What's new

looking for suggestions (1 Viewer)

mckinley_phipps

Auditioning
i had previously been looking for a HTIB but everyone seems to be steering me toward buying separates. i already have a dvd player, i need a reciever, sub, and a 5 or 6 speaker set. the most important aspect i guess would have to be the reciever, while im looking for decently good speakers , i can always upgrade down the road. im trying to stay under 800 dollars or so but wouldnt be opposed to go a little over for a solid system. what would u guys come up with if u were in my shoes?

David Preston

Supporting Actor
You can get a refurbished Marantz receiver from www.accessoriesforless.com for quite a low price maybe a 6200 which is last years model or a 4300,5300 or a 5200 but I would take the 6200 over either of these. Then for speakers you an take a look at the Energy take 5.2 system small and awesome sound. I almost bought these myself. I have a Marantz 7300 but I didn't get it from Accessories for less. It will push your budget a little higher but it will beat HTIB. I'm sure you will get a lot of replys but I just thought I would give a suggestion.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Good call passing on the HTIB, McKinley. Problem with them is if one part of it breaks, the whole thing usually has to be tossed.

what would u guys come up with if u were in my shoes?
If I only had $800 to spend I’d be seriously considering used equipment. If you aren’t married to the “latest and greatest” you can sure get a lot of mileage for your money. For instance, you can get 2-3 year old Dolby Digital receivers on eBay for a couple hundred bucks or even less, all day long. Used speakers can usually be had for half street price.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I would consider the Acoustic Research HC6 system. Four satellites, a center channel and a sub that can be found for a bit over $300. A fine value.

To power this a Denon 1603 should be adequate and it can be found for around $300. There are some who would go for the 1803 model for another $100.

The 1803 has everything you would want, including 6.1 if you choose to add a center rear channel later. At 90 watts/channel, it has enough power to allow upgrades to you speakers later (should you choose).

David Preston

Supporting Actor
mckinley what state do you live in? I have some speakers I'm looking to sell I just upgraded. I'll sell locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks