What's new

Looking to get a dog.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am looking to get a dog for my family. I have 3 kids (9,6 & 1). My wife was never a dog owner, I was. I am looking for a short hair dog that is medium size. I also want the dog to be easily trained. I will probably get a mutt. But, was curious as to what breeds I should look at. I don't want any little dogs. I was looking at beagles. But, my brother heard they are whiny. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Beagles can be very noisy dogs. (I live next door to a very noisy one and there was a noisy one across the street where I last lived.) They can also be relatively high maintenance. Great dogs, but not the best dog, imo, to get if you have younger children.

If you want a medium-sized short hair, you might look a a mini-Bull Terrier. They can be quite intelligent and are pretty easy to train.

-greg

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Bichon Frise. We have a Bichon, but don't have him all poofy like in the magazines, etc. Very intelligent and easy to train. Great with kids. Can be high-strung sometimes. And the best part is that they don't shed!

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Flat-Coated Retriever. They're like Golden Retrievers, except they're medium sized (instead of large), have shorter hair, and have a sleek black coat. Their hair is not as short as you would probably like, but they have more "cat-like" fur that stays clean, is less oily, and doesn't smell like, say, a Doberman's. They're very sweet-natured, eager to learn and please, and have the intelligence to do just that. Most medium-sized breeds, like Border Collies and other herding dogs, require a lot of attention and even may require a daily "job" to do in order to fulfill their social need to bond with and contribute to the pack's (family's) well-being. Such intelligent, hard-working dogs will need lots of training and will tend to get into trouble if left alone for hours at a time. Not so with the Flat-Coated Retriever. Bred to be a hunting dog, the Flat-Coated Retriever has patience to match its intelligence. Though they're capable of doing more if asked, they happily accept and relish a simpler role as a loyal family companion, and will take as much, or as little, training and attention as you're willing to give. (But give it a lot, anyway.) Finally, I can't think of a gentler medium-sized breed for small children.

But as great as I think Flat-Coated Retrievers are, my strongest recommendation is to pick up a mutt from your local shelter. There's no better dog than a mutt - especially one that will spend the rest of its life thanking you for giving it a home.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Bulldogs are extremely affectionate and good with children. I’m not sure that they are the smartest breed, so training might not be as easy as for some other breeds.

Also they don’t demand a whole lot of exercise other than a few walks so they can make for a good house dog.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
We have a 17lb Cockapoo (Half Cockerspaniel/half Poodle). He's the first dog we've ever had. We got him 3 years ago. He's a great dog. He's got a great temperment, he's smart and has soft, fluffy fur that doesn't shed.

I wasn't big on getting a dog but my 3 sons and wife wanted one. I did a lot of research to find just the right dog. We are all very happy with him. His size is perfect for us at 17-20lbs.

Initially I really didn't want a dog and gave in to my family, but I love this dog now. I never realized how attached they become to the family, actually becoming a member of the family. He greets me every morning, everyday when I get home from work. He snuggles next to my wife every night on the sofa till it's time to go to bed. Then he either spends the night on one of my sons beds or walks into his crate to sleep.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Go to a shelter and adopt an adult dog. I've had great luck doing this. You'll already see how big the dog will be, and how long its hair will get.
Most adult dogs are already house-trained, and the shelter people usually know whether or not the dog is appropriate for a household with children.
You will also be showing your children a good deed, close up and personal. And the dog will be most appreciative.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks