What's new

Looking for the most jaw-dropping DTS-HD MA track on blu... (1 Viewer)

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
I've finally updated my receiver and can now fully immerse myself in HD audio goodness!

What I'm looking for is suggestions from first hand listening to various blu-ray discs as to DTS MA quality. I'd like to find a disc with some great demo material to show off the new receiver.

Any suggestions?

mike.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Why the focus on DTS MA? True HD or PCM should sound (literally) every bit as good.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I assumed it was because he had a new 'toy' and wanted to 'play' with it. :)

Anyway, I can't give a first-hand account, as I cannot decode DTS MA at this time, but I have read that The Orphanage has a wicked DTS MA track, and judging by the 'core' I can believe it.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit

Exactly! :)

Of course I've got PCM discs and TrueHD discs, but want to play with an MA disc!

Thanks for the suggestions. Any more?

mike.

TerryPM

Agent
I second the Orphanage. I watched it in DTS MA this week, and it had me jumping out of my seat. The video is also first rate- the color is a little washed out, which I assume was the original intention, but the detail is spectacular.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
I've never even heard of The Orphanage, but maybe I'll take a look at it this weekend...I'm guessing Pan's Labyrinth has a pretty amazing DTS MA track as well.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the golden compass.

whenever she uses the compass the sound field is as enveloping
as any i have ever heard.
full 7.1

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator

It's a shame the film is so bloody bad, i had such high hopes for this after the books, i have to say whoever made the creative decisions on this film dropped a bollock big time.

Hairspray is full of syrupy 7.1 goodness it's brilliant.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree completely with LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD, currently my reference disc for sound and picture for action lovers.

I'd also recommend X-MEN: THE LAST STAND. Terrific sound and picture even if the film is a bit of a come down from the first two films.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
If you're format neutral like I am, there're alot of import HDDVD's which have the DTS-HD MA tracks.
If not, then I recommend DVDCompare.net for your researching needs. Yes, alot of titles which are "Blu" exclusive in Region A aren't literally exclusive as many people tend to think. No, they're actually on HDDVD in other countries. Sometimes better encodings and extras or what-not. Alot of times even lossless audio. Give or take alot of things.:crazy:

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I did recommend him using DVDCompare.net. I suggest you get off my case about it. I don't make random comments about Laserdisc or DIVX now, do I? The format might be dead but as long as both my player and the discs still work, I'll still watch the movies. High Definition is still HD, irregardless of whichever format it's on. And no I don't have any recommendations. Perhaps one of the Resident Evil films on BD has DTS-HD MA audio?
Like I said, RESEARCH DAMMIT!:crazy:

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator

Eh?

He's not asking whether your HDDVD players are still working or whatever he was asking for recommendations and maybe this is part of his research!

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
All I can say is, if he's looking or interested in a particular title, I suggest looking on DVDCompare.net since they list the audio.
For example:
DIE HARD: With a Vengeance
  • Bluray A America - (Fox)

• Commentaries:
    Audio commentary by director John McTiernan, featuring screenwriter Jonathan Hensleigh and (former) Fox head of distribution Tom Sherak
  • Extras:
    "HBO First Look" TV special (22 min)
    "A Night to Die For" TV special(SD, 23 min)
    "Villains with a Vengeance" (4 min)
    Bruce Willis Interview (6 min)
    "EPK" Featurette (5 min)
    Side-by-Side Comparisons (3 min)
    Storyboard Sequence (2 min)
    Alternate Ending (w/ optional commentary) (6 min)
    5 TV-spots
    2 theatrical trailers
    Bonus trailers: "Alien vs. Predator", "Die Hard (1988)", "Die Hard 2 (1990)", and "Live Free or Die Hard AKA Die Hard 4.0 (2007)"
  • Subtitles:
    English HoH, Spanish, Cantonese, and Korean
  • Aspect Ratio:
    2.35:1
  • Picture Format:
    1080p 24fps
  • Soundtrack(s):
    English DTS-HD Master 5.1
    French Dolby Digital 2.0 surround
    Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 surround
  • Case type:
    Amaray (Keep) Case
  • Notes:
    Using AVC MPEG-4 compression. Confirmed to be "Region A". Enhanced for D-Box Motion Control Systems.
So in effect, I'm interested in this title too and probably will be picking up the DIE HARD "Tetralogy" (No bullshit Quadrilogy made up face for me) Boxset. Looks like it carries over all the extras from the R1 Special Edition. Not looked at any DVD vs. Blu comparisons but the version in question I own on DVD was a high offender to the usage of DNR and EE. Can't even watch the damn movie since there's no film grain and looks OVER EE'd. Do you owns it Lance? Does it retain the film grain and everything and is it a BD-50?

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
FWIW, I am format neutral, but lack a DTS-MA decoding or bitstreaming player, so that's out, but thanks for the suggestion; I'll take a look at that site for sure.

I'd love to get Live Free or Die Hard, but was put off with the theatrical-only edition. Now if Fox never released an unrated version on DVD this wouldn't even be a point. But I needs me some F-bombs in my Die Hard movies! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks