What's new

Looking for some heavy metal or prog CDs to add.. reccomendations? (1 Viewer)

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
I was just wondering if anyone can make some reccomendations for some heavy metal or Prog bands along the lines of the following.
Stratovarius, Symphony X, Sonata arcitca, Tourniquet, Dream theater, testament, queesnsryche, annihilator, yngwie malmsteen, satriani, steve vai and tony macalpine. there are others, but this should cover many of the styles.
You may even end up naming some others that I have since I didn't list them all, but hopefully I'll end up discovering some new ones as well.

Doesn't have to be exactly this style, but several of these bands/artists, since many are not on the radio, I found by luck, so I want to know if there are some other "undsicovered" talents I could add.
thanks in advance. Rock on.
:D

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
How about Pain Of Salvation? Probably one of the most progressive metal bands out there.

Along the lines of the bands you've listed, you probably should check out Adagio, which is along neo-classical lines.

For more progressive metal, you should have Vanden Plas and Superior in your collection.

As for Power Metal, you definitly should have some Edguy. Kinda Helloween meets Iron Madien.

That should keep you going for a while...

Jason

AricB

Second Unit
try Geoff Tates-solo album, from queensryche it's pretty good, but more mellow than queensryche

also, porcupine tree-in absentia is really good, if you have surround sound capabiltiy, pick up the dvd-audio version, sounds awesome in surround

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Death

Symbolic
Indiviual Thought Patterns
Sound Of Perseverance

Amazing technical ability.

Chris*C

Auditioning
If you like Satriani and Via, then you need to check out
BUCKETHEAD!....check out "Cuckoo Clocks of Hell" , he's got about 40 CD's!

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
Frameshift

Their first album had the vocal talent of James LaBrie and their next album will have Sabastian Bach as lead vocals.

Paul

Jamie Goff

Agent
Marillion: Misplaced Childhood-more prog than metal but a phenominal concept album.

Opeth-Damnation which is a softer version of Opeth (no cookie monster vocals). If you want to go to heavy stuff first the I would recomend Blackwater Park(cookie monster vocals mixed with standard singing.

Devin Townsend: Terria

If you like instramental music both Liquid Tension Experiment albums kick ass. They are members of Dream Theater and Tony Levin.

The bands recomended above by the other members on this forum are all top notch.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
I'll second the previous recommendation for Porcupine Tree's In Absentia (my pick for the best ablbum of the decade so far)

To that, I would add the following bands, along with my suggestion for where to start: Ayeron (Electric Castle), OSI (Office of...), Opeth (Blackwater Park), The Gathering (Nighttime Birds), Fates Warning (Pleasant Shade of Gray), Pain of Salvation (probably Concrete Lake).

Chris

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Just wanted to drop in and say THANK YOU for all the reccomendations. Should keep me busy for quite some time trying to track them down. Seems so unfair to the amazing talent, to actually have to dig around to find them in the first place.:angry: But thanks again. Keep the reccomendations coming! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Here's a few:

Liquid Tension Experiment - 1 & 2 (Portnoy, Petrucci & Rudess from DT)
Vinnie Moore - Live!
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (as previously mentioned)
Radiohead - OK Computer
Shadow Gallery - Tyranny
Spock's Beard
Transatlantic
Dali's Dilemma - Manifesto for Futurism
Ark - Burn the Sun

and the Kings of Prog Rock......RUSH!!

Dave>h

Second Unit
lostprophets

Start Something

This is the second album, apparently the first one is not as good and/or very different style.

Gets my vote for best all around Metal Album since Queensryche Operation Mind Crime. Not a bad song on the entire CD IMHO.

Have to try the Porcupine Tree. I am intrigued as I have never heard of them before and they have gotten 3 or four recs above. Maybe I have missed something...

Regards,

Dave

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
Paradise Lost (all)
Amon Amarth - Fate of Norms or Versus the World
Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin or Anthems of Rebellion
Therion - Secret of the Runes
Tristania - World of Glass or Beyond the Veil
Siebenburgen - Delictum
Mork Gryning - Maelstrom Chaos
After Forever - Invisible Circles
Doro (not great, not bad)
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant or Purtitanical Euphoric Misanthropia (gotta' love the names they come up with!)
Callenish Circle - My Passion, Your Pain or Flesh Power Dominion
In Flames - Enroute to Remain or Clayman or Colony or Whoracle
Mortis - The Stargate
Trail of Tears - A New Dimension of Might
and of course, Judas Priest (all).

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Porcupine Tree is not prog/metal. Sure, their most recent album was a bit heavier, but they have more in common with latter-day Marillion, Pink Floyd and even the Beatles than Dream Theater.

I love the band, one of the very few rock bands I still do, but they're just no prog-metal.

I rarely listen to this stuff anymore and actually got rid of quite a bit, but I still get a kick out of a band called Shadow Gallery. Their albums Carved in Stone and Tyranny (a concept album, of course) are pretty cool. Derivative, but with lots of harmony vocals to give it flavor and just really nice songs with the proper dash of cheese.

Opeth is a band I really love at their best and the only with "cookie monster" vocals I listen to. My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life, and Blackwater Park are their best. The songwriting and general flow of the music is the best I've heard in modern metal and the only "death" metal band that makes some of their songs sound like... well, songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks