What's new

Looking for some not so Hot Wings recipes (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Maybe its been the hockey games but I'm on a chicken wing craze!!! Lately I have been making wings with a bottle of Franks buffalo sauce and just dump the whole bottle in and cook them for 2 hours at 350 and then broil just to give a slight crunch. Now the chicken falls right off the bone after that but I find the sauce doesn't get past the skin and the inside is just plain and tasteless. What can I do too fix this? Also I'm weak and i find that the Buffalo sauce is near my limit for hot suace. Just curious if anyone else had a good recipe. P.S. I should add I have a deep fryer if that helps and I love garlic so if it has that all the better!!

Thank you so much.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The original Anchor Bar recipe was deep frying, followed by a dip in 1 part melted, salted butter mixed with 1 part Frank's hot sauce.

CRyan

Screenwriter
I personally believe I have found the absolute best way to prepare them. It sounds a bit odd but they have consistently turned out amazingly well compared to just slow baking or even frying for me.

Steam the wings for 15 minutes in a steamer basket over boiling water. Then bake them at 400-450 for 20-25 minutes per side. They will come out very crispy, but if you want them closer to burnt you can add time with a little broiling. Steaming does something to the fat/water mixture in the wings that really make them crispy in the end and has an added bonus of making the meat come away from the bone once all is said and done.

I like Franks mixed with margarine or butter. Margarine, btw, is used for wings more often than butter. Franks now has a wing sauce already mixed with it.

But I have turned lately to using Crystal. It is really good and a lot of wing afficianados consider it the sauce to use. Again, just mix it with margarine. It is very mild, but can be heated up with red pepper flakes if so desired. You can actually add a little cayenne to the wings prior to steaming as well.

http://www.baumerfoods.com/

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I typically bake my wings. The strategy I use goes like this:

1. Use a little salt, pepper and cayenne over the wings

2. Start cooking the wings (convection baking)

3. 10 min in to the cooking coat the wings using a brush be generous (Franks seem to be the choice right now)

4. Flip them at 20 min
5. 10 min coat with sause

6. 10 min all done ready to eat.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
What would be a good reduced-salt recipe? The wings I've tasted are usually way too salty for my taste

CRyan

Screenwriter
Generally speaking, wings are baked or fried with no initial seasoning. Then they are tossed in a sauce mixture. I didnt mention that in my initial post above - Toss them in sauce after steaming and baking.

Anyway, the only way sodium is going to make it onto wings you make at home is the hot sauce and margerine/butter.

So, I would just go to the store and get a low-sodium butter or margerine and hunt the sauce shelf for a hot sauce with very little salt. Of course, the chicken itself has sodium and if that in itself is adding too much for you, then substitute boiling the chicken for 10 minutes instead of steaming it. That will get rid of a lot of the natural salt in the meat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks