp to drive your sub, you will see more benefit from an upgrade here than anywhere else.

For me the lowest price point for a decent sub is at about $300. For that you can get something like the Rocket ELT sub. This would leave you $250 for a new receiver. But I think a better approach would be to look at $400 which would get you something like an Adire Rava, or a bit more will put you into the VTF2 class. Any of these options won’t leave enough to get a receiver that is enough better than your current one to make it worth the effort.

Which means that I’d spend $400–$550 and see what is available from Adire ($400), Hsu ($500) or SVS (they begin at about $550). Hsu has a new, smaller model at about $400, but I don't know anything about it.

Then, when you have some more money you can consider a receiver in the $350–$600 range—there are plenty of good ones at this price point.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
You can get alot for your money reciever-wise if you're willing to go the Ebay route. But new recievers are really a $300 minimum investment.

MarioM

Auditioning
My sub is definitely being used as a passive sub. So I will want to get that upgraded first. Any good places to shop? The only thing I have around here is circuit city and best buy. Thanks for the info.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Mario, I highly recommend one of the Internet sub or sub/speaker companies. Hsu, SVS, Adire and AV123 (Rocket) all make products within your budget. They all make subs with which almost anyone would be pleased (for the money spent).

They will also all allow returns within about 30 or so days, if you are not happy with their product. You are only out the shipping.

I suggest that you check one or more of these out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks