What's new

**Looking to Upgrade HT Speakers** Any Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Hey
I am currently looking to upgrade the speakers on my HT. Right now I use the ones that came with the receiver, and they have served me well.I have already purchased a subwoofer for the system. So I am looking for a set of speakers(Front Speakers, Center Speaker, Surround Speakers)to improve upon the ones I have for my system. I currently have it set up in my living room with the speakers placed on the walls (The Center speaker on top of my TV) I have around $100-$300 to spend. Any good ideas where to find some(websites) or how much they cost? I have my components listed below:
TV: Sanyo DS25500 25" MTS Stereo
DVD PLAYER: AIWA XD-DV380
Specs:
- DVD/VCD/CD player with MP3, CD-R, and CD-RW playback
- Optical digital-audio output for Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound
- 10-bit Video D/A converter
- 96KHz/24-bit Audio DAC
- Component and S-video (I use S-Video)
RECEIVER: AIWA AV-D58
Specs:
- 80 Watts x 5.
- DTS/Dolby Digital Decoders.
- 2 Digital Inputs.
- DSP with 5 Presets.
- 5.1 Channel Analog Inputs.

So you say you have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you only have $300 for all 5 speakers, you are not likely to see a significant improvement over the ones you have. HOWEVER, having said that, the JBL NSP-1 package is very decent and in that price range. You can most likely listen to them at a local Best Buy. J&R has them for a good price here, but even Best Buy should have them for around that price.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Don't try to buy all 5 speakers with $300. Buy them seperatly. Spend what you have now on a good set of fronts. I reccommend the Paradigm Titans ($200) or the Paradigm Mini Monitors ($300). You can use your existing speakers for the rear, and run phantom without a center.
I can guarentee you that a good set of fronts will sound better in stereo, than a cheap set of 5 speakers.
I listen to my Paradigm Mini Monitors in Stereo for music, and it sounds like the center is on. Their imaging is amazing. In the end you will have a much better setup.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
$300 for Minis? Not that I've ever seen, unless they were on clearance. Maybe if you find some V2s at a local dealer because the V3s are out now and they are going for $369.
For $400, you could get a pair of Titans and a CC170 center, then get another pair of Titans or Atoms for the rear later.
For mains only, the Axiom M3Ti is slightly better than the Mini Monitor, and can be had for $250 shipped (on their factory outlet). Axiom.
The N24s from the NSP1 set do a decent job, not a spectacular job. The Paradigms and Axioms are noticably better, especially for music.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I 2nd John's recommendation ... the JBL NSP1 (or the new NSP1 Mark II) represents the best budget price HT Set w/overachieving performance - documented by consumers and professional reviewers (subjective & objective) alike. It's particular hallmarks in it's price point;
1) Extremely flat & wide frequency response - outstanding midrange @ it's competitive price point!
JAN 2001 Sound & Vision IN THE LAB by Tom Nousaine
N-24 front left/right... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
N-Center................ 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
N-24 surround........... 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB
S&V Reviewer Daniel Kumin wrote ...
3) said:
For more JBL NSP1 INFO & Reviews w/links, see my web page Why you should add JBL N & S Series to your audition list!.
NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

Brook

Agent
Take a look at the Axioms(www.axiomaudio.com). I heard they were great. I'm buying a set of 5 very soon. Although, as you've heard, $300 is pushing it for good speakers. Go to the factory outlet you might find something close to your price range that is good.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
My opinion would be to get a pair of used speakers, such as nOrh 4.0 (or 3.0 - new $150 pair delivered). New speakers, only go for a pair. Paradigm, PSB, Energy, NHT, and B&W are all excellent and you should be able to get a new pair for that price.

Brook

Agent
Yeah, for $304 you can get the Axiom factory outlet's M1ti(bookshelf) and the factory outlet VP50(center). You will still need surround but it will be a good start. And for about $472 you can't get all five.

Brook

Agent
Hey Jeffrey, where did you get the Axioms M22's as you signature at home theater forum?

I want one! Do you own any of Axioms speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks