What's new

Looking to upgrade: list of HDMI 1.3 Devices? (1 Viewer)

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,

I'm planning on upgrading my HT this summer, and I wanted some advice on which components I should get.

For starters, a little background. Here are the devices I'm currently running:
TV: Samsung TXL-2791F
DVD: Philips DVD727/17 (with region/PAL hack)
A/V Receiver: Sony STR-DE697 (with 7.1 JBL speakers)
PVR: TiVo TCD-648250B (TiVo Series 3 HD)
A/V Switch: Psyclone PSC-01
Game System 1: Microsoft XBox (Component Video, Optical Audio)
Game System 2: Nintendo Wii (Component Video, Stereo Audio)

Basically, I'd like to end up with a setup that uses my TiVo's HDMI output, and upscales DVDs to high-def quality (region-free is a must), and plays one (or both) of the next-gen disc formats. The likely display I'm going to get will be a 1080p DLP (I like Mitsubishi and Samsung's 50" models), but the rest is up for grabs. Is there a list somewhere out there with all the current (and upcoming) devices that use HDMI 1.3?

My dream scenario is everything all hooked up into my receiver, with a sole HDMI cable going from the receiver to my display. Do any of the receivers on the market convert component to HDMI? Otherwise, with this "dream hookup" in mind, I'm out of luck as far as my Wii and XBox are concerned.

Any and all recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

CS

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Most receivers supporting HDMI output will pass component in to their HDMI output. I am setup that way currently. DirecTv H20, Samsumg BD player, Toshiba XA2 in HDMI, 360 in Component, HDMI out to my projector. Works fine. If you are in the market for a new receiver, I would wait until the new receiver with HDI 1.3 support are released later this year.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
I'm definitely planning on getting an HDMI 1.3 receiver, which is why I'm waiting until summertime to upgrade. Will the new receivers be out by then, or do I need to wait until the holiday season? If so, I still want a new TV that will support 1.3 (if that is even an issue), but I want whatever I get on all fronts to be as "future-proof" as possible.

BTW, impressive projector! If I had the need (or the room) I would seriously consider going that way.

CS

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
This is the second Panasonic Projector I have owned. I replaced a PT AE900U with the 100U for the higher lamp output. Very fine projectors, very modestly priced.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

I agree that a TV or a source component may not be a big deal without 1.3, but in reality most people want thier receiver to last them a good 7-10+ years. Unless my receiver totally died, I'd be holding off for another year and wait for the HDMI 1.3 receivers.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Shawn - see this post: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...8&postcount=30

In any case, in 2-3 years time in all likelyhood there will be another new version of HDMI, perhaps HDMI 1.3a or HDMI 1.4. Remember, there's always a new technology right around the corner. All purchases involve a compromise of some sort.

If I were purchasing a $1,200 and up receiver or pre-pro then this may factor into my purchasing decision for future considerations. But for your average consumer who is purchasing a $300-$500 receiver they will not benefit from HDMI 1.3 any time soon.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I totally agree with Thomas on this. Wait. We'll start seeing wider receiver support by the middle to end of the year, and while you may not really "need" the 1.3 spec support it won't hurt to have it either. Especially if all it takes is a few months postponement... why not wait? Thats my plan at least. :D

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hello Craig,

What is your budget ?

Have you looked at Sony's SXRD 1080p HDTV, Panasonic Plasma or Pioneer Elite Plasma?

Are you looking to upgrade or keep your current speakers?

I am not sure any of the HD players are region free on the DVD side. So you may be stuck with your region free DVD player. If you have one with a HDMI output you may want to keep it. There are receivers out there that will upscale video to 1080i or 1080p using its HDMI output. Have you considerd a 1080p front projector, if you are willing to control the amount of light in the room you could end up with a 100"+ screen. You could keep your current tv for watching regular tv and you could hide the screen until you want to watch a movie and it can drop down from the ceiling.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the same boat, waiting for an HDMI 1.3 AVR.

Of the things for me to consider are the following:

- HDMI 1.3
- At least 100 watts per channel
- 4x1 HDMI switching at a minimum
- 1080p/24fps HDMI pass-through
- advanced audio codec decoding
- no LFE issues via 7.1 LPCM

That's quite a list, hopefully I will be able to find something in the 2 - 2.5K price range.

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
I wanted to get the Sony DA5200ES so bad... but its not HDMI 1.3...

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would recommend a non Sony receiver to be honest with you. I was going to give a Sony receiver a chance. Because the amp sections in there receivers where lacking in the past. And I was looking at there two top models and the more I looked into the specifications the less I liked what I saw. I also did not like how they sounded and that was the final straw for Sony. It is never a good sign when a manufacturer rates there amplifier section at a single frequency instead of full bandwidth. There is a good reason when a company does this, it usually means that the amp will not really produce the power they say it will when you actually rate it from 20HZ-20KHz.

Sony STR-DA5200ES 7.1 channel surround sound A/V receiver
Channel Power Rating: 120 Watts X 7 Amplifier Power (8 ohms, 1Khz, 0.7% THD)
Power Consumption (in Operation): 480 W

Denon AVR-4306 7.1 CH Home Theater/MultiMedia A/V Receiver
Power Output (8 Ohm) 130 Watts x 7 (8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.05%)
Power Consumption 960 W Watts In Operation

Marantz SR-8001 7.1 CH Home Theater/MultiMedia A/V Receiver
Power Output (8 Ohm) 125 Watts x 7 (8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.05%)
Power Consumption 780 watts
Even though there is reported problems with the HDMI the amp section is rock solid.

Adcom 5.1 channel surround sound A/V receiver
Power Output (8 Ohm) 145 Watts x 5 (8 ohms, 20 Hz - 50 kHz, THD 0.009%)
Power Consumption 1200 W Watts In Operation Max.

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
The main reason why I like the 5200ES is because it has a Faroudja DCDi scaler that upverts to 1080p HDMI (1080i component). I have a set of Parasound amps so I'm covered there... The only thing it was missing was HDMI 1.3.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Austan,

Even without the weak amp design in the 5200ES in the mix as you mentioned that you have some nice Parasound power amps. The Faroudja scaler in the Sony recievers is said to be sub par. I am a big Faroudja fan and have loved what they have done in the past. But Sony has received poor reviews in the area of the scaler that is in the 5200ES. It is up to you obviously but IMHO the 5200ES is not worth the investment.:frowning:

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
Thanks for the info Dave!!! I'm still waiting for a HDMI 1.3 receiver... I've given up on pre-amps because I cant afford them any more...

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While I agree that an HDMI 1.3 capable receiver is probably the way to go for any future purchase so that one covers all bases, I just want to remind people that even an HDMI 1.1 capable receiver will handle most of your needs if you are concerned about being able to play the latest HD audio codecs. As long as the player does the decoding then an AVR with HDMI 1.1 will accept the output (assuming that the AVR can handle the decoded signals). The only audio situations that require higher than HDMI 1.0 are DVD-A and SACD but I get around that by using a Denon 3806 AVR (HDMI 1.1) and a Denon 2930ci player - connecting the two via DenonLink III for all SACD/DVD-A sound sources.

Don't misunderstand. I'm not saying that it's not a wise thing to wait for HDMI 1.3 AVRS. In fact, the HDMI 1.3 spec will be at the top of my "must have" list when I purchase my next pre/pro. It's just that not having HDMI on my Lexicon MC-8 was really putting a damper on my ability to listen to HD codecs and by purchasing the Denon 3806 as a stopgap until a lot of HDMI 1.3 AVR/pre-pros arrive has exceeded my expectations. I knew that HD video was great. I just wasn't prepared for how great uncompressed audio is with its Megabit bitrates compared to Kilobit bitrates of "normal" 5.1, etc. sources via toslink.

Amazing.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
Here's a question for you experts on receivers that I've been pondering; I'm quite happy with the quality of my Denon AVC A1-SR receiver (AVR-5803 in the US) and have no plans to replace it in the foreseeable future. This limits me in terms of future high-def players - and rules out the PS3 as a Blu-ray player - as I'd have to rely on the player having a built-in decoder, and running leads to the Denon's 7-channel analogue inputs, if I wanted to enjoy lossless sound (which indeed I would want to!).

So, my question is, has anyone heard of there being standalone decoders incorporating HDMI, that would decode formats my player couldn't handle and send analogue 7-channel out to my receiver, in the same way that Dolby Digital decoders used to do for Pro-Logic receivers?

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
I have the same receiver. I too would be interested in a standalone decoder. Short of that, I'm probably going to buy a preamp and use the 5803 as an amplifier. I'd be interested in a more cost effective means of getting PCM from hdmi into my receiver though.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
So, how far away are receivers that can decode the new HD-Formats? I know that many of the HD players on the market now are able to do so, but I'm just curious as to when we can expect receivers with this capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks