What's new

Looking for Remote (1 Viewer)

Todd~P

Auditioning
I'm looking for a one for all remote...I would like one to be able to change video on the tv...The one I use now when I hit TV/VD it just changes from "ANT1" to "ANT2"..It does not actually change the video...Thanks in advance

Todd

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
Although I dont own one it is my understanding that the "One-for-all" brand remotes are very capable. Try doing some searching at remotecentral.com you can buy an inexpesive cable called the JP1 cable and program just about any function you want from your computer.

Byron_T

Grip
I own the Harmony SST-659 and it controls everything I have. It depends on how much cash you are looking to spend.

TommyB

Stunt Coordinator
As Clint said, a JP1 compatible "One for All" remote is very capable. The Radio Shack JP1 compatible remotes are excellent as well. I have the 15-2116 programmed to control 3 TiVos, HDTV receiver, Yamaha 1400, DVD, and CD player.

Find out everything you want to know about JP1 at JP1 Forum

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
For a budget-priced remote, it's hard to beat the One For All units. I own one for our bedroom system. For our main home theater, though, I prefer something where I can label individual buttons with their proper functions and have clearly named macros or "activities". I am using a Harmony SST-659 for our HT to completely control seven components and absolutely love the remote.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Todd.

You may have a Television problem, not a remote problem.

Most televisions let you scroll through the various inputs. But only some televisions have buttons that jump you directly to AntA, Input1, etc.

A remote with Macro/learning capability wont be able to help you unless your television supports the "Jump directly to input" feature.

Look at the original remote. If it forces you to toggle through the inputs - you are stuck.

There is another thing you can do if you have the equipment.

Does your AV receiver offer SVideo switching? If so you can do this:

- Run SVideo from every source (DVD, CATV box, Sat, Game) to your reciever.

- Run 1 SVideo cable from the reciever output to the TV.

Now you leave your television looking at the SVideo feed all the time and your reciever takes care of switching to different sources. (And almost all recievers have buttons to jump directly to a input).

Radio Shack has some $20 adaptors that convert Composite video (single RCA cable colored yellow) to SVideo. This can make all your older sources like the VCR appear to be SVideo devices.

Hope this helps.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Can anyone explain how the Harmony SST-659 compare to the Sony RM-AV3000 or the Phillips TSU500? I am looking for a remote to control all of my home theater functions (including the lights) and am not sure what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Todd, you are looking for "discrete codes" for the "one for all". What brand is your TV? You may be able to program a discrete code to switch the input even though the TV remote only allows toggling/scrolling. I have programmed these to switch the input and display mode of my Toshiba even though the default only toggles/scrolls. Check here under the program code for your TV:

OFA Advanced/Discrete codes

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
How does the Harmony SST-659 compare with the MX-500. I am looking for a good Universal Remote to control:

Pioneer 58" RPTV
Pioneer 646A DVD Player
JVC VCR
Americast Digital Cable box

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
I have had the Harmony ST-659 remote for over two weeks now and could not be happier.
The set-up, down loads, and customer support have been excellent.
It controls my Sony KP-57WS510 HDRPTV, Yamaha RX-V640 receiver, Sony DVPN725N DVD player, RCA VHS player, and Comcast/Motorola 6100(?) HD cable box.
Anyone can use this remote, and the WAF is high.
Combined with a modest price and good availability, it can't be beat IMO.

Good Luck!

Al. Wise

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks