What's new

Looking for some advice on first receiver (1 Viewer)

Dan Belina

Agent
Hey all,

I'm looking to build a modest HT system, and would like to start with a receiver. I don't currently have speakers, but those will be next.

I have the following inputs: PS2, Xbox, DVD, VCR.
My TV is not currently an HDTV, but since I plan on upgrading in the next year or so, I'd like to get a receiver capable of the connections that it requires.

I'd like to keep the receiver around $300-$350 tops, if possible but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

-Dan

Chris Brock

Second Unit
Hi Dan! do you know what format you ware looking for? by that i mean do you want a 5.1 system a 6.1 or a 7.1? Also do you have any preference as to where you buy the reciever? would online be ok or must it be from a authorized dealer?

Dan Belina

Agent
Chris,

5.1 or 6.1 would be ok. I'm not that much of an audiophile that I'd need 7.1 (let alone that many speakers) But I've heard not many DVD's even include 6.1 audio yet? Is this something that will be mainstream soon?

Online would be fine. There aren't many authorized Home Theater dealers near me anyways, with the exception of the big chain stores (BB, Circuit City, Sears, etc...)

ChadLB

Screenwriter
The 4 in that price range that come to mind are:
Pioneer 914
Onkyo 601
Yamaha 5760
Harman Kardon 230

Most prices being online.
They all have there Plus/Minuses.

BobMcN

Grip
6.1 offers several advantages, but you may want to get a reveiver that had Dolby Digital EX (extended, so it can handle a rear center channel).

The biggest advantage in my book is obtained in large rooms, where the rear wall is far behind the seating location. If your seat is right up against a wall then this does nothing for you.

The second biggest advantage is you can now purchase 3 sets of speakers. 2 main L-R, 2 rear-ambience, and 2 that match the front pair (one for the center front and one for the center rear). The advantage here is that you can avoid getting a sideways built center channel speaker, which is a compromize. Get a real speaker pair and use the extra one in the rear.

Enjoy,
Bob

dosei

Auditioning
Bob:
"If your seat is right up against a wall then this does nothing for you."

This applies to me, actually. My viewing position is right against the wall. You're stating that in my position against the wall a rear center channel speaker is not practical? Thanks for your comments on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks