What's new

Looking for the most jaw-dropping DTS-HD MA track on blu... (1 Viewer)

troy evans

Screenwriter
Ray and Lance, you guys crack me up. That is some of the funniest back and forth I've read in awhile. Thank you gentlemen.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Mike, Transporter and Transporter 2, my friend. Some of the best bone crunching audio I've ever heard is on these two releases.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
You're heartily welcome good sir. Eh, it's all in good fun I suppose.;)
DVDCompare.net is a great site for what the OP is searching for. Just type in the title in the search, clickity the Blu-ray version jobby and scroll to the audio.
Interesting fact. Let's use the Blu-ray and HDDVD import for TOTAL RECALL as an example.
  • Bluray ALL America - (Lionsgate Home Entertainment)
  • Extras:
    "Visions Of Mars" featurette (5 mins)
  • Subtitles:
    English and Spanish
  • Aspect Ratio:
    1.85:1
  • Picture Format:
    1080p 24fps
  • Soundtrack(s):
    English DTS-HD High Resolution 6.1 ES
    English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX
  • Case type:
    Amaray (Keep) Case
  • Notes:
    1080p transfer, using MPEG-2 compression. Extras are presented in 480i (NTSC) Standard Definition. Confirmed to be "R0" (packaging states disc is "Region 1" (not "A") only, but can be played in all regions).
  • R0 Australia - (Universal Pictures / Studio Canal)
  • Extras:
    "Studio Canal" Promo trailer
    HD test patterns
  • Subtitles:
    Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Norwegian and Swedish
  • Aspect Ratio:
    1.85:1
  • Picture Format:
    1080p 24fps
  • Soundtrack(s):
    English DTS-HD Master 5.1
    French DTS-HD Hi-Resolution 4.0
    German Dolby Digital 5.1
  • Case type:
    Amaray (Keep) Case
  • Notes:
    1080p transfer, using VC-1 compression.
So in fact although some titles might be Blu exclusive to Region A like I mentioned, they might not be in other countries. And of course, YMMV in this regard. I for one shall be importing the Australian HDDVD as I still have my DVD for the extras. Hell, I need to upgrade my receiver for lossless and lossy audio on the HD formats. Thinking of buying the ONKYO TX-SR705 or higher. Gradual upgradings for me is all good and peachy.:crazy: I haven't even fully researched into it yet.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, pretty much ANY of the Fox titles (they all seem to have DTS-HD MA soundtracks). While it's a lot more constrained than some of the others mentioned here (I wholeheartedley agree with Die Hard 4), "The Simpsons" has a few good scenes. I actually like the sound on that title because it has a very natural presence to it. Jaw dropping, but in a different way. ;)

How about "Cast Away"? The plane crash scene rocks my whole house.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit

I am using the PS3 as my blu-ray player of choice (love all the other multimedia aspects of that system).

Even though not currently necessary since the PS3 does all the internal decoding, I own a Yamaha RX-V1800 as my main receiver. Great sound out of that baby! I needed a receiver that could process the uncompressed DTS-MA stream of the PS3 after the recent firmware upgrade and the Yamaha I got was a bit of overkill; but, hey, it's more or less future-proof for the next 5 years or so and I got a heck of a deal on it! Plus, I will eventually upgrade to a standalone blu-ray player and by that time I may need a receiver to do the decoding.

The sound is then put out to a set of Atlantic Technology speakers I've had for the past decade. Great sound still and no need to upgrade anytime soon on the speakers (or so I keep telling myself).

As far as HD-DVD is concerned I first owned the XBOX 360 add-on, but with no HDMI or VGA cable 1080p was out (for the HD discs), so I went ahead and picked up a Toshiba HD-A30 on closeout. I don't have any HD-DVDs with DTS-MA and don't plan on purchasing any so the additional $$ for the A35 didn't seem justified to me. It made a helluva lot more financial sense to pick up a new HD player than sell off my HD-DVD collection and repurchase on blu when available.

Of course this is all running to a Sony KDL-52W3000 and looks spectacular!

mike.

Leo

Second Unit

Yeah, this one is fun with the opening ice shelf cracking as well as the twister thru L.A.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Finally being able to bitstream I concur about XMEN3. A totally engrossing soundtrack, very discrete and of course full of bombast!! Pick any scene Jean Grey exhibits her powers and you will be aurally fulfilled!

Howard Tom

Agent
Real Name
Howard Tom

I may be misremembering things, but I thought that the PS3 now only has the ability to internally decode DTS-MA to PCM via HDMI, and before this it could only bitstream DTS core...

Howard

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit

You remember correctly. As I said, the Yamaha with its internal decoding is a bit of overkill at this point as I don't require it to do any decoding as the PS3 does it all internally. But the PCM stream over HDMI of the DTS-MA track from the PS3 (damn, that's a lot of acronyms!) is output correctly to the speakers by the Yamaha, giving me the HD audio I've been after!

mike.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
After picking it up today (despite it's highprice...damn you, Fox!!!), put "Master & Commander" at the top of this list for the attack at sea scene alone. Talk about bombastic! :D

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Absolutely Ron.
Master & Commander is the new reference for BD audio. No doubt about it. The DTS-HD master audio track is better than any I have heard before and I have pretty much heard them all.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

I'm curious to experience this one. I know the DVD track was rocking, so i've no doubt that the DTS-MA track will blow you away!! I'm sure it's so immersive you'll feel like you're on the ship with them.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I got to sample LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD this past weekend. It definitely deserves to be on the list. So much information and the sound was clean, along with being very directional and bombastic!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

I'm not sure it's worth it for everyone just for the audio (I paid $24 on Amazon), but for me it's close...it really does sound THAT good. I've spun it for a few poeple in the past few days and they were stunned by the tactile feeling of those 18-pound cannonballs. Unfortunately, the video is sorely lacking and that might mean a no-sale for many out there.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
For me Master & Commander is a no brainer because it's a great MOVIE, besides having the most brilliant soundscape available on Blu-Ray.

I'm not into action flicks, so I'll put up with the M&C video, which is very good in the daylight scenes, and about par with the DVD upscaled in the dark scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks