What's new

Looking for solid device to stream PC Desktop via HDMI from PC to TV (1 Viewer)

herkulese

Grip
Real Name
Roger
Hi everyone,
I am new here and am not sure this is the correct place to ask this, but I believe it to be well within the home theater realm.
Please correct me if I am wrong, and you will have my sincere apologies.
I currently run an HDMI cable from my laptop to my reciever, which has 4 HDMI ins, and 1 HDMI out to the Flat Panel TV.
This automatically gives the sound throught the sound system speakers, and the desktop on my TV.
Now I am looking for a device to send the desktop to my tv wireless HDMI.
There are several units on the market, but the reviews are all over the map. Some say they work great, and others say they almost fon't work at all.
It seems that this technology might still be too new to be truly solid, and I would to hear whar you all might know about wireles HDMI. PC to TV streaming devices.
Here is one that was mentioned by a responder in another forum, but I can find only the 3 reviews shown on the Amizon sight. They are all very posative, but again the unit could be hit or miss just like the others that I have found many reviews on.
Nyrius Aries Prime
Thanks for any comments at all,
Herkulese

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you are already using a PC, there is no reason for another device. No matter what device you choose...it will have limitations your PC does not.
I posted that where you originally asked...now about this Nyrius...
It is pretty good wireless HDMI device. Which if you want to be able to still use your laptop from your couch while watching Netflix, sure. It is hardly the only one out there. And no, there isn't a "best wireless HDMI device"...
You might need to buy 2-3 different ones to find the one that works best in your situation and return the other 1/2.
Edit:
No I don't know "where it is" at the moment(there is a link in some thread here), but some guy somewhere bought a few of these wireless HDMI and tried them out. None of them worked "flawlessly" for everything. Some had better video, some had better audio. Some need "line of sight", some work through walls.
Like I said prior, these things are hit and miss and one that gets bad reviews by someone else...might work best at your house over another one. Point being...even with cordless phones...sometimes you have to take more than one home...to figure out which works best.

herkulese

Grip
Real Name
Roger
1st ) You have my appologies for posting the Wireless question in two places. The info in the other thread was not meant as a question, but more in the way of contextual background regarding what I was doing with the HDMI cable. I do see, however, how it can be seen as a short version of the same question as posted here. I will endeavor not to do this in the future.
2nd) Let me clarify that, yes, I am using my laptop to stream to my TV, not a fixed media PC with a remote. I am, currently, using an HDMI cable, and it works perfectly. A wireless device would just be so much cleaner and simpler.
I may just go with the Nyrius Aries Prime, as the price is right, relatively speaking, and from what I have read, it requires no dedicated software to be installed in order to function.
Still more comments would be appreciated.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are you just needing a streaming device so that you can use your laptop as a PC instead of a streamer?

herkulese

Grip
Real Name
Roger
Robert_J said:
Are you just needing a streaming device so that you can use your laptop as a PC instead of a streamer?
No. I have a streaming device now, in the form of an HDMI cable between my laptop and my TV, and I do this so that I can watch my PC (Laptop) on my big screen TV.
I have a ROKU box, and I like it a lot, but it is linited to the channels they subscribe to, and is not the same as having your actual desktop on the TV.
Now I am looking for a device that will make this connection wirelessly.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What content do you want to stream? I know Roku doesn't do YouTube. Are you wanting YouTube and other online streaming content? Would an Android based player work for you? There are some $70 boxes that will connect to the TV via HDMI. Add in a blue-tooth keyboard/pad and you have almost a full PC in a player smaller than a Roku.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The monoprice version is worth a look also:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011011&p_id=8087&seq=1&format=2

herkulese

Grip
Real Name
Roger
Robert_J said:
What content do you want to stream? I know Roku doesn't do YouTube. Are you wanting YouTube and other online streaming content? Would an Android based player work for you? There are some $70 boxes that will connect to the TV via HDMI. Add in a blue-tooth keyboard/pad and you have almost a full PC in a player smaller than a Roku.
Will it put my desktop on my TV?
Do you have a link that you could share?
Sounds interesting.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Waitaminute...

Why not just leave the laptop hard-wired to the system via HDMI, but use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse like Robert_J implied so you can sit comfortably in your couch while your laptop sits over near the receiver all quiet and out of the way like.

You're not looking to eliminate the laptop and replace it with something else, you're trying to simply eliminate the long HDMI cable that connects the laptop to the receiver, right?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You want your Window's desktop on your TV? Like a Remote Desktop type application? Or do you want any desktop (Android in this case) desktop on your TV? I'm sure it can do either.
Here's the Android box - http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Dual-core-Android-RK3066-ownshop/dp/B009PJ3AZ4/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355263339&sr=1-3&keywords=android+mk808
A video describing what this mini-pc can do -

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I was/am confused as well. Only when he mentioned that he wanted to "stream" his windows desktop to his TV did a light begin to flicker...

herkulese

Grip
Real Name
Roger
Jason Charlton said:
Waitaminute...
Why not just leave the laptop hard-wired to the system via HDMI, but use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse like Robert_J implied so you can sit comfortably in your couch while your laptop sits over near the receiver all quiet and out of the way like.
You're not looking to eliminate the laptop and replace it with something else, you're trying to simply eliminate the long HDMI cable that connects the laptop to the receiver, right?
Actualy, this might be the better way to go. Do they make a bluetuth keybord with a touch pad so that you don't have to move a mouse around on your leg?
I will have to look into this.
schan1269 said:
I don't think he understands the difference between streaming content vs. wireless HDMI...
Again, I apologize for being confusing. I call wireless HDMI streaming, and that is probably incorrect. The laptop would be streaming already, and I would simply be sending the signal to my TV using the Wireless HDMI. Does that clear things up a bit?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The bluetooth keyboard seems to be the best option. Newegg and Amazon have dozens. If you look at the Android box I link to, the combo pack has a keyboard with touch pad. Just click that link. I think it's $30 or something. If you want a full sized one, they have those as well.

herkulese

Grip
Real Name
Roger
Robert_J said:
The bluetooth keyboard seems to be the best option. Newegg and Amazon have dozens. If you look at the Android box I link to, the combo pack has a keyboard with touch pad. Just click that link. I think it's $30 or something. If you want a full sized one, they have those as well.
Thanks a lot Robrt, and all the rest of you guys.
This seems like a real community.
I will have to remember this place, and I will post back when I decide what to do.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have the Logitech K400. It works very well. It is a tad "cramped", but I don't use it full time.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-920-003070/dp/B005DKZTMG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355282181&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+k400
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-K400-Wireless-Touch-Keyboard-with-Built-In-Multi-Touch-Touchpad-/360532787090?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item53f16dbf92 (if you feel like rolling the dice, there are several on Fleabay where they might end up less, but you'd have to wait a few days for various auctions to end)

herkulese

Grip
Real Name
Roger
Anyone here have any info on the Logitech diNovo Mini, or diNovo Edge keyboards?
These have been discontinued, but can still be found on Amizon and other locations.
The Logitech K400 looks very interesting and gets a lot of good customer reviews.
Anyone care to weigh in on this one?
Then there is the IOGEAR Multi Media Keyboard with Lazer track ball and buttons?
Seems to have all the features, but maybe not very well made.
Any infor here?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Never used any of those, but I do have a Logitech Harmony remote control and have always been satisfied with Logitech products in the past.

That Logitech diNovo Edge keyboard looks really sweet and for what you get, that price seems pretty good. That would probably get my vote.

herkulese

Grip
Real Name
Roger
Jason Charlton said:
That Logitech diNovo Edge keyboard looks really sweet and for what you get, that price seems pretty good.  That would probably get my vote.
Yea, I liked both of those, and the edge does look sweet, but I realy like the size of the Mini.
My only concern is that they are both discontinued, and one wonders why.
Still leaning toward the K400.......
Decisions, Decisions.......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks