What's new

Looking for seperate prepro that does 2 channel well ,~$1500 new or used. (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Was adding an outboard DAC not an option?

I'm asking because I'm in the same situation. I'm looking for something to replace my Yamaha RXV630 preamp wise, and to go with my Rotel 1075. I was thinking RSP-1066, but then someone suggested getting an outboard DAC instead if 2-channel was a priority.

Since you mentioned it, in my setup, the Denon 2200 sounds much better via digital out than through analog out. The soundstage is *MUCHO* bigger. This was confirmed on a friend's system (Maggie 2.7QRs...I think, Bryston 4B, etc...).

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Was adding an outboard DAC not an option?

I'm asking because I'm in the same situation. I'm looking for something to replace my Yamaha RXV630 preamp wise, and to go with my Rotel 1075. I was thinking RSP-1066, but then someone suggested getting an outboard DAC instead if 2-channel was a priority.

Since you mentioned it, in my setup, the Denon 2200 sounds much better via digital out than through analog out. The soundstage is *MUCHO* bigger. This was confirmed on a friend's system (Maggie 2.7QRs...I think, Bryston 4B, etc...).

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Hey Drew, I assume you mean for Redbook CD playback? If so I tried an outboard DAC, an MSB Link DAC 2 and it was not much of a change. However I recently purchased an old Sony SCD-C85ES CD player off of Ebay and it blows the Denon, MSB Link DAC and Yamaha out of the water for Redbook CDs...incidentally the Denon , MS Link DAC II and Yamaha 3300 all use Burr Brown DACs while I am not sure what the Sony uses...I do know that there is just an all in one board in the Sony so in appearance youd think it would not sound as good , however youd be greatly mistaken.

I am happy with what the Sony CDP-C85ES brought to the table for Redbook playback but I am looking for more...as usual of course. :)

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Hey Drew, I assume you mean for Redbook CD playback? If so I tried an outboard DAC, an MSB Link DAC 2 and it was not much of a change. However I recently purchased an old Sony SCD-C85ES CD player off of Ebay and it blows the Denon, MSB Link DAC and Yamaha out of the water for Redbook CDs...incidentally the Denon , MS Link DAC II and Yamaha 3300 all use Burr Brown DACs while I am not sure what the Sony uses...I do know that there is just an all in one board in the Sony so in appearance youd think it would not sound as good , however youd be greatly mistaken.

I am happy with what the Sony CDP-C85ES brought to the table for Redbook playback but I am looking for more...as usual of course. :)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I just posted a new thread that is very similar to yours. In effect, we are looking for more or less the same thing in the same price range.

The DAC I was referred to by someone else was the Bel Canto DAC2, which is ~$1300CND new. I'd had the Musical Fidelity A3.24 on my list of other possibilities as well (~$700-750USD used).

My thread goes into more detail and adds a few other options I have.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I just posted a new thread that is very similar to yours. In effect, we are looking for more or less the same thing in the same price range.

The DAC I was referred to by someone else was the Bel Canto DAC2, which is ~$1300CND new. I'd had the Musical Fidelity A3.24 on my list of other possibilities as well (~$700-750USD used).

My thread goes into more detail and adds a few other options I have.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
James,

Congrats, $890 is the lowest I've ever seen a Soundstage go for! The onboard dacs are two generations past Aragon's own D2A2 dac and should be at least as good as the MSB Link DAC2 and dacs in players like the Sony 333es SACD changer. Rich, who posted earlier, had a Yamaha RXV3000 before getting his Soundstage and noticed a big improvement.

Setup: do the factory reset. The setup (ie, which keys do what) is not the most intuitive, but it is simple.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
James,

Congrats, $890 is the lowest I've ever seen a Soundstage go for! The onboard dacs are two generations past Aragon's own D2A2 dac and should be at least as good as the MSB Link DAC2 and dacs in players like the Sony 333es SACD changer. Rich, who posted earlier, had a Yamaha RXV3000 before getting his Soundstage and noticed a big improvement.

Setup: do the factory reset. The setup (ie, which keys do what) is not the most intuitive, but it is simple.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Well I am hoping for something leaps better than the MSB Link which used a single Burr Brown DAC , the 3300 uses alot newer and advanced Burr Brown DACs ..I think 1792s or something like that.

What DACs does the 333ES use? Currently my CDP-C85ES is the best sounding piece I have...I have took it apart but I cannot identify the DACs... Perhaps I 'll show a pic of the inside so someone here can do so.
..id sure like to know.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Well I am hoping for something leaps better than the MSB Link which used a single Burr Brown DAC , the 3300 uses alot newer and advanced Burr Brown DACs ..I think 1792s or something like that.

What DACs does the 333ES use? Currently my CDP-C85ES is the best sounding piece I have...I have took it apart but I cannot identify the DACs... Perhaps I 'll show a pic of the inside so someone here can do so.
..id sure like to know.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter

Thats cool, supposedly its mint too and she is throwing in an MX-500 remote with the deal as well. It should be shipping today so hopefully I will have it my next week sometime.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter

Thats cool, supposedly its mint too and she is throwing in an MX-500 remote with the deal as well. It should be shipping today so hopefully I will have it my next week sometime.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Well I already got it, I just popped off the top and snapped some pics of the guts and found out the hard way that the screw heads are the snap off kind to prevent users from mucking up their warranty. Oh well, I'll definately be repalcing all of them with something better.

I see the 5.1 analog input is some sort of PC type connector..where in the heck to I get an analog cable for SACD?

Anyhow I have lots of work to do..I should be up and running in 30 minutes...I am looking forward to it!

I'll post some pics later on. :D

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Well I already got it, I just popped off the top and snapped some pics of the guts and found out the hard way that the screw heads are the snap off kind to prevent users from mucking up their warranty. Oh well, I'll definately be repalcing all of them with something better.

I see the 5.1 analog input is some sort of PC type connector..where in the heck to I get an analog cable for SACD?

Anyhow I have lots of work to do..I should be up and running in 30 minutes...I am looking forward to it!

I'll post some pics later on. :D

Drew_W

Screenwriter

It's a DB25 connector I believe. There are breakout cables sold all over the place. Check audiogon/eBay.

Drew_W

Screenwriter

It's a DB25 connector I believe. There are breakout cables sold all over the place. Check audiogon/eBay.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
James,

Onkyo sells a db25 to 6 RCA "converter" cable for $13 plus $6 S&H. Just add 6 RCA cables. Or you can buy a DB25-RCA cable for ~ $80-150.

$890 including the MX-500 is an incredible deal!

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
James,

Onkyo sells a db25 to 6 RCA "converter" cable for $13 plus $6 S&H. Just add 6 RCA cables. Or you can buy a DB25-RCA cable for ~ $80-150.

$890 including the MX-500 is an incredible deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks